Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Over 1800 deaths yesterday

(37 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 21-Jan-21 08:58:07

Creeping up to nearly 2000 deaths per day. This horrifying figure has at least in part be laid at the door if the easing of restrictions over Christmas. Entirely predictable. Why didn't the government learn?

MayBee70 Sat 23-Jan-21 23:15:38

I’ve been watching feel good travel programmes. Rick Steins Cornwall, Robison Green in Northumberland. All those lovely Ch5 programmes. The only thing unusual about them was that no one stood close to anyone else. Which made me realise how almost normal life was in the summer when these programmes were filmed compared to now (at least it was for the people in the programmes:I was still shielding). And sometimes comments about lockdown as if that was it and there wouldn’t be another one. It made me feel terribly sad when I think about where we are now. And also how this lockdown isn’t really a lockdown compared to the first one. It made me sad as well thinking how much I was enjoying these programmes because I realised it was because tv and the internet was allowing me to revisit places I’d been to but young people weren’t able to do the things I did when I was younger. Anyway: back to the BBC4 programme about Paris....

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 04:34:58

Portsmouth has quite high numbers (as has most of the country), but they're not that high when compared with many other places.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map?fbclid=IwAR3Photb5yKfjt-CCGuanbxZCB3ApfBIqjrUiKWv61si2inQ8510k1jnhNg

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1APtcBmI4JeTR0Ysufjavgg2gy4MBiHz0Hf9eKIp5BSo/preview#gid=1865138965

Ro60 Sat 23-Jan-21 00:31:28

Portsmouth also high numbers. - Another port - not asylum seekers but a goods entry / exit point.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 23:45:10

welbeck

i don't remember them saying re the new strain that it was less serious.
i remember them saying that it was equally as serious, no more, but more infectious.
now they are saying that it results in greater mortality, so more serious after all. as well as being more infectious.

It's being said that it's a possibility, not that it's certain.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 23:44:28

blondenana

MaisieD nothing to do with being racist,.all the borders were supposed to be closed to everyone,
The airlines were supposed to be closed much earlier,wherever they came from and weren't,
Which is another reason the new variants have been brought in, but it's true that the camp where the asylum seekers are has got an outbreak

It's also true that mutations (variants) arise spontaneously and randomly. Every time a virus is transmitted, a change can happen in its genetic code. Some of those changes cause the virus to be less viable and become harmless. Others cause it t become more virulent and it will come to dominate the original virus, which is what's happened here.

You have absolutely no evidence that the new variant arrived with asylum seekers or anybody else who has arrived in the country by any means.

It really isn't surprising that Covid is rife in the camps where asylum keepers are kept, if you look at the conditions in which they're living. It is equally as possible that somebody who is supervising them has introduced infection to the camp.

welbeck Fri 22-Jan-21 22:58:35

i don't remember them saying re the new strain that it was less serious.
i remember them saying that it was equally as serious, no more, but more infectious.
now they are saying that it results in greater mortality, so more serious after all. as well as being more infectious.

Luckygirl Fri 22-Jan-21 22:52:18

The prospects, even with the vaccine, are not looking good at all. We are going to be locked into this for a long time to come.

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 22:48:12

MaisieD nothing to do with being racist,.all the borders were supposed to be closed to everyone,
The airlines were supposed to be closed much earlier,wherever they came from and weren't,
Which is another reason the new variants have been brought in, but it's true that the camp where the asylum seekers are has got an outbreak

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 22:42:58

Alegrias1 yes they did at the beginning,they said it is more transmissible,but not as serious
I am not a conspiracy theorist at all,that is what was said
Tonight on the BBC1 update they have said different

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 22:35:39

At last they have admitted that this new variant is killing more people than the original one,whih i think was obvious from the sudden rise in deaths and hospitalisation
Did anyone see the update at 5pm on BBC1?

varian Thu 21-Jan-21 18:13:17

UK excess deaths since start of pandemic surpass 100,000, data suggest

www.ft.com/content/5f7b58fb-97ad-4fef-bbc9-b71d328c6700

growstuff Thu 21-Jan-21 17:19:29

JenniferEccles

Is it right to call it a deadly virus when we know that the majority of people make a full recovery and it is only fatal for a small minority?

The death toll is desperately sad but we are not told how many of them actually died FROM covid rather than with it. All we are told is that they died after having had a positive test within the past 28 days.

Quite obviously some did but it’s also very probable that others died from something else totally unrelated to the virus.

Nevertheless we will all be relieved when we hear that hospital admissions and deaths are gradually dropping.

There are also people who have died more than 28 days after having a positive test. The number of excess deaths is consistent with the number who have been reported as dying from Covid.

AGAA4 Thu 21-Jan-21 16:41:46

I am hoping the virus will mutate down. A virus doesn't really want to kill the host.
The very successful cold virus has been around for a long time and manages to infect most people at one time or another as we tend not to hide away from it as for most of us it is just a few days discomfort. It is also a coronavirus.
That is just my hope

JenniferEccles Thu 21-Jan-21 15:44:37

Is it right to call it a deadly virus when we know that the majority of people make a full recovery and it is only fatal for a small minority?

The death toll is desperately sad but we are not told how many of them actually died FROM covid rather than with it. All we are told is that they died after having had a positive test within the past 28 days.

Quite obviously some did but it’s also very probable that others died from something else totally unrelated to the virus.

Nevertheless we will all be relieved when we hear that hospital admissions and deaths are gradually dropping.

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 12:12:36

^The borders are supposed to be closed ,yet boats are still landing at Dover,Kent where the first new strain started
Also read this morning that where the boat people are being kept, the virus is rife^
So all the borders are not closed

blondenana

I will have nothing to do with this racist claptrap about asylum seekers.

While I am prepared to criticise the government for its half hearted border control it is with regard to their 'quarantine' non-arrangements. We should be providing compulsory accommodation for travellers to self isolate in, as other countries have, not let them off to find their own accommodation for their unmonitored 'self isolation'.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 11:49:48

Yes.
Thank you.
You've the patience of a saint. smile

Sparklefizz Thu 21-Jan-21 11:48:04

Alegrias I just wanted to say thank you for your voice of common sense on these Covid threads. flowers

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:41:40

No EV, its not.

The Oxford scientists (and all the others) have said that if we need to do this in the future, it will be an easy thing to do.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:41:34

My DH got a call this morning - he is having his vaccination next Tuesday - he is 76.
The doctor tried to get me one but I am too young - 74. It is a long time since I was too young for anything. She did say I should get mine the week after.

EllanVannin Thu 21-Jan-21 11:37:57

The Oxford vaccine is being modified as we speak because of new variants appearing.

blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 11:32:56

Vaccinations in some parts of the country are well ahead, my sister who is younger than me had hers last week,in the North west. but some which were taking place at a racecourse,[can't remember which] have been halted for a day so racing can go ahead!!
I am still waiting for my letter or phone call whichever,but i know there are people being vaccinated even here who are only just 70, not at my surgery
Depends which surgery maybe

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:27:41

blondenana nobody has ever said that the new variant is less deadly. Ever. The government have not lied.

There are more deaths because more people have got it.

Enough with the conspiracy theories.

blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 11:24:44

The deaths and infections have gone up since the new variant arrived,but according to the Government and experts although the new one is supposed to be more transmissable,but not as deadly why are the rates of infection and deaths rising?
A friend of ours who is a volunteer at one of the hospitals in my area says the Government are lying,,she says this new strain is just as deadly, but no one is saying,the hospital staff know and that hospital is full and patients being moved to other hospitals, because there is just no more beds available
I believe it is true,we are not being told the truth about these new strains,
I really think they fon't know how to deal with this
The borders are supposed to be closed ,yet boats are still landing at Dover,Kent where the first new strain started
Also read this morning that where the boat people are being kept, the virus is rife
So all the borders are not closed

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Jan-21 11:24:27

?

Not the government. The medical establishment.

To anybody reading this who is worried about vaccines, and especially the concern about the spacing of doses. The vast majority of the medical establishment in this country support the extended spacing of doses. People in other countries have sometimes expressed concern but have agreed, generally, that in our situation we need to do this.

Think about Climate Change. The vast majority of the scientific community think its man made, some think its not. So overall, the agreement is that its man made. Same with the vaccines - most scientists agree we are doing the right thing.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Jan-21 11:21:34

Oh yes.
That's a big jump back up again; good news. smile
Actually, that has made me feel a bit better.