Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jonathan Van-Tam

(24 Posts)
growstuff Sun 24-Jan-21 22:14:27

I know this is staged, but I think JVT should be given a daily briefing slot.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-55654958

Positive, factual, seemingly transparent, doesn't pull any punches and has the ability to speak to people as intelligent humans.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Jan-21 22:17:21

I ❤️ JVT. He is, to me, the voice of calm, experience and reason in this maelstrom of a pandemic.

Hellogirl1 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:23:06

I`ve been very impressed with Professor Van-Tam recently, but only found out last week that he is a son of our very town here, Boston. A very intelligent man, and human with it.

merlotgran Sun 24-Jan-21 22:32:54

He was the only one to publicly denounce Dominic Cummings' behaviour during one of the briefings.

muse Mon 25-Jan-21 14:50:11

Urmstongran Me to.

The questions would perhaps have to be vetted to eliminate the policy and political questions. As he said in the ZOOM recording, he can answer the science ones.

Not sure if there would be enough science question for him for a daily briefing slot but a weekly one would be a reassuring tonic.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:31:23

I'm always disappointed if he's not one of the medics/scientists at a briefing. He talks sense.
I know its frivolous but I do like to see him wearing his suit with the broad stripes. He looks like a 1930s bandleader. He must be quite a small chap as I see he stands in a box at his lectern.
Again. Sorry for bring frivolous. I'm a big fan.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:31:43

On a box not in!!

growstuff Mon 25-Jan-21 15:37:37

muse

Urmstongran Me to.

The questions would perhaps have to be vetted to eliminate the policy and political questions. As he said in the ZOOM recording, he can answer the science ones.

Not sure if there would be enough science question for him for a daily briefing slot but a weekly one would be a reassuring tonic.

He wouldn't need to answer technical science questions, but interpret scientific issues for people who don't seem to get it. He doesn't preach, but nor does he make light of the situation and make false promises.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 15:45:34

He talks sense.
He has said he tries out his turns of phrase and metaphors on his wife first grin

I like the way he peers over the top of his specs.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 15:46:48

That did sound frivolous but yes, he does speak sense.

Sparklefizz Mon 25-Jan-21 16:04:39

I love JVT .... and also the Army Brigadier Phil Prosser .... both of them fill me with confidence and reassurance.

Billybob4491 Mon 25-Jan-21 16:09:57

Another fan of JVT

Nannarose Mon 25-Jan-21 16:35:24

Regarding the 'calling out' of Dominic Cummings: I heard that the Chief Nurse did that in practice briefings and that is why she was dropped.
If true - did JVT say nothing during the practice so he could say it in public - or did they feel he was too popular to drop?
And I'm a fan too, but I think a lot of policy shows the absence of nurses.

Niobe Mon 25-Jan-21 17:48:39

Man arose, JVT was dropped for quite a while after he said that the rules applied to everyone in response to a question about DC’s trip to Barnard Castle. The government eventually had to bring him back.

Niobe Mon 25-Jan-21 17:49:06

Sorry Nannarose!

muse Mon 25-Jan-21 17:50:02

Nannarose

Regarding the 'calling out' of Dominic Cummings: I heard that the Chief Nurse did that in practice briefings and that is why she was dropped.
If true - did JVT say nothing during the practice so he could say it in public - or did they feel he was too popular to drop?

Thought there would be a clip somewhere. Yes and I've just listen to it again. The actual question hasn't been recorded just the answers.

Quote: Asked whether people in authority should obey the rules imposed in the UK during the coronavirus pandemic, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, the deputy chief medical officer for England, said: 'In my opinion the rules are clear and they have always been clear. In my opinion they are for the benefit of all. And in my opinion they apply to all.'

Perhaps the Chief Nurse actually named Cummings.

kircubbin2000 Mon 25-Jan-21 19:32:54

I think his dad was PM of Vietnam.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 19:34:18

I think it was his Grandfather, kircubbin.

Kate54 Mon 25-Jan-21 21:49:07

Grandfather. His father was a maths teacher at Boston Grammar School.

Nannarose Mon 25-Jan-21 21:57:11

Yes, that makes sense. Thank you

BlueSky Mon 25-Jan-21 22:08:07

Urmstongran

I ❤️ JVT. He is, to me, the voice of calm, experience and reason in this maelstrom of a pandemic.

Same here Urmston!

MayBee70 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:20:14

Nannarose

Watching his body language during that briefing I’m pretty sure that they weren’t expecting him to do what he did. You could see him physically gearing himself up to dropping a bombshell. We didn’t see him again for ages. I think they only brought him back when they realised that they needed someone up front that people trusted. He did get it wrong about mask wearing, though, so I don’t necessarily take everything anyone says as gospel. I do think he’s wonderful, though.

BlueSky Mon 25-Jan-21 23:51:52

I’ve always believed that mask wearing wasn’t encouraged at the beginning as they were worried that there would be panic buying and hoarding, leading to shortages for medical and caring staff.

MayBee70 Tue 26-Jan-21 00:15:56

The WHO said that masks didn’t work.