Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Thinking of going out

(80 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 08-Mar-21 15:57:03

On the basis that I've had the vaccine, the supermarket and garden centre are open. Haven't actually bee in a supermarket for a year and the garden centre since September. I'm really thinking that I've had enough now.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 23:01:38

yes, that is worrying.

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 22:57:51

We’re more than four times that MOnica ? and rising.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 20:54:30

In my area the incidence of COVID is 35 in 100,000, with just 48 cases last week. Vaccinated and taking care, you would have to work very very hard to to catch the virus, especially as the majority of the population live in the local city and we live in the rural hinterland.

MTDancer Wed 10-Mar-21 14:51:03

I have not been vaccinated as our doctors are waiting for vaccine. I'm 62
I try to go to local co-op as little as possible. About once a week. Been to a supermarket on Wednesday last week for the first time since November.
I only go out if I need to, not just because I want to.
I would like to go for a big shop at Costco but it's 60 miles away, so seems too far in a lockdown.

growstuff Wed 10-Mar-21 14:48:42

I agree with you Peasblossom. We are a very divided nation.

Even if you are vaccinated, the chances that the people around you are infected is much higher. If people in your area are tending not to be vaccinated, there's a higher risk that somebody could infect you. IMO you are being sensible by being cautious.

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 14:10:01

sort of

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 14:09:46

I do set of know that MOnica, but I can’t feel it, if you understand what I mean.

I suppose I’ll take the plunge when something I really want to do is open. It’s not a trip round Sainsbury ?

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 13:54:24

Peasblossom where ever you are, if you are vaccinated you will be protected and if you plan carefully where and when you go , you should be alright.

Most of those saying 'just get on with it', and I am one are doing it with thought and care; still well protected by masks gloves and distancing, choosing the quieter times to shop and avoiding crowded places and public transport.

Peasblossom Wed 10-Mar-21 13:27:19

I really think your confidence will depend on your experiences and where you live.

I’m in an area that has always been in lockdown. Even in the Summer when people were getting out and about in other parts of the country, we had local lockdown and were advised to stay at home.

Ambulances heading off to the hospital were an almost constant sight, one after another. My neighbour died. All of my local family caught Covid.

Now we have the vaccine but I am in an area where many are refusing it. We are still a hotspot and this week cases rose again.

I can’t help but think that the “just get on with it comments” come from areas different to mine.

muse Wed 10-Mar-21 11:16:38

I'm at a loss to read comments that some still can't get supermarkets deliveries.

I found it very difficult a year ago but by the end of April it was quite easy and I get a regularly one now. Have done since last October. I'm carrying on with it even though I do get out. Opticians, vets, DIY stores, fishmonger and pasty shop. Supermarket delivery is saving me money! It's keeping a lot of drivers in work too.

Do as others are saying Daisymae. Go out early with your mask and enjoy a browse around the garden centre. Good time to buy your seeds and bulbs flowers

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 10:02:17

MaggsMcG what a terrible thing to happen, particularly when you had protected your DH so well.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for hospitals to be infection free no matter how hard they try.

In November my DH went into hospital for a heart procedure that should have had him out and home within a week. Unfortunately he developed, what his notes call a 'hospital acquired' infection, not COVID. 1 week in hospital became 8, one operation became four. Without the infection he should have been entirely back to normal by now. His operation a distant memory. As it is, he is still far from well, and unable to risk going outside because the cold air causes lung spasms.

My DH has survived, where, tragically, yours has died, and you must feel bitter, but hospitals are hot beds of infection, and despite all their measures they cannot be 100% infection free.

GreenGran78 Wed 10-Mar-21 00:37:29

For the sake of my sanity I have been doing a weekly supermarket shop right from the beginning, and going out for regular walks. I observe the precautions, and choose quiet times to shop, and have never felt any worries about doing so, and I am 81. I can’t understand why people who aren’t vulnerable have kept themselves locked away for so long. It’s not sensible or healthy for body or mind.
There is an old saying about having nothing to fear, but fear itself. I feel that many people have become trapped in their homes by an exaggerated fear of contracting Covid. Even if you wait until you have had your first jab, surely it’s time to venture out and begin living again.

Nana3 Wed 10-Mar-21 00:27:40

MaggsMcG sending condolences for your loss, so very sorry flowers

Legs55 Tue 09-Mar-21 23:45:28

My life has carried on through the lockdowns as I've been doing my normal once/twice a month large supermarket shop & used local Co-op, Butcher & Greengrocer for my top up shopping.

I was in Hospital in January for 11 days with Cellulitis, before I was discharged 2 people on the Ward tested positive for Covid, we were tested every 3 days. I then had to self isolate for 14 days with District Nurses coming in to change my dressings. I now attend my GP Surgery 3 days a week, unfortunately I can't always do my shopping at the same time so I can be out another couple of days per week. I also have to attend my local Hospital every 2 weeks for Podiatry.

I received an email followed by a letter to tell me I am classified as vulnerable & advised to stay at home apart from medical appointments, the letter does state this is advice not law & to follow guidelines if you choose to go out shopping etc. Nothing has changed with my health since the 1st lockdown so I have continued to live my life as before, mask, distance, sanitizer & hand washing

I refuse to be scared into staying shut up at home, I believe we have to learn to live with this virus now we have the vaccine. I had my 1st Covid jab on 12th February, as I'm classified as vulnerable (Type 2 Diabetic) 65 years old widow so I have to do my own shopping, no chance of supermarket deliveries. I am in a bubble with my DD & her family, I see them every couple of weeks, oldest DGS has gone back to School & youngest DGS has been going to Nursery throughout.

MayBee70 Tue 09-Mar-21 21:33:41

Nanna58

MayBee70; the infection rate in Israel probably did go up, but the vaccine should have protected those people from serious harm. The infection rate of flu goes up each winter , but we have our jab and carry on. We need to start o get our heads round the fact that life needs to ( slowly) open up again.

It went up initially because people were dropping their guard as soon as they had the vaccine, assuming that they were protected immediately. Even in the U.K. it said on the news that some over 80’s started visiting people as soon as they were vaccinated. All I’m saying is that we’ve lived like this for a year and all we need to do is wait several weeks after having the vaccine before we do more things. And even then stick with hands face space ventilate whenever possible.

growstuff Tue 09-Mar-21 19:28:51

The problem with the flu jab is that there are a number of variants circulating at any one time and efficacy depends whether scientists work out which ones will be most prevalent. The jab is has very high efficacy against the variants against which the variant is intended, but it's difficult to get it right.

Moreover, Covid-19 is more contagious and deadly than most forms of influenza. It's not really relevant to compare the two.

M0nica Tue 09-Mar-21 18:57:10

*StaenIsland. The Pfizer jab gives 90% protection after the first jab, the second jab takes it up to 90%.

This is considerably better than the flu jab which has only 40-60% efficacy.

Elvis as far as I can see the change of definitions is only that, a change of descriptions, the people being counted are the same group of people. The change was a clarification not a complete moving of the count to to an entirely different basis. In any collection of statistics there will be minor anomalies and errors., but none of this fuzziness makes a major difference to the trend and trajectory of deaths and infections being recorded.

Nanna58 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:53:25

MayBee70; the infection rate in Israel probably did go up, but the vaccine should have protected those people from serious harm. The infection rate of flu goes up each winter , but we have our jab and carry on. We need to start o get our heads round the fact that life needs to ( slowly) open up again.

Elvis58 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:19:48

Sorry but life goes on this governments project fear has worked a treat.l see they have changed wording on the news it was always the total who have died,in small writing it would say have died in last 24 hours who tested positive for covid 19 in the last 28 days.
Now it says who have died of any reason, that tested positive for covid in the last 28 days which is what it should have always read.Frightening the bejesus out of people.Thus inflating the actual figure that have died of covid 19.
Wear your mask,keep your distance, use hand gel and enjoy life.Doris has already stolen a year of it!!!

GagaJo Tue 09-Mar-21 16:13:29

At least though, MayBee70, you have the reassurance that if you DO get it, you need not fear a fatal dose. Not that any of us want to catch it, but...

MayBee70 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:11:16

The infection rate in Israel went up because people started behaving more normally when they’d been vaccinated. That’s why I’m going to wait 35 days before I consider going anywhere. I’ve also noticed, now that more people are using buses that some bus drivers don’t seem to be wearing a mask which worries me.

StatenIsland Tue 09-Mar-21 15:20:34

@ harmonypuss

My post was partly in response to a previous poster who said that everyone she or he she knows over the age of 60 has been vaccinated. I was making the point that some people over 60 are still waiting for their first dose. The earliest I can have mine is 31 March.

Reports of how effective the vaccines are vary depending on which source you read and believe.

The NHS’s own website states:

The 1st dose of the COVID-19 vaccine should give you good protection from coronavirus. But you need to have the 2 doses of the vaccine to give you longer lasting protection. There is a chance you might still get or spread coronavirus even if you have the vaccine.

No mention of 81% of any other number.

Children have returned to school today and one person can now meet one other person from outside their household for recreation as well as exercise. All other lockdown restrictions still apply.

It remains against the law to leave or be outside your home except for legally permittted reasons including essential activities like buying food and medicine or accessing services that remain open.

Another poster has described visiting her small town and said it was like a carnival with (amongst other things) busy cafes and groups of cyclists.

I’ve just returned home from my daily solo walk around the block and encountered a large group of ramblers. I gave another solo walker a wide berth and she called out that it wasn’t necessary to avoid her as she’s had both jabs.

What is going on? Am I missing something? People under 60 have only just been invited to book their first vaccination. The majority of the working population have no protection other than their own immune systems.

I really do worry that people are letting their guard down before it’s safer to do so.

LuckyFour Tue 09-Mar-21 15:12:52

I've been supermarket shopping every two weeks almost since the pandemic started. I go to Sainsburys on a Tuesday morning as early as I can and find it fairly quiet. Everyone wears a mask, there's plenty of space, people keep their distance and the queues at the checkouts are usually short and well spaced out. There's always sanitizer at the entrance. I've always found it very sensible and civilised.

Greciangirl Tue 09-Mar-21 15:07:07

Please do go out. The longer you stay inside, the more paranoid you will become.

I have been to Boots today to get my specs repaired. I must admit I still feel a little nervous around people, but I’m getting better all the time.
I also haven’t been inside a large supermarket since last March. But I do pop into our local co-op for bits and the rest we do click and collect. So easy to do that and virtually contactless.
Also, as others have said, if you’re not shielding, then why don’t you go out.?

Harmonypuss Tue 09-Mar-21 13:42:56

@StatenIsland .... you say that one dose of the vaccine only gives 'partial protection' .....

No dose gives NO protection
One dose gives a minimum of 81% protection

A second dose 'tops up' the initial dose but no-one has said that the top up gives 100% protection, as yet, we don't have a %age on the second dose.

Regardless of which vaccine you have, even a single dose is FAR SAFER THAN NOT HAVING IT