Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

200,000 NHS staff refused vaccine

(31 Posts)
farview Sat 06-Mar-21 15:29:23

Why are these NHS staff not willing to be vaccinated?

grannysyb Sun 07-Mar-21 19:56:55

My DD was vaccinated on Friday, Oxford AstraZeneca, had a bad night on Friday, but still willing to have her second jab. In today's papers, there is an article about an Asian doctor who has been ringing his patients, and convincing them to have the jab, he has good results, we need more like him.

sazz1 Sun 07-Mar-21 19:07:40

Perhaps it's because some people have had side effects and that's worried them.

JenniferEccles Sat 06-Mar-21 19:28:28

I think it should definitely be a condition of employment unless an individual has a valid medical reason why they shouldn’t have the vaccine.

It’s very demoralising to think that the high number refusing could jeopardise the whole programme.

We have to accept that take up will never be 100% but when a large number of those are caring for sick vulnerable people it’s just not acceptable.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Mar-21 19:02:44

This is another subject that can’t be debated in a reasonable/ answered way without the R word rearing it’s ugly head.
All I will say is: all the ‘experts’ know why.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Mar-21 18:53:39

I do know when I worked in the NHS the uptake for the annual flu vaccine wasn’t very good

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 18:36:25

Baggs said I had to register, apologies for terminology.

Amberone Sat 06-Mar-21 18:30:33

This is a link (if it works!) to similar piece in Telegraph for 28 Feb
Almost a quarter of NHS staff in some parts of the country are refusing Covid jabs, with official statistics showing more than 200,000 health and care workers putting patients at risk.

NHS figures show that 91 percent of front line healthcare staff across the country have taken up the offer of a vaccine, but that dips to 76 per cent in London – the worst refusal rate.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/28/quarter-nhs-staff-areas-refusing-covid-vaccines/

It's not very clear to me how many of the unvaccinated are actually refusing as opposed to not yet been vaccinated for some reason

welbeck Sat 06-Mar-21 18:16:33

i think new employees certainly should be required to have it.

welbeck Sat 06-Mar-21 18:16:05

BlueSky

If it’s true it’s hard to believe. You would be first in the queue if you worked in hospital or care home to protect yourself and your family!

i don't find it hard to believe.
i know of many esp care-workers who don't want the vaccine.
not surprising as vast majority of care-workers are of african or asian origin, and those are the groups most suspicious or at least wary of it.
complex reasons as to why.

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 18:14:48

From Sunday Times article:

About 97per cent of frontline NHS staff have been vaccinated in the northeast, compared with 76per cent in London

There are 1,158,300 frontline NHS workers in England, but only 1,051,876 employees across all types of NHS work have had a first dose, according to health service statistics. Among care staff the problem is worse, with only 322,534 of 444,200 care home workers getting the jab. London has by far the worst vaccination uptake levels in the country among health and social care staff.

Overall, 91 per cent of frontline NHS staff and 72 per cent of care home workers have had a first dose. These figures mask considerable regional variations

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 18:10:40

Gauardian stuff isn't usually beyond a paywall.

BlueSky Sat 06-Mar-21 18:04:38

If it’s true it’s hard to believe. You would be first in the queue if you worked in hospital or care home to protect yourself and your family!

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 17:54:30

Thanks Jaxjacky I’ve found it now, the Guardian doesn’t have a paywall so I’ve posted that article:
www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/28/a-fifth-of-healthcare-workers-in-england-have-still-not-received-first-covid-jab
It is only for England, and a bit out of date now, the figure in Wales today is 87.4% for healthcare staff. I also saw that they are investigating options to make vaccination compulsory for frontline staff.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 17:46:39

Pay wall!!

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 17:46:24

Casdon Sunday Times and Guardian 28/2/21, both behind pat wall, so I can’t read the articles.

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 17:31:39

I can’t find a reliable source for this information, only a report giving projected figures about health and care workers taken from a study, could you post the source document farview, as without that it’s difficult to comment?

The figures for both groups of staff in Wales is reported daily on the Public Health Wales tableau, is that available for England as well?

Urmstongran Sat 06-Mar-21 16:49:36

No wonder it’s so easy to catch covid in hospital.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 16:46:36

been vaccinated

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 16:45:36

Will we have to now ask nursing staff if they've been vaccinated before any sort of procedures begin on those of us who've vaccinated ?

farview Sat 06-Mar-21 16:40:48

I dont have any links Blossoming I just heard it on the news earlier...

Missfoodlove Sat 06-Mar-21 16:39:58

Our local health trust gives staff half a day off if they agree to the flu vaccine.

Seems they don’t all practice what they preach.

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 16:35:43

I have regular chemotherapy and am surprised at the number of nurses who say they haven’t had the vaccine. I don’t ask why, not my business.

AGAA4 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:33:59

My daughter is a nurse and most of the staff in that hospital have been vaccinated. The doctors and nurses are 'strongly urged' to have all the required vaccines.
I wonder who the staff are who are refusing the vaccine.? 200,000 sound a lot to me.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 16:26:27

It should say ‘NHS and Care Home Workers’. It’s not clear from the reports I’ve wether they have all refused, or wether it hasn’t yet been offered. Does anybody have any links to the source of these headlines?

Calendargirl Sat 06-Mar-21 16:20:37

My niece started student nurse training in the early 90’s, a hepatitis vaccine was compulsory.