Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Long journey for vaccine

(71 Posts)
TyneAngel Mon 25-Jan-21 10:04:31

I had a letter from the NHS inviting me to book a vaccination slot on line. When I got to the actual booking, the nearest centre was a 90 mile round trip. (I live in a very large town but my surgery is not vaccinating.) I took it, as I was anxious to have it done, at almost 80, but now snow and ice have made driving hazardous (the appointment is on Wednesday) I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else had the experience of being sent to a distant centre? Did you turn it down and was a nearer centre offered?

Esspee Sun 31-Jan-21 15:25:14

We live in Glasgow, not too far from the major vaccination hub and the main hospital.
Strangely our appointments are in Paisley, an adjoining town at 7 in the evening. It won’t make much difference to us as we drive but there are many our age who prefer not to go out after dark, especially in this frosty weather.
One good thing is that our appointments are at the same time and same place and I hear that under 70s are now receiving appointments.

Tweedle24 Sun 31-Jan-21 15:07:03

My letter was dated eight days before I received it. My surgery texted me to book an appointment at the local football club and, after I had had it, texted again. I think it might just be belt and braces to make sure we get the message.

ajswan Sun 31-Jan-21 10:11:23

That is ridiculous, I got a slot on a Saturday that was a short bus ride away, but when I arrived at the clinic it was chaos, there were over a hundred people waiting outside, thank goodness it wasn’t raining. But when the queue started moving it was very fast and efficient. I was vaccinated by an Army medic. Regarding receiving a letter from the NHS after being vaccinated, both my partner and I received letters, what a massive waste of money.

Tweedle24 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:29:47

I received a letter from the NHS inviting me fir a vaccination but, I was already booked.
The letter ver clearly stated that if a journey was out of the question, just wait until you hear from your GP. If housebound, don’t worry, someone will
Come to you

Kate1949 Wed 27-Jan-21 15:36:49

Our neighbour had the letter inviting her to go yesterday for her vaccination. She's 76. When she got there they turned her away saying they had run out and that someone should have let her know. They said they have no idea when their supplies will come in. She rang her GP and fortunately they got her an appointment at another centre for tomorrow.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:28:09

The vaccine does not prevent people getting the infection. It just means that, if it is caught, the illness will not be so severe.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:24:46

EllanVenan. The vaccine should give some protection to you but, it does not stop you from transmitting it.

Until people realise this, the planned herd immunity from the vaccine will not happen. I have heard so many people say they can stop taking precautions once vaccinated, it makes me want to scream. The first only gives about 30% protection so, until both doses have been received and allowed to ‘bed in’, the recipient is not properly protected.

Lupin Wed 27-Jan-21 14:18:00

I did at last get into a long queue on the phone and spoke to a young lady on the booking line. She was so helpful. I found that the booking I made online had not registered ( the website just left me hanging ) but I now have an appointment next Tuesday at a centre 20 mins drive away. She also gave me a number for a Community Car Service where the help was wonderful. I will be picked up and brought back, and can use the service in the future for hospital appointments, shopping, and visits to friends. It's always best to speak to another human, isn't it. This is the Ipswich area and I can give you the number if you private message me.

Ellie666 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:53:52

My local surgery, just 5 minutes drive from me are giving out vaccines yet my brother-in-law who lives 10 minutes drive away received a letter for his jab an hours drive away. He is 81 and doesn't drive and the two family members who do drive were both at work so he and my sister took a bus to where they had to go, which does take more than an hour on the bus. That is absolutely wrong. The other thing that I cannot understand is that my sister is 79 so why on earth could they not have given her the jab at the same time because they must know, from peoples addresses how far people are actually travelling. I never get a bus anywhere as all my shopping is delivered or my grand children deliver the odd thing I need when they finish work, so there is no way what-so-ever I will get a bus to a centre miles away to get the jab. Forgot to mention when they got there they had to stand OUTSIDE for 40 minutes before being allowed in in a queue with other people. 80 and 79 year old standing outside in the cold and snow is absolutely disgusting.

Curlygirl Tue 26-Jan-21 20:47:39

Our local surgery has a notice on their website saying that you may receive a letter from the NHS inviting you to make an appointment for your vaccine at a mass vaccination centre but you can choose whether to do this or you can wait and will be contacted by the surgery with an appointment at the nearest vaccine centre or surgery. We are early 70s and haven’t received either yet!

rosie1959 Tue 26-Jan-21 18:48:51

I will also be grateful for a vaccine anywhere but will have to wait a while yet my daughter will be before me and she has said she will go any distance necessary

Conan Tue 26-Jan-21 18:42:10

I have a question, I booked my vaccination on the link texted to me, would I receive a text to confirm it. Because I hope that it went through OK. Have not done much on line like this before

earnshaw Tue 26-Jan-21 18:06:52

luckily we have a health centre close by, my husband had a phone call to go for is vaccine last sunday at 1,45 to go for his vaccine at 2,30, very busy venue but at least its done, neighbours of mine had notice to get miles away for his vaccine, he couldnt get there so will have to wait till he can get it local , dont really understand why some are local and others not

SueDonim Tue 26-Jan-21 16:51:25

I’d be grateful for any sort of vaccination anywhere for my 93yo mum in Scotland. She’s heard nothing, except that her surgery has yet to receive any vaccine whatsoever. angry

granh2 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:13:20

I ignored the NHS letter asking me to travel miles. My own surgery contacted me with a local appointment. Contact your own GP, I think that you do not have to accept the first time/place offered, and this does not jeopardise future offers. The whole system is ridiculous , asking elderly people who have been in isolation to travel long distances in the middle of winter!

Greciangirl Tue 26-Jan-21 15:44:40

I got a text to book my appointment. But when I logged on I had a choice of four g.p. Surgeries to go to. They all came up as ‘unavailable ‘. A bit disappointing as they were all within fairly easy reach.
However I was able to book in the end at the local Primary care centre.
The whole system seems to be a bit disorganised and conflicting.

Camelotclub Tue 26-Jan-21 14:23:07

Not sure where you are but the weather is meant to become a lot milder midweek. Personally, I'd love an excuse for a long journey! Anything for a change of scene.

Sue500 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:16:18

had the same situation with my Mum, but phoned and spoke to someone on Vaccination line no. Couldn't get her too much closer to the centres on line but it was more convenient to my
location to take her. Likewise GP surgery have recorded message to say they can't deal with vaccination queries. Which I fully understand as most of us would like not to travel.

mphammersley Tue 26-Jan-21 14:13:15

I think a lot of people have had letters inviting them to vaccination hubs for their vaccine, but the online information says if you are unable to make it to the hub to wait to hear from your GP who will give you an alternative. I have not heard of people having to drive as far as that though. I would say phone the hub or your GP and discuss it with them, hopefully they can give you the best advice for the area you live, as everywhere seems quite different still. Good luck, take care of yourself.

BlueSky Tue 26-Jan-21 13:54:19

This wasn’t made clear, I would guess most people would take up the first offer, despite distance and various problems getting there, can you imagine how frightening for somebody who had been shielding? Then to realise you could have had it done locally!

Foxglove77 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:34:36

My mother, in her 80s, has the letter from the NHS. I went online and she wasn't happy to go to the nearest centre available. You don't have to take up this offer. Now her GP has called her to a vaccination centre 3 miles away and she had her first jab this morning.

Namsnanny Tue 26-Jan-21 13:02:58

We did phone the number as you suggested silvercollie but ended up speaking to surgery, who were not very helpful and didn't ring back as they said they would.
In the end we booked on line at the only place available, which was a very inconvenient place, requiring parking a distance away and using the wheelchair.
Not at all easy.

silvercollie Tue 26-Jan-21 12:37:32

For all you folk that are accepting vaccinations at centres vast distances from home, why have you not phoned the number provided and talk to someone?

That is what I did and the receptionist herself said the venue was ridiculous for someone that had shielded for 9 months and sorted it all for me. So, Thursday this week about 10 miles away - job almost done.

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 12:34:56

All thought they would be safe after the vaccine, but it still doesn't stop you from getting a positive result later.
So it's 2 weeks isolation then another 2 weeks waiting for the vaccine to kick-in. It's not an immediate panacea but will give a certain amount of protection.

Paperbackwriter Tue 26-Jan-21 12:31:31

Lilyflower

I'd travel a ninety mile round trip this instant if I could have the vaccine now, snow and all.

Me too. People have moved heaven and earth to roll out this vaccine to protect us all as fast as possible. I can't believe how
anyone would moan about having to travel a way to get it.
(though as a PS, I have actually had mine now. Could have cried with gratitude)