Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

After vaccine question

(29 Posts)
Nanderin Tue 16-Feb-21 08:05:24

Hello everyone you might think this a strange question but when you come home after having vaccine do you get a shower or bath and change clothes. Or just wash hands.

MayBee70 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:46:46

I just changed straight back into my pyjamas. Why change the habit of the past 10 months!

Santana Tue 16-Feb-21 16:25:48

I've just this minute got back from the vaccination centre and made a cuppa and eaten three digestives.
Did take my bra off and change into joggers but not because they were contaminated.

maddyone Tue 16-Feb-21 16:09:27

Absolutely Esspee I agree with you, if people feel reassured then they must do whatever makes them feel reassured.

MayBee70 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:42:12

Everything about my vaccine centre was brilliant apart from the exit door that was closed and everyone had to touch to open.

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 15:38:30

I agree with you maddyone you are unlikely to get covid from clothes but if people feel more comfortable changing and showering it does no harm.

maddyone Tue 16-Feb-21 14:57:27

Monica
I think I saw the same research as you which confirmed what I had already thought. I’m always vigilant about sanitising, but I knew the virus is spread via droplets, and so wearing a mask is/was important. Nonetheless I picked up the virus because my mother became infected during a hospital stay after a fall. She had two negative tests before she was discharged and we were advised that she didn’t need to isolate because of the negative tests. Unfortunately she was actually Covid positive and because my husband popped round to do a small job for her (we’re in a support bubble with her) and he contracted Covid from her, and then I contracted it from him. I ended up being hospitalised for twelve days and extremely ill. Mum and my husband had minor symptoms, although Mum did end up being sent back to hospital as she complained of feeling unwell. She was only an inpatient for one day though.
My point is that you need to be near a Covid positive person for quite a while (forty minutes in my husband’s case) in order to contract Covid. We’re unlikely to contact Covid because a tiny bit of viral material somehow got on to our clothes.

MayBee70 Tue 16-Feb-21 14:40:41

I was going to shower and change my clothes on returning from the vaccination centre but it was so well organised and well ventilated that I didn’t shower. I did change my clothes though. I wore two masks, a medical grade mask inside a tighter fitting cotton one with filter. I sanitised my hands prior to entering the sports stadium and then during and after leaving! I felt happier there than I would have done at my surgery which is obviously much smaller and not well ventilated. Had I gone there I would have showered also.

M0nica Tue 16-Feb-21 14:34:04

There was research published very recently that showed the probability of picking up covid from a keypad, door handle or hand rail was so low, it could almost be counted out. Not only does the virus have to be present, it has to be present in a significant quantity to be capable of giving you the illness.

My rule from the start has been gloves and mask and then stop thinking about it.

Ailidh Tue 16-Feb-21 10:44:34

Nanderin

Hello everyone you might think this a strange question but when you come home after having vaccine do you get a shower or bath and change clothes. Or just wash hands.

I did.
I don't for everyday things like shopping or walking the dog but I do after medical things.

The centre I went to was amazingly well set up but I do know of another venue near me where santizing of chairs, maintenance of distance etc has seemed minimal. I didn't know in advance how good the centre was going to be, so I'd planned the whole "get re-showered, wash clothes" thing, so I did it anyway.

maddyone Tue 16-Feb-21 10:05:02

I have never showered or changed my clothes when I arrive home throughout the pandemic. I think it’s totally over the top. I do wash my hands immediately I get in. Anyway Covid is passed person to person. There seem to be increasing numbers of experts telling us that the likelihood of contracting Covid from touch is very low because Covid is passed via droplets in the air.

BlueSky Tue 16-Feb-21 09:59:27

Thanks M0nica I’m much better than I used to be but some rituals still stick. Most of the pandemic rituals, wash hands and distance, are second nature to me. Only the mask is a new one...

M0nica Tue 16-Feb-21 09:46:09

I asked this question out of interest and curiousity. I used the phrase 'with respect' because I didn't want it to sound like an interrogation or as if I wanted anyone to justify their decision. but several people had said they did as you do, including the OP, but no-one offered an explanation why - and to those of us who it would never occur to are obviously curious about this.

When I said I always wore plastic gloves. I did explain why, so I am asking no more than I offered myself.

BlueSky Tue 16-Feb-21 09:27:41

M0nica

*BlueSky*, with respect, why?

M0nica because I’ve got OCD. I used to change, shower and put my clothes in the wash after a hospital appointment even before the pandemic.

PamelaJ1 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:19:48

Well I’m going today but all my clothing concerns are about what to wear for my outing.?
I’m going to a hub so am travelling 20miles to get there. It’s like a big adventure.
Hair washed ✔️ Get dressed up with a short sleeved top✔️ Make up✔️. Hand washing more frequently is just normal now.
I haven’t given any thought to changing when I get back.

Kalu Tue 16-Feb-21 09:18:29

I used my hand sanitiser until I return home to wash my hands and mask.

This has been my ritual for over a year now on the very rare occasion I actually go out.

suziewoozie Tue 16-Feb-21 09:15:52

I’ve believed all the way through that people should do what makes them feel comfortable as long as they are taking the virus seriously and not bring cavalier with the health and safety of others.

Septimia Tue 16-Feb-21 09:09:50

I wear different clothes around the house and put something more respectable on to go out. So when I got home from the vaccination centre I naturally changed into my indoor clothes.

25Avalon Tue 16-Feb-21 09:05:41

Coat has gone “into quarantine” for 3-4 days. Trousers due to be washed anyway so they went into the wm along with face mask. Washed hands and made a nice cup of tea.

kircubbin2000 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:57:17

No, I didn't touch anything and was out in minutes.

Charleygirl5 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:55:13

I would do what tanith has suggested. The only time I change clothes etc is when I spend 7 hours in OPD a few times a year.

M0nica Tue 16-Feb-21 08:54:18

BlueSky, with respect, why?

BlueSky Tue 16-Feb-21 08:51:06

I washed my hands and changed into my ‘at home’ clothes as always. But I know what you mean, when I’ve been for hospital appointments I’ve showered and put my clothes in the laundry bin!

M0nica Tue 16-Feb-21 08:48:20

I wear plastic disposable gloves because constant sanitising and washing was playing merry hell with my skin. I slaver them in sanitiser, as I would if I was bare skinned and throw them away and wash my hands when I get home, but changing clothes and showering. Why?

Grannynannywanny Tue 16-Feb-21 08:25:11

Nanderin the entire process ran like clockwork. I was in and out in 15 mins and felt very safe. Patients were very spaced out. Chairs were sanitised after each person. I sanitised my hands again on exit, although I hadn’t actually touched anything. Then just washed my hands on arrival home.

I didn’t feel any need to shower or change clothes. But if it gives you peace of mind to do so then that’s what to do.

What I did feel the urge to do was tumble a few somersaults on the way back to the car because I felt so elated!

Calendargirl Tue 16-Feb-21 08:21:53

Have never showered or bathed or changed clothes when home from shopping throughout all the lockdowns. It would never have occurred to me that people are still doing this.

Just always washed hands really well with soap and hot water as soon as I come in.