Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Holidays are illegal

(227 Posts)
maddyone Wed 10-Feb-21 18:21:13

I was surprised to see on the BBC news that the public are confused by the mixed messages said to be being given out by government about booking a holiday. Since holidays are currently illegal, at home or abroad, I’m unsure why people are confused. I’m not confused, I understand that holidays are currently illegal and as a consequence I won’t book any holidays at present. I hope this will change as the year progresses and we can book and go on a holiday, but whilst holidays remain illegal I won’t book anything.

Is anyone on Gransnet confused? Or do we all understand that holidays are currently illegal? Has anyone on Gransnet already booked a holiday in the hope that it will not be illegal to travel when the time comes?

Mollygo Tue 16-Feb-21 17:30:20

I agree too pinkquartz but I’m hiding whilst I get lectured on the state of the economy.

maddyone Tue 16-Feb-21 16:18:44

I agree too pinkquartz.

Sparklefizz Tue 16-Feb-21 14:46:31

pinkquartz

its too soon. the numbers are down because of lockdown.

if people travel soon it will be the same mistake again

I agree pinkquartz

pinkquartz Tue 16-Feb-21 12:58:39

its too soon. the numbers are down because of lockdown.

if people travel soon it will be the same mistake again

Fennel Tue 16-Feb-21 12:49:42

Younger son should come to the UK from India to renew his visa in June. We haven't seen him for 5 years. Who knows?
As for holidays, I don't miss them anyway. More work for me in my view.

Daisymae Tue 16-Feb-21 10:26:33

Monica - No, I was fully expecting a refund until the government started signalling otherwise. However they are blowing hot and cold. I'm ok either way, there must be minimal rates before anything like a holiday is allowed.

maddyone Tue 16-Feb-21 09:59:12

Shropshirelass
Well that’s fine for you Shropshirelass, but other people look forward to going on holiday. If it’s legal to travel it doesn’t you if others are planning a holiday later in the year, when they are allowed to go.
Anyway the original post was about confusion, not about whether or not people enjoy holidays or prefer day trips. I can’t see any reason why people shouldn’t enjoy both when it becomes legal to to travel again.

Shropshirelass Tue 16-Feb-21 09:47:10

Such a lot of fuss about holidays, when my children were little I was a single Mom and couldn’t afford a holiday. We used to have lovely days out with picnics and created many memories of having quality time together. Even now I am not bothered about holidays and definitely don’t want to fly or cruise off into the sunset. The UK is beautiful, that will do for me when we can.

M0nica Mon 15-Feb-21 21:40:30

Daisymae I wouldn't hold your breath. I think the chances of being allowed to travel, even within the UK, before the beginning of May.

On the radio this evening there was a discussion about whether, by Easter, families would be allowed to meet outside, safely distanced. Fine if your family are reasonably close, but much as I love my DGC, and I do. I am not going to drive 200 miles to have a socially distanced picnic with them, possibly roll some Easter eggs to them and then drive the 200 miles home again.

Apart from anything else, I am currently the only driver in the family and inreverse DS is the only driver in his household and I would not him making a 400 mile round trip in a day.

railman Mon 15-Feb-21 12:57:59

Hmm - I wonder if I should sort out a trip to Vietnam for a holiday.

Would they allow travellers from the UK in - we're not the cleanest of countries in the world normal, but now we still have some of the highest infection rates and mortality?

I'll give it a bit of thought.

Daisymae Mon 15-Feb-21 08:55:24

Well the headlines today are a possible opening of holidays for Easter. Luckily I have one booked, but not packing just yet!

SueEH Mon 15-Feb-21 08:44:14

I have a holiday booked at the beginning of July in the UK which was carried over from last year and have just arranged big family get together for September on our Greek island second home. Everything booked independently and can cancel up to the day of travel... no hanging around waiting for travel companies to issue refunds. I have followed all the covid rules to the letter but I’ll be off to whichever part of the world will let me go as soon as I legally can.

Yorki Sun 14-Feb-21 15:18:47

Granny1810.... Totally agree with you. In my minds eye it's a case of "book a holiday and keep yourself afloat" yes it helps our economy, but it gives us very desperate people something to look forward to. I haven't booked a holiday as yet, but I'm forever searching online and looking at brochures to remind myself of better days to come.

Yorki Sun 14-Feb-21 14:59:52

Maddyone I think people were confused because we were initially told we could book holidays, then within a short period of time we were told we couldn't. There has been mixed messages as also on Martin Lewis (program), he said book holidays for further down the line if we think lockdown will be lifted within that time frame but only if its promised and PROVED we can either get a full refund or if it can be carried over to the following year. But at the moment they are illegal. This is where the confusion lay, which to me is understandable.

Granny1810 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:25:57

A bit judgy! No harm whatsoever in booking a holiday. The government do u turns at the drop of a hat. I would say book with an agent it's a win win situation. Money back or transfer if cancelled or you have your holiday and keep a vital part of industry afloat.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:31:22

Travelling abroad is not just about holidays.
As soon as it is allowed we shall fly to see eldest AC hopefully another trip to see eldest GC. It is far easier for us to go to them as our work can be juggled and managed remotely.

People travel/holiday for numerous reasons and as long as they are not doing anything illegal it is not my place to judge.

M0nica Sun 14-Feb-21 11:17:59

Anneishere Could you explain what you mean by Maybe these people are in some sort of a denial with what is going on in the world?

No one is considering going on holiday during the current lockdown nor during the restricted relaxation of the rules when lockdown ends. We are talking about holidays when we are free to take them again. Bear in mind the vaccination programme in this country has reached nealy 25% of the population and almost all of those most at risk, and while other countries have been slower off the mark than the UK, they will catch up.

After nearly a year of lockdown, of course people are dreaming of holidays, just a chance to leave the home their home and sleep somewhere else for a night.

Whether you want to think about holidays or not, that you cannot understand why other people would, does show a certain lack of humanity and imagination.

suziewoozie Sun 14-Feb-21 11:04:33

Anneishere

At the moment The last thing on my mind would be to travel abroad, let alone travel within U.K.! I just don’t get it that some people keep hankering on about their holidays! Maybe these people are in some sort of a denial with what is going on in the world??‍♀️

That’s really quite insulting. I don’t give a flying fig whether people book a holiday or not - it’s their choice absolutely. In case you didn’t realise, there’s a difference between booking an£ going. Depending on personality and individual circumstances, people have booked or not booked. It’s crass and frankly ridiculous to say that that those who have booked are in some sort of denial about what’s going on in the world.

Anneishere Sun 14-Feb-21 10:10:22

At the moment The last thing on my mind would be to travel abroad, let alone travel within U.K.! I just don’t get it that some people keep hankering on about their holidays! Maybe these people are in some sort of a denial with what is going on in the world??‍♀️

earnshaw Sat 13-Feb-21 21:25:23

seems pretty obvious doesnt it

hilz Sat 13-Feb-21 20:50:33

I'm not in a rush to venture abroad. I think for those who want a break away in the UK it makes perfect sense to book now for when restrictions are lifted as I'm sure demand will be high. Most people realize that any plans made may have to change at short notice in any case and will factor that in.

Happilyretired123 Sat 13-Feb-21 20:14:14

It is not illegal to book a holiday in the hope that current restrictions will have been changed later in the year. Many holiday companies offer refunds/rebook as standard now. Matt Hancock has already announced his intention to holiday in Cornwall. If you are restricted to school holidays booking early is essential. We probably won’t book a holiday just yet but understand why other people do.
The government should concentrate on fining people who are breaking the rules at this point in time and ensuring strict quarantine.

growstuff Sat 13-Feb-21 19:28:14

Lioness68

Another one who thinks our government are great here. If people don't take responsibility for their own actions it not the PM's fault.

Should the country abolish the police, courts and prisons? After all, it's criminals who are responsible for breaking the law. Maybe the criminals themselves should be responsible for sorting out any outcomes.

A civilised society needs leaders to make realistic rules, to ensure they are communicated in a crystal clear way and to enforce them.

LorraineDobson Sat 13-Feb-21 19:20:28

In New Zealand we can travel domestically anywhere we like. If we travel overseas on our return we must get a negative covid test 3 days before commencing travel, pay for 2 weeks managed isolation quarantine and self isolate at home for 5 days once released.

Lioness68 Sat 13-Feb-21 18:03:29

Another one who thinks our government are great here. If people don't take responsibility for their own actions it not the PM's fault.