Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Common Covid mistakes

(15 Posts)
welbeck Fri 29-Jan-21 23:22:56

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/everyday-covid-mistakes-we-are-all-still-making

i found this article informative and useful

Nemesia Fri 29-Jan-21 23:48:01

Really useful, thank you welbeck - right away this struck me as very relevant:

Focusing on what’s allowed, rather than what’s safe
Even though we’re in lockdown, there’s more scope for social contact than the first time around: for example, in England you can meet a friend for exercise; have cleaners, childminders, or tradespeople in your home; and form various types of bubbles with other households. Such allowances are important for mental health and the economy, but that doesn’t mean they’re entirely safe

Easy to be complacent and I’m sure we will all have seen examples even if we are not guilty ourselves! .

Doodledog Fri 29-Jan-21 23:48:16

It is a really interesting article, welbeck. Thanks for posting it.

welbeck Sat 30-Jan-21 01:56:32

glad you found it useful.
i think we all need to be reminded of these things.

Esspee Sat 30-Jan-21 07:49:11

I hope many Gransnet users read this and take the messages onboard. The level of ignorance spouted by some members is appalling. e.g. those waiting for their vaccinations to be able to hug their grandchildren.
Thanks welbeck.

Jaxjacky Sat 30-Jan-21 08:08:12

Thank you wellbeck. I agree Esspee, on GN and other media I read every day of people who think they can hug their family after vaccination. I just despair sometimes.

janeainsworth Sat 30-Jan-21 08:18:05

Thank you Welbeck. We are certainly having less contact with other people than we are technically allowed by the restrictions. It’s nice to know we aren’t being over-cautious.

Alexa Sat 30-Jan-21 08:36:22

I especially liked the practical advice ;sort of if you can smell someone has been eating onions or has been smoking a cigarette then you can also breathe in virus from him.

Also the general principle that the more virus you breathe in from somebody nearby the more likely you are to become ill from it.

Ventilating rooms is tricky in the present cold weather and widespread poverty. Still, we can all wear more practical clothing on our feet, heads, and lower bodies, besides cardigans.

EllanVannin Sat 30-Jan-21 08:41:00

All the more reason to remain in lockdown until infection is at a bare minimum ,even if it means the rest of the year otherwise it's futile if it's going to be lifted too early again.

Bathsheba Sat 30-Jan-21 09:04:52

Nemesia yes that was the part that resonated strongly with me too. I get so frustrated when people say, "Oh but we're allowed"; are they no longer able to think for themselves? And do they not realise, for instance, that the reason they're "allowed" to be in a child care bubble is in order to keep the economy going? Important as the economy is, the virus is no respecter of child care bubbles, or any other "allowed" situations.

FoghornLeghorn Sat 30-Jan-21 13:23:07

EllanVannin

All the more reason to remain in lockdown until infection is at a bare minimum ,even if it means the rest of the year otherwise it's futile if it's going to be lifted too early again.

Presumably you’re not at risk of losing a job or your home then Ellen?

nanna8 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:56:41

Ellan that is what we did here in Melbourne for many months. It was very,very hard and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone but, ultimately, it paid off. Then the problem is keeping the rest of the world away. Many lost jobs and although we have a job keeper allowance it has now reduced and eventually will no doubt disappear. Nearly everyone was forced to work from home if they possibly could and all the office blocks in the city were closed. They are just re opening now but still limited. West Australia has the border closed because they have one, just one, community case. People are very compliant here, though and I don’t think that is the case in Europe.

Alexa Sun 31-Jan-21 19:49:05

Bathsheba wrote:

"Nemesia yes that was the part that resonated strongly with me too. I get so frustrated when people say, "Oh but we're allowed"; are they no longer able to think for themselves? "

Me too!

EllanVannin Sun 31-Jan-21 19:59:23

FoghornLeghorn you wouldn't be able to work if you caught Covid, would you ? Think about it.
Those working are furloughed.

EllanVannin Sun 31-Jan-21 20:01:52

Locking down is the only thing that works, nanna8