Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Cannot help questioning why I am now on this list after all this time?

(16 Posts)
Anneishere Sun 28-Feb-21 12:32:51

I have now been added to the shielding list?‍♀️ I have my second vaccination 26 April. I have throughout this pandemic religiously followed the guidelines face/hand/distancing etc. I am aged 67 and I have heart disease (I had just one stent placed early in 2019) and am diabetic 1 (I was actually diagnosed with diabetes 1 during first lockdown and put on Metformin medication) I am overweight and I am guessing by my postcode I am seen as living in a deprived area! I don’t however see myself as deprived! ? Granted I don’t live in the countryside or a small village and I live within the heart of busy London (the concrete jungle lol ). I am puzzled as to why now I have been placed on this list when since the beginning of this pandemic I have managed to survive. I do bits of shopping also for my 89 year old mum who has mild dementia but who is otherwise good for her age. It states I cannot go out to do shopping or collect my medication for my heart & Diabetes etc. Has anyone else suddenly been added to this shielding list after all this time. You also get added to this list regardless whether you have had the vaccinations or not.

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 12:38:03

It’s because, as time has gone on, it’s become apparent who is most vunerable, to both catching the virus (high infection areas, close housing etc) and to hospitalisation and death.

I’m afraid you tick the boxes in several categories, so it’s sensible for you to be told that you have a higher risk than other members of the population. Then you can make an informed decision about what you do, knowing your risk is high.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 12:39:20

Maybe they think you are having wild parties Anneishere grin
I would just carry on being as sensible as you are being. I suspect some of the list is just precautionary as some people your age will still be in employment. If you are on the shielding list the chemist will deliver to you and I would get a shopping delivery if you can. I have found iceland quite good for slots and value too if I have ran short of things.

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 13:57:15

Anneishere, you are one of many. The government announced recently that following statistical analysis of those who got COVID and had it seriously and died, they now had a clear profile of those most t risk and that letters were being sent out to all those who matched the profile but who had previously not been included on shielded lists. You are obviously one of them.

They have done something similar with vaccination profiles. DS was disconcerted to be given an appointment for the vaccine. He is not yet 50 and thinks of himself as fit and healthy. Unfortunately there is a genetic inheritance in his father's family of early onset of high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes, even though he is not overweight, and because he has those two problems, he qualifies for the vaccine.

He had no qualms, he had it, and as his wife qualifies for it as an NHS worker, we are feeling much safer when families can again get together, that all adults will have been vaccinated.

keepingquiet Sun 28-Feb-21 14:05:48

I think you should have been shielding before but, as Peasblossom said there is more info about people who have been vulnerable all along but specific data wasn't available then. In the very early days a lot of guesswork was involved.
Shielding is a recommendation not a law, if you want to carry on as you have been that is your choice.
I am slightly confused as to why you have had two vaccines already though.

NotAGran55 Sun 28-Feb-21 14:13:07

This is the second thread today that you have started on this subject ?

Lots of good responses on both of them .

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 14:16:58

from much the same people!

growstuff Sun 28-Feb-21 14:27:05

Anneishere I'm diabetic and have a stent after a heart attack. However, I'm not overweight, don't have heart disease (despite the heart attack), am slightly younger than you and don't live in an area with a high incidence rate. I haven't received a letter asking me to shield.

However, I did a calculation using an official tool and I scored 88. That means only 12% of people are more likely to die from Covid than I am. My guess is that you've scored slightly higher than I did in a number of risk categories and have gone over whatever threshold is being used.

growstuff Sun 28-Feb-21 14:30:37

MOnica That's weird and must depend on the GP. I had early onset T2 diabetes and would have high BP, if I didn't do everything I can to keep it down, but I was never made a priority for vaccination on health grounds.

M0nica Sun 28-Feb-21 14:37:18

growstuff that is what he was told, when he queried it. he works hard to keep himself safe. having seen what has happened in the last few months to his father, who has the same problems, and has not looked after himself (heart attack, triple bypass and complications), DS has got his weight right down, eats as approved and does a lot of running, but he is on medication despite all that.

welbeck Sun 28-Feb-21 14:43:43

there was some consternation on MN, re numbers of younger women being pt forward for the vaccination.
the common factor seemed to be having ever been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
it's up to you how much you shield go to the bother, ? poss risk, of going to chemist, when you can have prescriptions delivered. anyone can, look up pharmacy2u.

growstuff Sun 28-Feb-21 14:51:20

I had gestational diabetes too wellbeck but I was never put on the shielding list. It was probably gestational diabetes which triggered full-blown T2 diabetes, although there wasn't that much knowledge about diabetes 30 years ago.

I must admit that I'm not that bothered. I might as well be shielding anyway and I've had my vaccination now, but I just wonder what's going on.

Nannan2 Sun 28-Feb-21 14:51:41

I would imagine its because of your 'medical' reasons- my son was to be added to it, recommended by his neurologist, back in december 2020, but by then he said they had 'closed the list'- i presume as they had begun the covid vaccine wheel out- but then i saw they were to add another 1.7 million to the shielding list in february, i rang to ask secretary (of his neurologist) if he was going to get hospital trust to still add my son.Im still waiting to hear from him as he was not in hosp till this wk, but in meantime my son has had his first vaccine(along with his brother, also a neuro patient) and me,as ive a few medical problems, but i also a got letter from NHS, saturday- (after getting jab friday) offering me it as 'a carer for 'someone on clinically vulnerable list' - so I'm hoping maybe he's been added to it but that I've not yet heard officially. Don't worry about it too much, Anneishere, look on it as a GOOD thing.?

Nannan2 Sun 28-Feb-21 15:01:28

Yes i think it depends on your medical team, my son has neuro problem but also severe asthma, and a couple of other problems, gastro etc.and his neurologist wrote to our g.p saying he was recommending him to be added to shielding list to the hospital trust.But his brother not so. But our g.p's surgery have got to stage in vaccinating where everyone between 16-64 with underlying medical conditions are being vaccinated.So they rang me up.

Nannan2 Sun 28-Feb-21 15:03:18

Either way we have only gone out for medical appts that can't be done on phone or online.

Nannan2 Sun 28-Feb-21 15:10:10

Keepingquiet- OP never said she had already had 2 vaccines already, but that she had ONE, and is due a second in APRIL, just as we were told on friday, we had first jab, then told next is in 12 wks, and they will ring us again.My cleaner, (has a medic condition) had her first beginning feb,) nxt one near end april same.