Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Looking forward to the ‘roadmap’

(128 Posts)
suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 22:43:28

Something else to talk about thank goodness. All I want from it is a sensible measured phased return to schools and to be able to meet outside with one other household. The rest can wait until we see how that works out.

FarNorth Sun 28-Feb-21 11:19:28

And we don't know how effective the vaccine will be, for all sorts of reasons, so caution is needed.

rosie1959 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:01:43

FarNorth we didnt have a vaccine last year

FarNorth Sun 28-Feb-21 10:42:09

Exactly hilz.
They had it all planned out last year - back to the office, eat out to help out, back to normal by Xmas - and we know how that went.

hilz Sun 28-Feb-21 10:38:49

I just want to be confident that folk being out and about,visiting shops or eating out with friends is a safe things to do. Roadmaps won't tell me that so i'm listening to the advice from public health. Stay safe x

LauraNorder Fri 26-Feb-21 21:25:42

Any silliness has been on the part of the government and the general public. The police are just doing their job.
I am grateful that my police officer husband was able to reach retirement in spite of the disrespect and danger.

GrannyRose15 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:52:10

I am sorry for you if you cannot see that a lot of what has been said and done over the last twelve months has been very silly indeed.

If you want to take offence at my comments you are perfectly entitled to do so. We live in a free country after all. Don't we????

LauraNorder Thu 25-Feb-21 22:58:15

‘Why not? They will probably join in the party. After all they won't have any silly laws to enforce any longer and they will have forgotten what they were originally for ( i.e. fighting crime.)’
Grannyrose the above was your answer to WhiteWave’s comment ‘I don’t envy the police on 21 June’ with which I agreed.
I found your comment offensive to serving police officers, they are well aware of their purpose and the ‘silly’ laws you refer to are in place to keep you safe, therefore the breaking of them is a crime.

LauraNorder Thu 25-Feb-21 22:49:00

Grannyrose, you are right, I don’t know what you’ve experienced in your life but I do know from your rather silly comments that you have no experience of policing on the front line.
I also find your comment that you won’t feel sorry for any police officer who is doing his duty quite offensive. Being vomited on, spat at, punched, kicked, verbally abused, shot at, knifed, dragged behind a stolen car is not the duty of a police officer.

LauraNorder Thu 25-Feb-21 22:35:29

I agree with your last statement Lucca. Masks afford a reasonable protection from a deadly virus, not dehumanising at all. Real and sincere smiles show in the eyes

Lucca Thu 25-Feb-21 22:08:19

I can’t see why masks are dehumanising at all. They offer protection.

GrannyRose15 Thu 25-Feb-21 21:55:37

LauraNorder

*GrannyRose15*, it’s clear you’ve never served on the front line after a Saturday night of drunken revelry, spat at, vomited on, verbally and physically assaulted and yet expected to keep the peace and uphold any ‘silly’ laws to keep the public safe, even from a deadly virus.

How do you know what I have or have not experienced in my life?

I'm not going to feel sorry for any police officer who is doing his duty.

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 00:39:27

Wow growstuff looks as though we’ve found something else to agree on.

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 00:37:15

GrannyRose15, it’s clear you’ve never served on the front line after a Saturday night of drunken revelry, spat at, vomited on, verbally and physically assaulted and yet expected to keep the peace and uphold any ‘silly’ laws to keep the public safe, even from a deadly virus.

growstuff Wed 24-Feb-21 00:33:50

Thanks for that remark, growstuff. I'm glad to hear I have no brain. It saves me the trouble of thinking for myself.

You're welcome. It's not what I wrote, but if you think the cap fits, that's up to you.

GrannyRose15 Tue 23-Feb-21 23:47:01

Whitewavemark2

I don’t envy the police on 21 June?

Why not? They will probably join in the party. After all they won't have any silly laws to enforce any longer and they will have forgotten what they were originally for ( i.e. fighting crime.)

GrannyRose15 Tue 23-Feb-21 23:41:10

growstuff

GrannyRose15

songstress60

I just want an end to social distancing and masks when we are all vaccinated. Social distancing should NEVER be the new normal like they are trying to say. Had my vaccination last month and the nurse said things will never be the same again and that social distancing is here to stay. That's what I want a return back to normal. What was the point of the vaccine if there is no return to normal.

I agree about masks - they are so dehumanising and should be ditched at the earliest opportunity never to be seen on our streets again. I can't see them catching on permanently once restrictions are lifted.

Social distancing is a very different matter though. We have all got so used to swerving round people in the street, avoiding hugs and handshakes, and staying out of other people's houses that I think for a lot of people it will have become ingrained and it will be a very long time before we go back to the level of close contact that we had before Covid.

Masks are counter-cultural as we rely so much on facial expressions to communicate with each other, but social distancing has been the norm for most of our country's history. The curtsey and the bow ( how I wish they could be revived) were the traditional greeting until the handshake took over. And it is only very recently indeed that we have started to hug and kiss each other when we meet - it certainly wasn't the done thing when I was a child.

Why are they dehumanising? You're still the same person.

Wearing them as a precaution is a no-brainer.

Thanks for that remark, growstuff. I'm glad to hear I have no brain. It saves me the trouble of thinking for myself.

LauraNorder Tue 23-Feb-21 13:04:37

Biscuitmuncher

When people say were all in this together reminds me of this, We are all in the same storm but some of us are in yachts, some in dingys and some are drowning

I agree with your serious point and would add that not all are taking the lifejacket that is being offered.

JaneJudge Tue 23-Feb-21 12:27:10

btw I think wearing a mask is the least of most people's worries

Biscuitmuncher Tue 23-Feb-21 12:27:02

When people say were all in this together reminds me of this, We are all in the same storm but some of us are in yachts, some in dingys and some are drowning

JaneJudge Tue 23-Feb-21 12:26:38

Is it advisable to wear a mask outside now too?

grandmajet Tue 23-Feb-21 10:40:57

The one absolute certainty about the government’s plan is that some people will grumble about it.
They would grumble whatever the plan was.
It seems quite straightforward and sensible to me.

Sarnia Tue 23-Feb-21 08:56:17

I think Boris & Co have produced a sensible roadmap. The 5 week gap makes a lot of sense and gives time for data to be analysed to see whether the next step can go ahead. I hope that unless people have a valid medical reason for not having the vaccine, people will step up to have their jab. I hope that those who think the rules don't apply to them, take responsibility and follow the guidelines. We are all in this together and in order to come out of what has been the most awful year for most people and start living again we have to do our bit.

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 08:52:56

mumstheword86

Why dont people just when they leave home wear a face mask
Its simple and might stop the spread of more of the virus Its air bourne and anyone coughing or sneezing etc will save anyone nearby getting the virus walking near to one another is beyond my understanding or common sence aproach.

It would appear there are a lot of stroppy snowflakes around.

There really are more important things to get wound up about.

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 08:51:10

What does "counter-cultural" mean?

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 08:50:28

GrannyRose15

songstress60

I just want an end to social distancing and masks when we are all vaccinated. Social distancing should NEVER be the new normal like they are trying to say. Had my vaccination last month and the nurse said things will never be the same again and that social distancing is here to stay. That's what I want a return back to normal. What was the point of the vaccine if there is no return to normal.

I agree about masks - they are so dehumanising and should be ditched at the earliest opportunity never to be seen on our streets again. I can't see them catching on permanently once restrictions are lifted.

Social distancing is a very different matter though. We have all got so used to swerving round people in the street, avoiding hugs and handshakes, and staying out of other people's houses that I think for a lot of people it will have become ingrained and it will be a very long time before we go back to the level of close contact that we had before Covid.

Masks are counter-cultural as we rely so much on facial expressions to communicate with each other, but social distancing has been the norm for most of our country's history. The curtsey and the bow ( how I wish they could be revived) were the traditional greeting until the handshake took over. And it is only very recently indeed that we have started to hug and kiss each other when we meet - it certainly wasn't the done thing when I was a child.

Why are they dehumanising? You're still the same person.

Wearing them as a precaution is a no-brainer.