Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Can "anti-Vaxxers&q uot; explain?

(224 Posts)
Jillybird Tue 23-Feb-21 12:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annodomini Wed 24-Feb-21 20:46:55

The problem of needle phobia may well be overcome by other methods of administering the vaccine. I saw (somewhere) that some scientists are developing a nasal spray like the one they use for giving flu vaccine to children.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 21:28:16

MissAdventure

By not taking the piss out of them?
By not saying you've lost patience with them?
Open dialogue and not patronising them?
Not posting "clever" things thought up by someone else on facebook about them?

What else should we do, tempt them in with a bit of lettuce and a bit of petting?

Maybe we could roll the vaccine up in a bit of cheese and tempt them with that?

Oh, I know what about we give them a smartie and a badge afterwards. That should do it.

They are adults - they are already alienated, being nice doesn't solve it, everyone has tried.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 21:32:37

You will make it worse then. I dont mean you personally to be clear. See Trump and Brexit.

GrannyRose15 Wed 24-Feb-21 21:33:29

There have been problems with just about every vaccine with people not believing it would do them any good or believing it would do them harm. There were fears about the whooping cough vaccine when I had my first son. I was very ill at the time so we decided not to have him vaccinated just in case he had a bad reaction. When the second child came along we had them both done at the same time.

But I can't forget how ill my daughter was after having the MMR aged 4.

On the whole I am in favour of vaccination but I understnad why some people might be more cautious. We have to be more tolerant towards them and not make them justify themselves. If they feel they have to do that, their views will become more entrenched.

The best advertisement for vaccines is the fall in the death and hospitalisation numbers.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the government is failing to see the obvious. If they don't let us out when the vulnerable have all been vaccinated they are saying that they don't have faith in the vaccine. A bit of an own goal really.

Bridgeit Wed 24-Feb-21 21:37:53

Hetty58, Brilliant,

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 21:37:59

I think the evidence bears me out on this.
Being sarcastic to me certainly won't send vaccine sceptics off to the nearest hub.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 21:50:16

I was listening to a podcast recently when someone was talking about the scorn with which we treat those who hold different opinions to us, he was talking in particular about the 'left' and 'right' and how dialogue between the two was almost impossible now. His idea was forgiveness that the only way to move forward was to forgive those who had 'wronged' us in a political sense. If there is no dialogue with the anti vaxxers, with the millions who think trump was robbed of the election, etc then what do you think the outcome will be.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 21:53:28

Being superior regarding other people's views wont change anything either - it just recreates the problem with another set of people who decide to clam up and stop discussing. Instead they will go in search of like minded people and band with them and create an echo chamber of fears and rhetoric. Again and again - no matter what the topic. Sometimes you catch more flies with honey.

So, sorry for the sarcasm here and elsewhere , but what on earth did you expect, a "good grief, you're so right!". You might have got it if you asked a question instead of making a judgement.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 21:54:48

I don't expect anything particularly.
It's a chat site.
I'm chatting.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 22:03:17

If you say so.

Ro60 Wed 24-Feb-21 23:20:16

The mmr vaccine controversy was disproved. I know someone that worked on the investigation early conspiracy theorist trying to make a name for themselves.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 23:33:03

Yes, I know it was, but there are people even now who still feel suspicious of vaccinating their children, and lots who weren't "done" because of the fears at the time.
When I was little, some children were sent to mix with children with the measles, so they could catch it.

People are a funny lot.

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 00:10:45

NellG

Sorry to upset the applecart again but this is from the AZ leaflet,

Which part of this says it contains monkey DNA?

Oh, that’s right, it doesn’t say that at all.

NellG Thu 25-Feb-21 02:32:05

Blossoming

NellG

Sorry to upset the applecart again but this is from the AZ leaflet,

Which part of this says it contains monkey DNA?

Oh, that’s right, it doesn’t say that at all.

When did I say it did? I have already explained my use of that term several times in relation to some people's thoughts on what is in the vaccine, not my thoughts. The post you are referring to was in response to someone saying that scientists had repeatedly stated that none of the vaccines contained organic materials - that was incorrect so I posted the correct information as at that time the discussion was about potential reasons why people might refuse the vaccine.

Would you explain to me what you feel I did wrong here, or why you felt the need to 'have a pop' at me?

tickingbird Thu 25-Feb-21 06:07:57

Being sarcastic to me certainly won't send vaccine sceptics off to the nearest hub

No Miss Adventure it’ll cart them off to the nearest ICU or worse. Unfortunately they may take up a bed that could have been used by someone else. They deserve to have the “piss taken out of them” as some of the nonsense doing the rounds is ridiculous. I have one acquaintance that has had to shield due to leukaemia treatment but won’t have the vaccine as it’s all part of a plot by Bill Gates.

Galaxy Thu 25-Feb-21 06:54:10

But taking the piss out of them wont free up those ICU beds it will just further entrench people in their theories, push them away from the mainstream, and the next conspiracy theory could be worse. Of course its nonsense, its nonsense that Trump won the election, the last figures I saw were something like 75% of his base thought that, that's millions of people not just a couple of blokes holed up in their bedroom. I am unsure of the prevalence of anti vaxxers but it feels to me more than the odd one which you could safely ignore. I think even with the mmr scare social media wasnt as widely used at the time as it is now which I guess is part of the problem.

tickingbird Thu 25-Feb-21 08:09:45

I also think that with lockdown people have had time on their hands and social media has run riot with this stuff. People can go on Facebook and Youtube and post all sorts of nonsense and they have an audience and you’re right, there are millions all over the world believing this. It’s all a hoax and the White House is nest of paedophiles and Trump is the only one who can save us. I’m shocked at the amount of intelligent, normally sound people that truly believe this stuff.

Franbern Thu 25-Feb-21 08:41:06

I have a cousin, (White English), University educated, ex-teacher, who refused ALL vaccinations,. What is known as a health addict, he is approaching 90 years of age, still cycles everywhere,. Believes that nature, with help from good exercise and nutrition is enough. Obviously he has been a vegetarian for many years and is now a vegan!!!

He lives in South London, so in a danger area. When I chat with him on the 'phone, he still insists that this is just a type of influenza and has continued with his usual life with meeting up with all his family and social groupst t

To me, he is a lost cause, fortunately he has not caught Covid 19. Although he is slim and very healthy I think his age would be against him,. He does try to convince me that this particular vaccine will change my DNA - but apart from that (and refusing the vaccinations), his arguments come over as more or less lucid and logical.

rafichagran Thu 25-Feb-21 08:44:01

I have had the vaccine, but I still think that if people do not want it, it is there prerogative.
In my family my daughter will have the vaccine, but my sons partner will not. She does not have weird conspiracy theories, she has her own views for not wanting it.

growstuff Thu 25-Feb-21 08:48:35

rafichagran

I have had the vaccine, but I still think that if people do not want it, it is there prerogative.
In my family my daughter will have the vaccine, but my sons partner will not. She does not have weird conspiracy theories, she has her own views for not wanting it.

What are your son's partner's reasons?

rafichagran Thu 25-Feb-21 08:50:35

Also dont think "taking the piss" will help. I would love to see someone do that to my sons partner, she is intelligent enough to make any bullying behaviour by anyone look stupid.
Some posters on here have to realise that not everyone shares their views. I do not agree with my sons partner, but respect her right to hold her views.

growstuff Thu 25-Feb-21 08:52:31

Galaxy

But taking the piss out of them wont free up those ICU beds it will just further entrench people in their theories, push them away from the mainstream, and the next conspiracy theory could be worse. Of course its nonsense, its nonsense that Trump won the election, the last figures I saw were something like 75% of his base thought that, that's millions of people not just a couple of blokes holed up in their bedroom. I am unsure of the prevalence of anti vaxxers but it feels to me more than the odd one which you could safely ignore. I think even with the mmr scare social media wasnt as widely used at the time as it is now which I guess is part of the problem.

I agree. They're more likely to become defensive, support their theory more aggressively and seek solace amongst those of the same mindset. Nobody likes to admit that a deeply entrenched opinion is wrong. They're likely to see themselves as victims of some conspiracy (thus "proving" their point about all the allegedly wicked people out there) and accuse others of bullying them

growstuff Thu 25-Feb-21 08:53:14

rafichagran

Also dont think "taking the piss" will help. I would love to see someone do that to my sons partner, she is intelligent enough to make any bullying behaviour by anyone look stupid.
Some posters on here have to realise that not everyone shares their views. I do not agree with my sons partner, but respect her right to hold her views.

As a matter of interest, what are her reasons?

3nanny6 Thu 25-Feb-21 15:19:56

I am still waiting to hear if the vaccine will be made mandatory or not as I have seen posters on this thread saying it should be mandatory.
Some posters mention that family members will not have the vaccine, trying to get those posters is not entirely any ones business they have to justify why those family members are opting out of being vaccinated. Perhaps it is just personal choice.
I have two family members that are of vaccine age and who I am very fond of and want them to stay well. One of them has recently had the first dose and his second dose is end of April, he had the vaccine because as he says Covid it out there. I have tried explaining to him that he should not travel 10 miles by train to do what he calls essential shopping. In two weeks time he is travelling to see the other family member a journey of over 15 miles and she is encouraging him to visit her. People are looking at this vaccine as if it is a magic formula yet there are many people out there who are not having the vaccine and look at my own family members travelling about as if this is all over, they are not even fully protected with the vaccine yet. I at least stick to shopping locally and not meeting up with other relatives at the moment and do my best to keep all restrictions. The vaxxers on here may be good at keeping to the restrictions but not all the O.A.Ps are.

GrannyRose15 Thu 25-Feb-21 21:41:55

MissAdventure

I think the evidence bears me out on this.
Being sarcastic to me certainly won't send vaccine sceptics off to the nearest hub.

I agree. No amount of sarcasm is going to alter people's view. Let them be and let the evidence speak for itself.