Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Petition for Closing our borders

(20 Posts)
Sashabel Thu 28-Jan-21 13:11:08

In a recent survey 93% voted to close our borders to try and stop other strains of the virus that do not respond to the vaccine getting embedded in the UK. It seems that the government always seem to shut the door after the horse has bolted and you only need to look at the New Zealand figures to see how successful closing the borders has been.
To this end, there is a petition to get this subject discussed in Parliament - petition.parliament.uk/petitions/564165
If you feel our borders should be closed, it may be worth putting your name on this petition as our government seem to be able to drive down transmission very successfully

Sashabel Thu 28-Jan-21 13:31:12

NOT to be able to drive down transmission

EllanVannin Thu 28-Jan-21 13:33:31

Bit late in the day, isn't it ? Damage has already been done with hundreds of flights in and out and still going on if you track the skies---so a wasted effort.

Peasblossom Thu 28-Jan-21 13:48:31

We’re not a self-sufficient island, I’m afraid. Have you (and others who want to petition) really looked into all the consequences of closing the borders?

65,000,000 people.

Sashabel Thu 28-Jan-21 18:51:01

What has self sufficiency got to do with people flying in from all over the world without any proper and effective checks?

Peasblossom Thu 28-Jan-21 19:13:47

Well closing the borders would mean a stop to food imports wouldn’t it?

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 19:19:22

NO, hauliers, with negative tests would be allowed in.

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Jan-21 19:44:23

I don’t think you can just close our borders, there needs to be exceptions.

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Jan-21 19:48:11

Sorry, pressed too quickly, people would have their own list of exceptions and disagree with whatever the government decide.

Dragonella Thu 28-Jan-21 19:49:19

Well, unless we're going to close our borders permanently, as soon as they reopen, this mythical strain could get in anyway. As it doesn't respond to the vaccine, opening up after we've all been vaccinated would not help.

nanna8 Mon 01-Feb-21 21:37:58

Too late, sadly. They close borders here with a single case but when the cases reach thousands there is no point. I don’t know how long we will keep closing but I would guess they are waiting for everyone to be vaccinated. Seeing as we haven’t even started vaccinating people here it will be at least a year.

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Feb-21 21:43:21

Dragonella

Well, unless we're going to close our borders permanently, as soon as they reopen, this mythical strain could get in anyway. As it doesn't respond to the vaccine, opening up after we've all been vaccinated would not help.

Eh?

EllanVannin Mon 01-Feb-21 22:06:51

Hauliers are the exception it would seem and 3 tested positive a couple of weeks ago. Like I said, the damage is already done.

MaggieTulliver Mon 01-Feb-21 22:37:27

How can you compare a tiny place like NZ to the UK?

Elegran Mon 01-Feb-21 22:39:05

What on earth do you mean, "As it doesn't respond to the vaccine" Dragonella ? The effects of getting the virus are less horrendous in trials in those who have had the vaccination with far fewer hospitalisations.

It isn't yet certain whether it blocks infection, but Israel has just reported seeing a big drop in infections. The fall appears to be most pronounced in older people and areas furthest ahead in their immunisation efforts.

I'd say the virus IS affected by the vaccine.

nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 13:03:22

Oh we are about to be restricted again. Just one new case. We are the other extreme from you guys I think. We had 28 Covid free days and just this one traveller has brought it in so we all will have to pay the price.

maddyone Wed 03-Feb-21 14:06:21

I don’t think we can close our borders completely because of course we need to let freight in and out. However with 21,000 people flying in daily, as I understand it, there must be a way to cut down on those numbers. Why do 21,000 people need to arrive here daily? Some will be returning citizens (where’ve they been that’s so desperately important in the middle of a pandemic?) and the rest will be? I just don’t understand why 21,000 people are allowed to enter the country every day in the middle of a pandemic. Going on holiday is currently illegal, so who are these people?

LauraNorder Wed 03-Feb-21 14:13:12

Good question maddyone who are they?
Where are you in Australia nanna8?
Our son in Perth says the authorities have closed the city and surrounding areas for five days following a small outbreak of nine cases.

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 14:19:37

I know at least 2 people who have left the country and returned during the pandemic. One had a medical emergency to attend to in a European country and one had unavoidable family business. Neither of them were going on holiday.

nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 21:45:41

I am in Melbourne Laura. They have restricted visitors in the home to 15 which isn’t too bad. We have to wear masks at every public meeting but we more or less were doing that anyway. The case comes from a hotel worker who was working at the isolation hotel for tennis players over here for the Australian open. I think the original case was a Nigerian who had been in the uk.