Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Epi pens

(8 Posts)
mokryna Wed 13-Jan-21 09:23:18

I know I will have to discuss this with my doctor, so please don’t tell me the obvious. I would just like to know if anyone has had any experience, if anyone had any problems with having the inoculation because you may need to use, in certain situations, an epi pen? Were you denied the vaccine because you have an Epi pen on the grounds that it was too dangerous with the Pfizer and were told you would have to wait for the Oxford one?
Thank you.

Jaffacake2 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:50:18

According to the government protocol on covid vaccine anyone suffering from severe drug or food allergies can have the vaccine. People who are allergic to the ingredients of the vaccine will be excluded.
I have have several anaphylactic shocks to drugs and foods over last decade. Unfortunately I also have asthma and a neurological condition so feel that I would not do well if I caught the virus.
So weighing up the risks I am going to have the vaccine and hope I don't go into an allergic reaction.

Nanna58 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:53:06

I think it would be wise to tell the vaccinators, Good luck ?

mokryna Wed 13-Jan-21 09:56:42

Thank you. * jaffacake2*. I also take daily medicine for asthma. Unfortunately, I am also allergic to Jaffa cakes!

Marydoll Wed 13-Jan-21 09:59:03

My son carries an Epi pen and the advice I believe is that you should have your Epi pen with you, but discuss the vaccine with your clinician prior to going, in case you are not suitable.

I will be having a conversation about my suitability at the end of the month.

mokryna Wed 13-Jan-21 10:03:59

France is not up to speed in my area, as they are concentrating on the towns that are suffering most, so I don’t think I will be called until the end of next month. I will be seeing my doctor before then.

Jaffacake2 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:05:23

mokryna

Thank you. * jaffacake2*. I also take daily medicine for asthma. Unfortunately, I am also allergic to Jaffa cakes!

Yes me too allergic to wheat and chocolate !

mokryna Wed 13-Jan-21 10:10:05

Oh no chocolate!