Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How should we deal with the groups who refuse to have the vaccine?

(429 Posts)
JenniferEccles Sun 31-Jan-21 11:46:27

Our vaccination programme is going so well but could it be scuppered by the reported large numbers of certain groups reluctant to be vaccinated?

What is the reason for the refusal I wonder? The news has been dominated by assurances from any number of experts that the vaccines are safe and effective, so ignorance seems unlikely.

Are there really that many crazy individuals who have fallen for the insane conspiracy theories?

MrsEggy Sun 31-Jan-21 14:45:16

I think some of the problem may be that many of the younger generation have never encountered serious infectious diseases, having been vaccinated in childhood against polio, diptheria, mumps, measles, rubella, tb and maybe others I can't remember, so they don't understand how devastating these infections can be.

JenniferEccles Sun 31-Jan-21 15:01:50

What is particularly surprising is that large numbers of black and other ethnic groups are refusing the vaccine, (around 70%) despite the fact that they are the ones most likely to be badly affected by covid.

Under those circumstances I would have expected the take up to be very high amongst those people.

NotSpaghetti Sun 31-Jan-21 15:34:07

If we need 85% cover overall, why not wait, go on distributing vaccines to those who do want it, and then see if we have 85%.

I think we will do. The "reluctant but not hostile" will, in six months, a year, or maybe two, probably come round to it. Then only the people who are not wanting it will be left.

I'd be surprised if they were more than 15%.

Franbern Sun 31-Jan-21 15:46:59

Well, at present all in UK are being used as an experiment to see how having a 12 week gap between the doses works out. Nobody knows what the result of that will be.

At present all that is happening is giving large numbers of people one dose, which gives them only marginal cover (and even how much of that is still subject to disagreement particularly for older people).

Another unsure factor is how quickly those of us have both doses may require more boosters. Talk is of once a year like the flu one.

I would think that, until such time, as all those who want these jabs have received a full dose - and, maybe, even first booster for next winter, we really are not in a position to get concerned about the refusniks.

Equally important is to remember we are these days very much part of a one world - so do need to ensure that vaccines are available for the entire world in order to start to bring about an end to this particular virus.

In UK we have never brought in any sort of compulsory vaccinations - maybe we should would have prevented deaths in recent years from measles, etc. Do not see why this vaccine should have any different rules.

Eviebeanz Sun 31-Jan-21 15:57:43

I currently feel reluctant to have it but as I am not in one of the first groups who are due to have it by the time it is my turn to be offered it I may feel differently - that would probably be in a few months time and we should see by then if any of those vaccinated earlier have experienced side effects.

Eviebeanz Sun 31-Jan-21 16:00:35

Personally at the moment I feel a bigger concern is whether those vaccinated with the first dose at the beginning will be able to access the second dose due to lack of supplies

Sarnia Sun 31-Jan-21 16:01:23

I have a 17 year old GD who hangs on the every word of 'reality TV celebrity'. This girl has announced on her social media that she won't have the vaccine because she doesn't like needles. When making this statement she fails to see the irony because she has over inflated boobs, a backside you could see from space and is Botox'd to within an inch of her life. She is fully entitled to choose whether to have the vaccine or not but I wish she would keep that decision to herself. Sad to say, she is a role model for so many impressionable young girls who may have their decision on a vaccine injection influenced by this woman.
Also, as vaccinated people are being issued with cards perhaps these will need to be shown before being allowed to enter venues and events where people are tightly packed together.

Doodledog Sun 31-Jan-21 16:13:34

I agree that there are dangers attached to compulsory vaccination (as with any medical intervention), but in this case I think there should be some sort of penalty for refusing, and I agree that not being able to travel, or go to crowded places might be enough to concentrate the mind of those who would rather let others take any risks for them.

I see no reason why people should be allowed to use the rest of us as lab rats while they wait to see whether or not we are affected. Who do they think they are?

I feel the same about MMR and other vaccines, though. Usually I am very liberal and 'hands off' when it comes to state control of individuals, but I feel very strongly about this issue.

Galaxy Sun 31-Jan-21 16:17:18

I think restricting access to travel is very different to compulsory vaccine, which I would be completely opposed to. I think on the other hand it is reasonable for those who own aircraft, venues to say who can use their services.

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:27:35

I agree Galaxy. It's perfectly reasonable IMO for those who have not been vaccinated and have no medical reason for not doing so, to face the possibility that they may not be able to fly and access venues where there are large crowds.

Forcing people to be vaccinated against their will though is unacceptable.

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-21 16:41:30

Jane56 Can you you name one vaccine that has had long term side effects.

I have asked this question so many times of so many people saying what you have said, and I have not once had a reply.

Please could you be the one to answer the question. If you do not, we will then know that this story is totally untrue and you are speading untruths.

Jaffacake2 Sun 31-Jan-21 16:52:08

I am very unsure about having the vaccine due to having anaphylaxis to many drugs and foods. I have read about the different vaccines and have been told that I can be resuscitated if I react severely.
Difficult isn't it ? Do I risk getting covid which probably would go badly as I have severe asthma or do I risk going into anaphylactic shock with the vaccine ?
What would you do ?

Gwyneth Sun 31-Jan-21 16:55:33

Like a lot of posters I don’t agree that vaccination should be compulsory but everything possible should be done to encourage vaccination. I believe a group of black MPs have got together to do this for the black community which is great news. However, I don’t see any reason why airlines and events where in the future there will be large groups of people gathered shouldn’t ask for proof of vaccination.

JenniferEccles Sun 31-Jan-21 16:57:01

When Jane56 mentions that long term side effects not being known, maybe she is meaning years. The scientists involved in the development of the vaccines can only know about the period of the trials.

I agree though MOnica that speculation is not helpful when everything should be geared towards encouraging vaccine take up.

As for the daft accusation of them altering our DNA, well that belongs with all the other stupid conspiracy theories, one of which alleged that Bill Gates had been responsible for the addition of microchips in the vaccines to monitor and control us.

Beyond ridiculous.

Eviebeanz Sun 31-Jan-21 17:06:14

Does anyone have any idea when all of the groups on the list will have received both doses of the vaccine?

NellG Sun 31-Jan-21 17:17:35

There are no long term side effects. Vaccines don't work like that. Side effects will show in hours/days not weeks or months. The 'side effects' that people are reporting aren't side effects at all, but their body's immune response to the vaccine, which means it's working. Vaccines don't work in the same way as drugs, the testing and development is different. I read the data on the Phizer vaccine, in excess of 40,000 people took part in the trials. That's about as generalisable as results can get.

Unless someone is in Jaffacakes' position there needn't be too much concern.

And, why would anyone even think that the general population are being used as lab rats? At least lab rats have the propensity to learn...

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-21 17:21:13

JenniferEccles I am assuming Jane10 means years, but no-one saying this can ever give an example of a vaccine that has had side effects, years later.

They often quote drugs that have had long term side effects, Thalidomide is the one they usually quote, which is really scraping the barrel. Dreadful though that problem was, for most people it happened before they were born. Only old people like us can remember it.

sodapop Sun 31-Jan-21 17:57:14

Galaxy

I think restricting access to travel is very different to compulsory vaccine, which I would be completely opposed to. I think on the other hand it is reasonable for those who own aircraft, venues to say who can use their services.

Totally agree Galaxy and where would compulsory vaccination lead us in the future.

Jaxjacky Sun 31-Jan-21 18:03:28

Maybe once the younger generation start getting the vaccines, I mean the 20’s onwards in the media, they can be role models. If proof is needed to attend concerts and festivals, things may change,

JenniferEccles Sun 31-Jan-21 18:17:46

I don’t think we are in danger of not having sufficient supplies Eviebeanz.

We have ordered one hundred million doses of the AZ one alone and we pre ordered seven different vaccines in total.

They haven’t all been approved yet of course but we are on course eventually to give some to poorer countries struggling with supplies (EU?!!)

Touch wood the target to vaccinate the entire adult population by September has a good chance of succeeding.

598,000 doses given today! Wow!

Elegran Sun 31-Jan-21 18:25:44

Tattoos, Galaxy ? Have I missed something?

NotSpaghetti Sun 31-Jan-21 18:27:01

I do know M0nica that the MMRV vaccine, if vaccinated against Chickenpox can "induce" Shingles many years later - but most vaccine side-effects are quick to develop.

Sparkling Sun 31-Jan-21 18:35:52

I do agree with those who say that without a certification of vaccination you should not be able to fly, go on coach holidays or attend venues etc. In fact they should socially distance. It’s as if they are waiting to see if those that have the vaccine live to tell the tale, therefore those that do have it have the right to feel safe.

BlueSky Sun 31-Jan-21 18:40:43

You keep saying that people who haven’t been vaccinated shouldn’t be able to travel, to go to venues, etc. but they don’t know whether vaccination will stop the spread!

BlueBelle Sun 31-Jan-21 18:50:57

When you are travelling to tropical countries you have to show vaccination cards for various tropical diseases I would imagine this will be the same and I can assure you all the people I know who are anti vax are travellers and won’t want to be restricted in any way If anything will get them vaccinated that will