Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daughter moving

(8 Posts)
Nickysmadhouse Mon 01-Feb-21 09:57:32

My daughter has separated from her husband and selling the marital home, hopefully completing in a couple of weeks.
She has moved out and is renting a flat, which cannot house all of her belongings, she has asked if i can store them in my loft, of course i can, however, she lives 80 miles away from me, and wants to do it this Friday.

I know that moving is permitted but would this be classed as an essential journey? My heart would break to tell her we can’t do it yet with all she has been going through but of course i do not want either of us to be fined ?

What would you do?

BlueBelle Mon 01-Feb-21 10:24:41

I don’t think there will be any police out to watch you nicky if you’re daughter needs help and you are both as careful as possible what else can you do
In answer to your question Yes I would help out whilst taking care

Tangerine Mon 01-Feb-21 10:33:35

I don't know how many belongings she means but could she come and put them on the doorstep? You could then put them in the loft for her.

If this isn't possible for you, I think she could come straight in and go up to your loft and then go straight home again.

You are allowed, I believe, to have contractors such as plumbers in your home and they might be there some hours. Your daughter would be in and out.

I think you could say you were helping a vulnerable person.

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:33:36

I agree with BlueBelle.

BlueSky Mon 01-Feb-21 10:47:42

Agree BlueBelle weren’t we told to do what’s best in our circumstances and use our initiative?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:54:18

I would certainly allow it, might be an idea for you all to wear masks though, better safe than sorry.

Grammaretto Mon 01-Feb-21 11:02:08

I agree with Bluebelle and the others.
My DD had to move house during the first Lockdown. They had to hire a van and do several 200 mile round trips on their own. But it was the whole family.
Your DD needs your help. Good luck to her.

Nickysmadhouse Mon 01-Feb-21 11:04:29

Thankyou all for your kind words, i think i always knew i would do it, i just needed to hear you all would too.
She will just drop them off and my DP will lift them to the loft when he’s home (poor chap!)
Thankyou again ?