Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

PPE

(10 Posts)
MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 09:55:22

We do seem to have got to grips with the provision of PPE in our hospitals and care homes this time round (I hope) but I was a bit shocked by this photo in today’s DT.

Theses nurses in the Czech Republic (presumably in ICU) seemed to be wearing little more protection than my dental hygienist, in fact less.confused
Hair covering? Visors?
Are different countries applying different criteria I wonder. And how risky for the poor frontline health care staff.

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 10:14:33

As they are in the EU I am surprised that they are not getting supplies of proper PPE equipment.
The EU states that it is tackling the crisis by:
Helping ensure supply of medical equipment: increased production in EU and joint procurement

Perhaps it is just too cumbersome and bureaucratic to be able to work efficiently in a crisis such as this? Some countries seem to have been able to get supplies, though:

But this European solidarity was less obvious in other areas early in the crisis, with some countries competing against each other for PPE, while others placed restrictions on what medical supplies could be exported to neighbouring states, says Prof. Kovács. Germany, for example, was accused of withholding vital protective equipment from Austria and Switzerland, while Poland also put strict restrictions on what medical equipment could leave its borders.
In a crisis, each for their own, seemingly.
horizon-magazine.eu/article/lack-solidarity-hampered-europe-s-coronavirus-response-research-finds.html

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-Jan-21 10:16:21

I agree with you there MawBe.
I was concerned last night on the BBC news to see a patient being transferred from an ambulance queue into the hospital building. It set my alarm bell ringing to see the 3 ambulance attendants were wearing masks and gloves but no apron or any other form of protection.

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-21 18:28:32

Not everything is standardised in the EU. Possibly PPE decisions are a national matter and the Czechs consider the PPE shown to be sufficient.

vegansrock Tue 12-Jan-21 18:46:41

Some people like to bash any differences between EU countries as they believe the myth they aren’t individual countries with the ability to prioritise . I am sure we could all find photos from U.K. hospitals, care homes and the like with poor and / or very differing PPE supplies.

MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 18:52:05

Some people like to bash any differences between EU countries as they believe the myth they aren’t individual countries with the ability to prioritise

Well I’m not one of them, so stop stirring. ???? .

MawBe Tue 12-Jan-21 18:55:08

Before you go off on one, you might care to read the caption, Vegansrock which points out that this pic was taken in a region of the Czech Republic where infections have soared

There just might be a connection?

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Jan-21 19:00:01

This is from last year - also kn the telegraph:

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 19:00:18

Some people like to bash any differences between EU countries as they believe the myth they aren’t individual countries with the ability to prioritise

I know some people don't like links but perhaps it might be a good idea to take a glance before casting aspersions vegansrock.

A similar thing is happening with vaccines, MawBe.

It's very disturbing and surely against the spirit of a United Europe supplies are not distributed proportionately in a pandemic such as this.

Although I voted remain, I think am realistic enough (and dismayed to see that, in a crisis, it seems to be an attitude of look out for yourselves first as far as the better-off countries in the EU are concerned.

It's sad and disheartening.

petra Tue 12-Jan-21 19:14:43

MawBee
Don't forget, The Czech Republic have been on the eu naughty step for a couple of years. ?