Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Free vitamin D if you're high risk and have the letter. Closes 11January.

(19 Posts)
wobblywin Sat 09-Jan-21 19:35:46

I've just seen this, you've probably got a thread for it already, but this is your last ditch chance to apply. From the govt website (link below)

Use this service to get free daily vitamin D supplements if you're at high risk (clinically extremely vulnerable) from coronavirus (COVID-19).
When you apply, we will check you're on the shielded patients list of people at high risk from coronavirus. If you have received a letter about this, you're on the list. And your NHS number is on the letter.

You need to apply before Monday 11 January 2021.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/get-vitamin-d-supplements/

wobblywin Sat 09-Jan-21 19:49:52

You can use this service if all of these apply:

- you have received a letter from the NHS or the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) saying you're at high risk from coronavirus
- you're aged 18 or over
- you live in England

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 20:12:52

Reported.

welbeck Sat 09-Jan-21 20:16:23

? why reported ?

Marydoll Sat 09-Jan-21 20:38:15

In Scotland those who are eligible have already been contacted directly by the Scottish Govt and Vit D supplied.

Not sure what the point of wobblywin's thread is.

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 20:40:47

Reported just so that admin can take a look at it and decide.

I haven't seen wobblywin posting before, and I'm suspicious by nature.

Callistemon Sat 09-Jan-21 20:43:55

It seems to be an NHS site, so GNHQ can investigate..

Again it is England only.
We have so much sunshine in Wales we get plenty of Vit. D.

welbeck Sat 09-Jan-21 20:45:05

well the NHS page looks pukka, and there is an electronic form to apply; unless you think it's all a ruse to harvest personal details...

MissAdventure Sat 09-Jan-21 20:49:59

I've no idea, to be honest.
I tend to take the "don't click the link" at face value, because I don't really understand it all.

EllanVannin Sat 09-Jan-21 20:57:05

2 days notice ? I don't think so.

welbeck Sat 09-Jan-21 21:02:17

i don't understand what people are suspicious about.
i have just entered, nhs free vit d, in google search engine and got exactly the same page. checked the title bar.
i think OP is maybe just trying to be helpful, nudging people to apply for these before the cut-off, and it will benefit us all if it keeps covid from anyone's door.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:13:02

It seemed to me that applying may be far more trouble than it's actually worth.

Vitamin D supplements are fairly cheap anyway, a good idea for (especially winter) topping up - and recommended for everyone, especially the elderly.

So, really, unless you're struggling financially, why not just buy them?

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 21:34:10

We have so much sunshine in Wales we get plenty of Vit.D.

hmm are you sure about that Callistemon? Really and truly? Hmmmm?

wobblywin Sat 09-Jan-21 21:34:57

Indeed why not just buy them? I have.

For those worried about clicking the link you don't need to. The web address will be on the letter you received to say that you are shielding. If you don't have the letter, you won't be on the list. The letter also has your NHS number on it which you'll need to apply.

I agree, I never click links.

rubysong Sat 09-Jan-21 21:37:58

We should all be taking vit d during winter months to boost our immune system. I take it all year round following a broken wrist and recommended by my doctor. Since covid started I have increased the amount. On sunny days in winter we still won't get much as we are probably covered in gloves, hats coats etc. This is very important for BAME or any dark skinned people as they don't make so much naturally. I heard a doctor on TV say all the covid patients on ventilators are deficient in vit d.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:41:15

It's known that low levels of vitamin D are associated with more severe Covid symptoms and worse outcomes.

Therefore, I think it's a no-brainer, everybody should take it (unless, of course, you live somewhere especially sunny, never use sunblock and lie out in the sun - when you may have other problems).

dragonfly46 Sat 09-Jan-21 21:45:25

I have had been notified that I am eligible but I already have these on prescription.

Ashcombe Sat 09-Jan-21 22:09:46

I’ve had them prescribed in combination with calcium since 2005 when I had my arthritic hip resurfaced.

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 22:12:10

But they are so cheap why would anyone use this unless they are really really poor It’s just using money that could go for more important things