Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Seems like I'm being left behind!

(111 Posts)
nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:53:36

Hi there, I'm surprised how I feel after my husband was vaccinated this morning. He is 67 and I am 63, so he has been called in. The letter from the NHS offered a booking online or the alternative, to wait until our gp surgery called him in. He was going to take the 2nd option as we'd hoped to go together. Then on the spur, he went online and booked. I am very happy for him, however I now feel out on a limb and my anxiety has increased because all of our friends have been vaccinated, now my husband has, and not me. I cannot understand why or how I am feeling like I am when I am so grateful he has had his jab. I know it won't be long until it's my turn, but until then I feel set apart from everyone. It's hard to put into words.

nananet01 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:00:47

Ellianne, that is so funny, I almost said those words myself today but stopped them from spilling out on auto!

nananet01 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:57:15

Well I thought I'd post an update as this post generated an unexpected amount of interest!
I had my jab this morning. The venue wasn't overly busy but I still managed to resemble a rabbit caught in the headlights. That said, the actual process of the jab was over in a nano second to the extent I am wondering if I actually had it at all! No after affects at all, quite disappointing really as being a little bit rediculous I accept but I'm feeling I would like some kind of sensation to confirm the humongous event actually took place!

Polarbear2 Thu 25-Feb-21 19:34:42

nananet01

Polarbear 2 - checked the website this afternoon and bingo-I'm in tomorrow morning?‍♂️

Brilliant. Glad you got sorted. ?

nananet01 Thu 25-Feb-21 17:10:32

Polarbear 2 - checked the website this afternoon and bingo-I'm in tomorrow morning?‍♂️

Polarbear2 Wed 24-Feb-21 19:34:53

Assume you’ve checked the website? It says over 64 but if you go on it let’s you book younger than that. I’m 63 and just booked mine. Not sure how ‘young’ it goes but worth a try. ?

Ellianne Wed 24-Feb-21 09:33:04

Blossoming the word "relief" at having the jab sums it up. The OP, like me, is in limbo a bit and I agree it is like sitting on a volcano. I think it is easier for people who have had it to say to others "be patient, wait your turn, won't be too long etc." To me it feels like a race to the finishing line now since the announcements.

MandK Wed 24-Feb-21 07:46:52

Check the NHS online vaccination site, they are reducing the age limit, I think you might get an appointment, and check every day if you can't book today. Good luck

Blossoming Tue 23-Feb-21 15:13:32

Mr. B is in the same position nananet01. He’s in the next group to be ‘done’ once they’ve chased up outstanding ECV and elderly patients in this area, so hopefully it won’t be much longer. I do understand how you feel, I felt such relief after I had mine.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Feb-21 15:09:37

It's worth keeping a check on who is getting 'done' in your area.
Mistakes have been made, and people have been left behind.

It's bound to happen, given the huge undertaking.

NansCuties Tue 23-Feb-21 15:05:10

I am in exactly the same position, husband is 67 and had his jab 3 weeks ago, I’m 63 and no idea when it will be my turn. However, I know of at least half a dozen people younger than me who have jabs booked, it all depends on which health authority you come under

Cabbie21 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:38:41

My children, aged 46 and 49 have had it! My daughter is a volunteer and my son’s wife is a volunteer so they were offered does which would otherwise have been wasted at the end of the day. My daughter had quite bad side effects for 30 hours though.

growstuff Sun 21-Feb-21 14:32:41

I know that the number of people who have been asked to shield has increased, but could somebody please provide a link showing that these people are now "jumping the queue"? My understanding was that the priority list hasn't changed.

Some areas are further ahead in the roll out due to some peculiar way of allocating doses.

I'm 65 (nearly 66) so I'm Group 5. I haven't heard anything from my GP hub and I know that they have run out of doses and don't know when any more will be delivered.

However, I do have my first vaccination booked for next week at a mass centre run by the NHS, which has a different supply system.

As well as being in Group 5, I'm also in Group 6 (diabetic). I was able to book the appointment because I'm Group 5, not because I'm Group 6. The people in Group 6 under 65 in this area haven't been contacted yet (unless they've been able to slip in under the radar or are eligible because they are healthcare or care workers).

There seems to be a postcode lottery element about the roll out and, personally, I think it's petty to squabble or feel jealous of other people - unless, of course, you genuinely have been left off some list.

GreenGran78 Sun 21-Feb-21 14:05:51

I’m 81, and had my first jab some weeks ago, but I would have been perfectly happy to wait. I’m fit and healthy, and careful about keeping my distance. I would have been quite content to give my place up to someone like my daughter, who is in daily contact with the public.
Frankly, I can’t understand why you feel the way that you do, especially as you are likely to be called very soon after your husband.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 08:30:57

Seriously, thanks everyone.
I think the reason is he had a common happening after a flight a year or so ago but none of the tests have found any reason for it. Maybe unexplained events are included as they could blow up with covid?
Just grateful the gp is cautious.
Thanks.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 08:25:34

Unless your DH has changed his ethnicity or place of residence
I just knew he is leading a double life! How many extra kids I wonder?

growstuff Sun 21-Feb-21 08:22:03

Ellianne

I assume the "extras" were added in when gps were asked to minutely review their lists in line with any new findings. And rightly so, I'm not going to argue with that.
It was just funny that in our household the younger, healthier, fitter one got there first!
(And he has no side effects today at all! - Grr He can get his own breakfast now!)

I don't think the priority order has changed. Unless your DH has changed his ethnicity or place of residence, that won't have affected him. Maybe it was a clerical error.

rosie1959 Sun 21-Feb-21 08:22:03

Ellianne true also it is not always a case of being less careful as I pointed out to my lovely stepmum who has been vaccinated ages ago and is complaining people are still out and about. She can stay at home her income us not affected but this is not so with many.

Daisymae Sun 21-Feb-21 08:15:35

I wonder if you feel like this because your husband has broken ranks. You agreed that you would go together and then he went and booked himself in! Actually I would be a bit cross under those circumstances. Still it won't be long before it's your turn.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 08:10:12

and whilst many are prepared to stay inside I am pretty sure this is not the case among the younger population.
True rosie and I have my doubts whether these same people will be prepared to exercise caution for 3 weeks after their jab and beyond. Once jabbed they will be even less careful.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 08:05:50

I assume the "extras" were added in when gps were asked to minutely review their lists in line with any new findings. And rightly so, I'm not going to argue with that.
It was just funny that in our household the younger, healthier, fitter one got there first!
(And he has no side effects today at all! - Grr He can get his own breakfast now!)

rosie1959 Sun 21-Feb-21 08:00:14

Hopefully with the PMs wish to have everybody vaccinated by the end of July they will now pick up the pace
I think the sooner the better the country is going to start to open up and whilst many are prepared to stay inside I am pretty sure this is not the case among the younger population.
Also many of them cannot work from home and need to be out and about

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 07:44:08

My husband (60) for one growstuff!! With no real health condition.

growstuff Sun 21-Feb-21 07:40:48

Ellianne Which extra people have been slotted into the queue? As far as I know, they're still sticking to the original priority list in this phase, apart from a few "extras" who have been added when there were extra doses.

growstuff Sun 21-Feb-21 07:38:08

misty34

I do understand, in my area they are just starting 60-65 but also including 16- 65 with underlying conditions, a huge group!
I am 61 and have COPD a respiratory disease and all around me are younger people this week having jabs in 30=40's for obesity, diabetes or even pre- diabetes. i know we are all at risk and I feel selfish thinking because I am older that I deserve it first. I don't like myself for my reaction but I have not left house since March and struggle to breath doing daily activities so am terrified of Covid and younger neighbours and extended family members are going about their lives shopping etc and I feel aggrieved. I think it is because I thought I would be hot on the heels of the 65-69's and now feel I have no idea where I am in this queue, if that makes sense.

If you have COPD, you should be vaccinated before people beteen 60-65. Your health condition "trumps" your age in this case.

It might be different in Scotland, Wales and NI.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 07:21:07

misty34 your last sentence is very true, but we have seen many things change at the drop of a hat with this virus. By that I mean schools had to close with no notice and travel was curtailed at the last minute etc. That's how it is.
I guess the extra people slotted into the vaccination queue have pushed some of us in the 60 - 65 group further down the list and we just have to hang in there a bit longer. It does feel like we are left dangling a bit and maybe we get even more despondent when others say they were told "yes, fine" when they went along with their partner or friend.