Coronavirus

Are we allowed to be optimistic yet? *Title edited by GNHQ*

(89 Posts)
Alegrias1 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:38:30

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153600

The vaccines are showing "spectacular" effects in preventing serious illness

maddyone Mon 05-Apr-21 14:01:06

Polarbear2

Very optimistic over here. We’ve all had our vaccine. Even my adult children. Of course it’s not going away but we’ll learn to live with it. Life is too short to live in fear. ?

Yes, I agree. I was terrified at first, last year, but not any longer, because I’ve had the virus and I’ve had the vaccine, Pfizer in my case. I’m looking forward to the next one, due in early May.

Polarbear2 Sun 04-Apr-21 20:19:33

Very optimistic over here. We’ve all had our vaccine. Even my adult children. Of course it’s not going away but we’ll learn to live with it. Life is too short to live in fear. ?

Kim19 Sun 04-Apr-21 20:08:46

All positive for me. I'm going on a mini shopping 'spree' tomorrow and then I'm having my second jab next week. Decidedly excited and grateful. First time I recollect being glad to be so old! Next big deal is lunch outing reserved for the 26th. Can't wait. Yes progress is certainly in sight for me. It's been a long year.

Casdon Wed 24-Feb-21 22:44:10

It’s raining here too, it has been for ever it seems - I’m in Wales. They are promising a good weekend for the UK as a whole though, fingers crossed.

GrannyRose15 Wed 24-Feb-21 22:40:17

I don't where you are but is raining here at the moment. sad

I'll let you know when I see the first daffodils.

Casdon Wed 24-Feb-21 22:31:47

As a starting point I’m optimistic for this weekend because according to the weather forecast the sun is going to shine, and for a few days together. At least then we can be outside, which always makes me feel better, particularly when spring is coming and there’s the promise of more to come.

GrannyRose15 Wed 24-Feb-21 21:37:07

Casdon

I feel sad for you GrannyRose15, I’d hate to think I’d never be optimistic again. I do think the world will change as a result of this, but I feel optimistic because in many ways I think it will change for the better.

I know what you could do. Every so often you could let me know of a reason to be cheerful.
You may be right about things changing for the better but, as I've said, I don't have a lot of hope. Feeling very down at the moment. All this has gone on for such a long time.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Feb-21 10:13:58

We are always allowed to be optimistic, no-one can stop that.

IMO all through the lockdown people have been far too despondent, which only made things harder for themselves.

The vaccines seem to be working fine, more people are vaccinated every day, and spring is coming.

So, yes, be optimistic!

Casdon Wed 24-Feb-21 09:20:22

I feel sad for you GrannyRose15, I’d hate to think I’d never be optimistic again. I do think the world will change as a result of this, but I feel optimistic because in many ways I think it will change for the better.

Shropshirelass Wed 24-Feb-21 08:15:48

Both vaccines are effective. My DH and I both had the Pfizer one because that it what our surgery was giving. I have friends who have had the AZ one and they weren’t worried about anything. There is too much negative hype on the internet, I believe the scientists, they are the ones who know and anyway they wouldn’t use a vaccine that was not effective, there’s no point is there?

GrannyRose15 Wed 24-Feb-21 01:19:07

I will never be optimistic again. The virus might subside, but the fear will be with us for ever.

Fear has driven our response to the virus and it will continue to blight our lives. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine against fear.

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 01:04:03

My optimism extends to being able to sit in my garden with a few members of my family or my friends at a safe distance during the summer. I will be happy to continue to wear a mask if I am indoors in a public place and keep my distance elsewhere. I’ve always been an adherent of the hand washing routine.
I will continue to do my best not to catch or to spread covid, influenza or even the common cold.
If that’s my future and it keeps my family safe then so be it.

Saetana Wed 24-Feb-21 00:58:46

Quick addition - I have no idea why people in England are confused about shielding, the current advice is to shield until AT LEAST the end of March with further advice coming during March to update the situation! NOBODY in government has said that it is safe to stop shielding at the end of March! Seriously, some people will use any manufactured excuse to have a go at the government, when it is themselves who have not properly read the advice.

Saetana Wed 24-Feb-21 00:52:58

I am really pleased to see the data coming out from the Astrazenica vaccine - as this is the one my husband had his first dose of over two weeks ago, and the one I expect to get myself later this week. The idiot Europeans (France and Germany mostly) who say this vaccine is not effective in the over 65s are going to have to eat their words as its proving highly effective across ALL age groups. There are people in France and Germany who are refusing the Astrazenica vaccine when offered, all down to poor, cynical and political misinformation from their politicians. I for one am very proud of our homegrown vaccine - which is the ONLY one that is being provided at cost price across the world for the duration of the pandemic. Looking forward to my vaccine on Thursday (even though I am needlephobic) - my husband had no side effects other than a sore arm for a couple of days.

Amberone Tue 23-Feb-21 16:23:15

Songstress60 Don't feel depressed - one step at a time. I doubt this vaccine will be the final offering the wizards in the labs have to offer.

I know some nurses who have been working 12 hour shifts on and off for some time in horrendous conditions. I can only imagine their relief that the day is coming when not only will they be able to work in better conditions, with less chance of catching Covid, but their hours will be decreased as the number of people hospitalized decreases.

Sparky56 Tue 23-Feb-21 16:07:35

Some friend!!!

Marydoll Tue 23-Feb-21 16:03:13

The vaccine doesn't stop you catching it. Why do people think it will?

From the NHS England website.

The 1st dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should give you good protection from coronavirus. But you need to have the 2 doses of the vaccine to give you longer lasting protection.

There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

This means it is important to:
continue to follow social distancing guidance
if you can, wear something that covers your nose and mouth in places where it's hard to stay away from other people.

songstress60 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:55:31

I want social distancing and masks to end completely. Surely that is the idea of the vaccine but according to Matt Hancock social distancing is the future. It's depressing and I have nothing to feel optimistic over.

Marydoll Tue 23-Feb-21 15:42:15

I mean BJ is the buffoon, not anyone on here! blush

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 14:45:04

Marydoll

Totally agree Growstuff.
I will take advice from my clinicians, not a buffoon.
Unfortunately there will be shielders reading this who will take it as a given fact that all shielders can go out at the end of March.

Yes, I know. What Johnson actually said was that the clinically vulnerable people should shield until at least the end of March - not that the end of March would definitely be safe.

I despair! Why don't people listen?

If somebody important (like a government minister) did say on the news that the end of March would be safe, he or she needs to be sacked (having said that, there's a queue of those who should be sacked but won't be - arrrrgghhh!)

Marydoll Tue 23-Feb-21 14:39:18

Totally agree Growstuff.
I will take advice from my clinicians, not a buffoon.
Unfortunately there will be shielders reading this who will take it as a given fact that all shielders can go out at the end of March.

chazwin Tue 23-Feb-21 14:36:28

Being optimisting is a way of life. There is no reason you should not have felt optimistic all year.

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 14:34:08

I honestly think whoever it was who gave the end of March as a firm date was being utterly irresponsible. An awful lot can happen in five weeks. The return of schools could be the start of another spike. If you look at the case data broken down by lower tier region, most areas have quite big pockets where new cases have been rising steadily for the last few days.

growstuff Tue 23-Feb-21 14:30:15

Marydoll

Nannina where are you getting the information that shielding will end by the end of March?
As a shielder I won't be going anywhere, according my consultant. I think I'm pretty au fait with things, but I have seen nothing about this.

It depends where you live. I think you're in Scotland. If you're in the Orkneys, you could probably risk it, but if you're in the Central Belt, I'd think I'd wait for the incidence rate to come down a bit and stay down.

Namsnanny Tue 23-Feb-21 14:29:51

With regards to the op, yes I'm being 51% on the optimistic side.

Take each day as it comes. No breaking rules just yet. But for me a definite lightness in my demeanor!
Credit where credit is due.smile