Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Has anyone heard of the possibility that there may not be enough vaccine for getting 2nd doses within 12 weeks

(125 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 15:49:03

I've just had someone mention this on social media. I can't find any information beyond this:

Oliver Dowden, the UK’s secretary of state for culture, has claimed the government is confident it won’t run out of the Covid-19 vaccine doses needed to give Brits their second jab, despite delivery delays.

www.rt.com/uk/519428-vaccine-minister-second-doses/

And I can't say I have much confidence in what government ministers say.

JustMe Sun 28-Mar-21 17:34:19

suziewoozie

Just there are lots of us in your situation - I think certainly the vast majority of those vaccinated at GP hubs. They are using a different system from the mass hubs which booked both and used the central,system.

Thanks for that, I did wonder and really didn't want to bother the Docs to ask.
My DH had AZ and has his booked.

suziewoozie Sun 28-Mar-21 17:36:49

Wales sound well organised.

Casdon Sun 28-Mar-21 17:48:18

I do think Wales is well organised with the vaccine programme suziewoosie, Public Health Wales have done a sterling job, and they have also managed the test and trace programme in house with the councils, that’s also working really well.

Pantglas2 Sun 28-Mar-21 17:58:54

Credit where it’s due, Public Health Wales have got their act together after the initial reluctance to release supplies in case they ran out and staff were standing around!

As JVT said, jabs need to be in people not in freezers or fridges!

M0nica Sun 28-Mar-21 18:08:07

Considering how well this government has run the vaccine programme from start, investing in the research, ordering millions of doses of vaccines even before they were fully proved, and in the way it is runing the actual vaccination programme. I have confidence that second jabs will go ahead as planned.

I am not a supporter of this government. Other aspects of managing the pandemic have been disastrous. But I beleive in credit where it is due, whether I share their political beliefs or not.

Similarly, I voted to remain in Europe, but I have no hesitation is saying that its management of the vaccination programs, both nationally and within the Community has been abysmal and the way it has used Brexit and our effective programm as a cover for their mistakes, has been demeaning to them.

JustMe Sun 28-Mar-21 18:27:20

I agree. I think there were so many things done wrong maybe last year, that if they'd mucked up the vaccination program here it would have affectd the Govt very badly.

Kudos to all the NHS staff administering the jabs, and the thousands of volunteers at the vaccine centre (my DD is one!)
Without them we would not be so far ahead I don't think.

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 18:30:50

janeainsworth

Do you trust rt.com as a source of information. Maizie?

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/26/russia-disinformation-rt-nuanced-online-ofcom-fine

Another pointless snipe, I think.

No, I don't particularly trust RT any more than I trust government ministers. It was the only site that came up when I searched.

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 18:38:34

I started this thread as I am reasonably concerned about the second doses and the apparent shortage of the AZ vaccine because of the delay in the expected delivery from India. I'm still not happy about the 12 week dosage interval and was wondering if the shortage might mean an extension of the interval. I've about another 5 weeks to go (max) before my 2nd.

Thanks to those of you who have answered my query grin

sharon103 Sun 28-Mar-21 18:38:38

A good post and I agree M0nica Sun 28-Mar-21 18:08:07

BlueSky Sun 28-Mar-21 18:42:45

The main hurdle was getting the first dose, don’t they say you have a good coverage even with that alone? Anyway not letting down the guard for a long time yet. So not concerned.

Casdon Sun 28-Mar-21 18:46:42

There’s no shortage of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for second doses MaizieD, because our manufacturing capacity in the UK is more than enough for the second doses, the supply from India was intended to kickstart the under 50s programme at the same time as giving second vaccines. It looks like the first delivery of Moderna will now be used to start the under 50s.

JustMe Sun 28-Mar-21 18:53:42

Could I just pass on a bit I know too....

Novovax will be coming soon also. My DD was part of the human trial so she hears what's going on.

Also what is really encouraging... my DH and I are part of the Office of Natl Statistics trials and have been since November last year.
We have covid and blood tests.
At the last blood test, it showed antibodies for my DH when the results came through which was so exciting. That was just over 3 weeks since he was jabbed.
We have just had another one and I expect to see the same for me too (I had my vaccination later than him)

NfkDumpling Sun 28-Mar-21 18:55:03

AGAA4

I've noticed that people who had the Pfizer vaccine seem to get the second dose earlier than those who had AZ.
This may just be a coincidence.

We're in Norfolk and had the Pfizer vaccine. At the same time an appointment was made for the same time, same place, exactly twelve weeks later. So we should have our second doses in three weeks time. Fingers crossed!

foxie48 Sun 28-Mar-21 19:00:56

My second one is booked for mid April, I am only going to start to worry if that gets cancelled and then it will only be a minor worry.

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Mar-21 19:13:24

I understand that those of us in England who had our first jab at our GPs can opt to go online and book our second at a hub. I tried the system yesterday, entered my NHS number and was offered appointments for 1 May at five local hubs. This would be 11 weeks from when I had my first vaccine, so the system seems to be recognising that I’ve had one, and when I need the second. I’m going to wait till my surgery contacts me, but it’s good to know there’s a back up there.

Mamardoit Sun 28-Mar-21 19:23:54

Jaxjacky

I don’t really see the point of posting ‘something mentioned on social media’ then a link to a government statement saying the opposite. And I get that you don’t have much confidence in the government.
On the other hand, 30 million first doses have now been given, 57% of the adult population.

I agree with this.

rosie1959 Sun 28-Mar-21 19:49:27

Perhaps there is more vacinne about than the powers that be let on my son and several of his friends were called this weekend mid 30s no underlying conditions
I was please as he has to be out and about working not staying safe at home

MaizieD Sun 28-Mar-21 20:01:30

Mamardoit

Jaxjacky

I don’t really see the point of posting ‘something mentioned on social media’ then a link to a government statement saying the opposite. And I get that you don’t have much confidence in the government.
On the other hand, 30 million first doses have now been given, 57% of the adult population.

I agree with this.

Goodness, that's the third pointless post. shock

janeainsworth Sun 28-Mar-21 21:06:28

Another pointless snipe, I think

It was a genuine question actually.
But carry on with your spitefulness, MaizieD.

annsixty Sun 28-Mar-21 21:21:31

Many people from different surgeries from me but same village were given dates for both vaccines at the outset.
I was told I would be contacted as and when.
It will be 10 weeks on Tuesday since my first which was Pfizer.
I await my call and will keep in touch if it happens or not.

LauraNorder Sun 28-Mar-21 21:22:49

Can I make that four.
Could count as pointless scaremongering.

JenniferEccles Sun 28-Mar-21 22:34:42

We have been assured that our second jabs have been given priority all along and that the supplies are already in place.

It has also been said that the second doses will soon take over from first, hence the over forties now having to wait until May for theirs.

There is also talk about ramping up our own manufacturing of the Astra Zeneca vaccine here to enable us to eventually be totally independent of the EU who, instead of trying to sort out their own shambolic, pitiful vaccine rollout are pathetically trying to jeopardise ours.

Daisymae Sun 28-Mar-21 22:36:25

Here people in their 40s are having their 1st vaccines now. I also know if a few having their 2nd 11 weeks on. So it does seem to be happening. Ours are due by the end of April. I will chase up nearer the date if I don't hear

Nandalot Sun 28-Mar-21 22:40:53

We have an appointment mid April for second dose. (Pfizer). DD, in her forties, is having her first dose on Weds.

cornergran Sun 28-Mar-21 22:50:35

Mr C will have his second Pfizer jab on Tuesday, 10 weeks after the first. When the surgery phoned to arrange it I was told if I also had Pfizer I could have the second jab at the same time no matter the date of the first. Mine was AZ two weeks after Mr C’s, surgery caller assured me my second would be in a week or two. Our well organised surgery hub has been vaccinating people in their 40’s, there seems to be regional variation, we’re in the South West, but it seems likely people everywhere will get their second vaccination when or before it’s due.