Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New "Killer" mask

(18 Posts)
giulia Mon 18-Jan-21 15:29:24

Read recently about a new five-layer, two-way effective mask, developed by British chemist Gareth Cave with Nottingham Trent University.

It has five layers and the central one is soaked in nano particles of copper, treated with new technology.

this layer emits ions that destroy the genetic material in the covid virus, thus stopping its reproduction. The mask's effectiveness is seven hours and can be safely touched as any virus in it has been destroyed.

The EU is studying same with intention of sale in the whole of Europe at cost of E1/mask.

Is this mask on sale in UK yet? If not, why not. It sounds like a boon.

It is not a hoax as a chemist friend has read an article about it in a science magazine.

dayvidg Mon 18-Jan-21 15:37:12

I bought some washable copper masks a few weeks ago, as I have long been aware of the anti-bacterial benefits of copper.
easylife.co.uk

EllanVannin Mon 18-Jan-21 15:57:06

Shove a couple of 1p's where your nostrils are grin

GagaJo Mon 18-Jan-21 16:42:33

LOL EV...

I am confident that my GOOD masks (opposed to the cheap ones I wear at times) catch all the virus. It is my eyes that I worry about being exposed.

cornishpatsy Mon 18-Jan-21 17:02:36

It concerns me the number of single fabric pretty masks that people make and sell on Facebook.

MayBee70 Mon 18-Jan-21 23:30:22

GagaJo

LOL EV...

I am confident that my GOOD masks (opposed to the cheap ones I wear at times) catch all the virus. It is my eyes that I worry about being exposed.

That worries me too. There was talk of people catching the virus through their eyes at the start of the pandemic but no one seems to mention it now. On the rare occasion that I do go into a shop I wear glasses anyway so I can read things.

Blossoming Tue 19-Jan-21 00:13:54

I think this is what the OP is referring to. This is a pharma trade mag.

www.pharm2farm.org/british-scientists-develop-facemask-which-can-kill-viruses-on-contact/

Blossoming Tue 19-Jan-21 00:15:50

Don’t think they’re available to the public yet. This is from Nottingham Uni website.

www.ntu.ac.uk/about-us/news/news-articles/2020/11/scientists-develop-facemask-which-can-kill-viruses-on-contact

giulia Tue 19-Jan-21 07:46:56

Blossoming: Thank you for your information. I would have thought there would be much more public interest!

Yogagirl Tue 19-Jan-21 08:25:39

Yes I wear reading glasses too, when shopping, so do feel this is protecting my eyes. Only problem is the steaming up, so have to remove from time to time.

Hetty58 Tue 19-Jan-21 08:37:19

Even the best mask is pretty useless if it doesn't fit. There should be no gaps at the edges.

People are generally overconfident that they're magically 'protected' somehow - which is dangerous.

Far better to stay well away from people, shops and any contact until we're vaccinated.

Hetty58 Tue 19-Jan-21 08:40:32

Don't forget your aviator goggles or face shield too!

PippaZ Tue 19-Jan-21 09:15:13

cornishpatsy

It concerns me the number of single fabric pretty masks that people make and sell on Facebook.

Are they really single layer? That does surprise me as all the patterns I have seen are at least double and usually double with an extra layer for a filter pocket. I think the only single layer ones I have seen are the ones made in a single layer of scuba and the government has warned against these.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:40:52

I do have filters to put inside my cotton masks. Not that I go anywhere. If I do I wear medical grade masks.

MrsEggy Wed 20-Jan-21 17:31:32

When I visited our local hospital today I was instructed to remove my facemask and wear one of the pale blue hospital issue ones, It seemed quite flimsy and not a good fit, I had to bin it when I left. Are they really better than a double layer homemade cotton one?

Katek Wed 20-Jan-21 18:36:15

It’s all to do with filtration efficiency. The weave size of fabrics used to make cloth masks can vary considerably, with some having a weave size big enough to allow passage of the virus. Research is being done on the efficacy of different fabrics and combinations of fabrics but I don’t think there are definitive guidelines as yet. A medical grade mask has a much smaller weave, and the ones used in medical settings are usually moisture repellent as well which helps to protect against airborne viruses if breathed on. A badly fitting mask of any description can reduce efficacy by up to 60%

varian Tue 26-Jan-21 10:32:33

Austrians on Monday swapped their cloth face coverings for medical-grade FFP2 masks, now mandatory for those over 14 on public transport, shops and businesses, pharmacies as well as hospitals or medical practices.

Austria is among the first European countries to make FFP2 masks mandatory.

The measure has largely been accepted without complaint, despite controversy over other measures such as the closing of schools while ski lifts remain open.

www.france24.com/en/europe/20210125-austria-makes-ffp2-masks-mandatory-in-shops-public-transport

MayBee70 Tue 26-Jan-21 15:44:58

I saw a comment on Facebook that said Australia made difference grades of mask mandatory according to the infection rate. I’m so pleased that Australia have handled the pandemic so well but can’t understand why the U.K. still quibble about taking measures that have been commonplace in some countries for months eg making people quarantine in hotels near to the airport when entering a country. The argument is often that it’s because other countries are so authoritative but you can’t say that about Australia.