Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone else enrolled in Virus Watch study?

(28 Posts)
suziewoozie Fri 12-Feb-21 18:06:09

DH and I enrolled on this a while ago. Upto now it only involved reporting weekly on state of health, if tested and vaccine status. Now we’ve had our first vaccine, we are going to do monthly fingertip blood tests which will tell us about the antibodies development. It will be interesting to see the results and whether we differ at all as we were vaccinated together. Anyone else on here enrolled in it?

spyder08 Fri 26-Feb-21 14:56:25

Both husband and I have enrolled for the fingertip testing but as yet have not received anything

Curlygirl Fri 26-Feb-21 14:13:23

Received our first packages from Virus Watch this morning. Not opened them yet but assume it’s the first blood testing kit for my husband and myself. Has anyone else received theirs?

Whiff Sat 20-Feb-21 06:20:49

If I am asked to take part in a study I will jump at the chance. The more information the scientists get the better. My brother and sister in law have both had Covid and even though their isolation period was up this week are still ill with it. They signed up for giving data about their symptoms and how it's effecting their bodies. They get regular phone calls and answer questions. Both have health problems and Covid has made some aspects worse.

Any studies I have been asked to take part of I have always agreed. It's the only way some diseases and procedures can be understood and refined. And be honest a few questions or blood tests etc aren't going to hurt anyone. But may help a loved one or stranger. Sometimes I think there is to much I'm alright jack attitude. And no I am not religious but an atheist. Nor am I very old just 62.

Ro60 Sat 20-Feb-21 03:18:31

Interesting to hear about how many projects have been set up in under a year.
I'm part of Covid Social Study - monthly survey but haven't been asked for blood tests.
Do keep us informed of you are able.

Curlygirl Fri 19-Feb-21 23:46:35

No haven’t heard anything more yet but received another survey to fill in earlier this week. It asked about number of rooms in our house etc and if either of ups had recently been diagnosed with a chronic disease. If it’s starting in February there’s only just over a week to go.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:47:04

Zoe are going to do the same it seems.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Feb-21 17:32:04

Has anyone heard anymore after signing up for the fingertip blood test bit?

grumppa Thu 18-Feb-21 17:30:46

Yes, we’ve joined.

Iam64 Sat 13-Feb-21 13:32:11

Yes suziewoosie - we are doing the same virus watch

Curlygirl Sat 13-Feb-21 13:29:52

Yes happy to do that. Wonder what you can do if your antibody levels turn out to be low. I am in the process of having tests for Polymyalgia Rheumatica which I understand to be a type of auto immune disorder and wonder if it could affect antibody levels. Just wait and see!

suziewoozie Sat 13-Feb-21 12:58:12

Curlygirl

Myself and my husband are taking part in the Virus Watch study and yesterday received an invitation to take part in the finger prick testing for antibodies. We have both agreed to do this as it should help scientists discover more about this dreadful virus and how to protect us from it. I would have liked to have taken part in vaccine trials but unfortunately we don’t live in one of the required areas. Nice to know we are contributing in a tiny way to the amazing work done by our brilliant scientists.

Another one - good - compare results later maybe? I was pleased we’d get the results ( although I’d do it anyway)

suziewoozie Sat 13-Feb-21 12:56:29

BigBertha1

Yes we are doing that too susziewoozie as well Zoe the daily reporting study.

Oh good - have you joined the fingertip blood test part yet?If do we can compare results

BigBertha1 Sat 13-Feb-21 10:36:43

Yes we are doing that too susziewoozie as well Zoe the daily reporting study.

Witzend Sat 13-Feb-21 10:23:47

No, but we did the ONS one involving weekly tests for a month, followed by IIRC monthly tests for a year. Someone would come to the door but we did the swab tests ourselves.
There was a £25 voucher (each) per test, which was very nice, but we’d have done it anyway.
There were questions each time about who we’d been seeing, if anybody, any symptoms, etc.

Curlygirl Sat 13-Feb-21 10:18:07

Myself and my husband are taking part in the Virus Watch study and yesterday received an invitation to take part in the finger prick testing for antibodies. We have both agreed to do this as it should help scientists discover more about this dreadful virus and how to protect us from it. I would have liked to have taken part in vaccine trials but unfortunately we don’t live in one of the required areas. Nice to know we are contributing in a tiny way to the amazing work done by our brilliant scientists.

Curlywhirly Fri 12-Feb-21 22:41:08

We are taking part in the ONS Covid Study - we were tested every week for the 1st month, then will be tested once a month thereafter for 12 months. DH had Covid a couple of weeks ago and thankfully is now fine; they have said that at the next visit, they will test him for antibodies.

grannysyb Fri 12-Feb-21 21:40:44

I applied to the study run by Imperial at the beginning, haven't heard anything.

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Feb-21 21:16:21

Thanks suzie

suziewoozie Fri 12-Feb-21 21:03:42

No it’s not Zoe ( I do that as well) Virus Watch is UCL and NIHR ( which is part of NHS) We replied to a text sent by our GP to enter a while ago now. Hancock is absolutely right about the research capacity in this country being excellent

GrannyLaine Fri 12-Feb-21 20:10:41

ExD the Covidence study is a collaborative study by universities in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

ExD Fri 12-Feb-21 18:50:08

Who's running it? Is it the NHS?

Kamiso Fri 12-Feb-21 18:49:50

We are in the Covid19 study. This reminds me that, having had my vaccine today, I need to report it.

BlueSky Fri 12-Feb-21 18:46:24

That’s interesting Suzie I guess now it’s too late to take part?

GrannyLaine Fri 12-Feb-21 18:43:18

I've been participating in the Covidence Study which involves completing a detailed monthly questionnaire (well designed and easy to complete) and last month I provided a fingertip blood test to look at antibody status.

grannyrebel7 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:41:01

No but I'd like to.