Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

First non essential shop visit

(155 Posts)
gillyknits Mon 05-Apr-21 12:35:53

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Which non essential shop will you visit first after 12 April.?
I can’t make up my mind whether to go to Dunelm or M&S.

grannybuy Tue 06-Apr-21 17:28:30

My local John Lewis is one of those that aren't reopening. There has been a public outcry and petition, but I can't really see John Lewis being persuaded to remain. No one can prove to them that more people will start visiting the shop, and, of course, buying. It wasn't ' used ' enough, so has been lost.
I would rather go to shops than buy online. I have an Oliver Bonas gift voucher, so may well go there first, followed by Waterstones as I also have a book token. We are all keen to get to cafes, pubs and restaurants, but it feels mean to ignore the shops.

Lillie Tue 06-Apr-21 17:34:06

I ordered a bag of stuff in the sale from Joules this week. No doubt some of it will be returned but as we have a branch locally I will pop in there.

GreenGran78 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:40:40

I stocked up on wool just before lockdown, and my needles have been clicking away merrily ever since. I now have a pile of finished garments all waiting for buttons, so my local craft shop will receive one of my early visits.
I also can’t wait to have my hair trimmed. It’s falling over my eyes, and is very annoying.

mrscake1 Tue 06-Apr-21 17:50:27

Walking shoe shop as can't buy them online. Can't wait.

Aepgirl Tue 06-Apr-21 18:02:17

I’m in no rush to go to retail shops - I don’t want to scupper all the lockdown by mixing with dozens of people who forget social distancing.
However, I have my hair appointment fixed (only 2 allowed in the salon), and having my eyebrows waxed and tinted, and my top lip and chin defuzzed.

Happysexagenarian Tue 06-Apr-21 18:08:42

My favourite shoe shop (a small independent shop), if they are still in business of course! I bought shoes online during the lockdowns but two pairs are so uncomfortable now I can't wear them.

Saxon17 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:40:53

John Lewis, I have missed going there!

Sarnia Tue 06-Apr-21 18:45:13

The British Heart Foundation charity shop in a town near me. We can hardly move for bags for them. I know that technically they are not essential but I wondered if Boris could have given them the go-ahead to keep open. Their respective charities must have lost so much money.

maureen118 Tue 06-Apr-21 19:49:24

bravissimo, tkmaxx and homesense
but not killing myself on time to do too quickly!

shirleyhick Tue 06-Apr-21 20:46:08

Dunelm as it is on a retail park and is well spaced out the other shops are in the town centre so there is no way I will be going there as it will be far to busy I think I will stick to buying what I want off line

Aptera Tue 06-Apr-21 21:24:39

Eyebrows! One of them has turned white (nearly!) and both look like hairy caterpillars.

Pammie1 Tue 06-Apr-21 21:42:58

Definitely the hairdressers, and the dog groomers to get pooch’s nails manicured !!

Froglady Tue 06-Apr-21 22:31:21

rowyn

I belong to Freecycle, which has groups all over the country, I believe. When you have an item that you no longer need and are happy to give away you can post it online. I tend to post things which are perhaps too large/awkward for me to take to a charity shop.

I belong to Freecycle as well and find new homes for a lot of things - better than them going to landfill.

Rosiebee Wed 07-Apr-21 08:40:39

I do two voluntary sessions a week at our local charity bookshop and can't wait to go back. Really enjoy being there. I also have a list of books to look out for. After last lockdown we had to accept donations only on an appointment basis as we have limited storage and had to quarantine everything. So it might be worth ringing up a charity shop before taking donations in. The shop I can't wait to get back to is Black Sheep Wools near Warrington. I've bought yarn online from them but it's almost impossible to judge colours and textures. My favourite shop.

Keffie12 Wed 07-Apr-21 13:31:17

My hairdressers and my overdue yearly top up cosmetic eyebrow tattooist are both booked in for next week I am very pleased to say

Lewie Wed 07-Apr-21 18:36:24

Dunelm followed closely by Ikea. My hairdresser is coming here on Monday - thank heavens!

MerylStreep Wed 07-Apr-21 18:48:24

Rosiebee
Opening up after the first lockdown cost our charity shop money. On top of restricting customers into the shop, we had so many donations we had to dump donations as it was unsafe to work.
Unfortunately I have a manger who just can’t say NO to anything.

Franbern Fri 09-Apr-21 08:43:54

I had assumded that for me it would be a visit to a hairdresser. However, I have been trying to find a suitable riser/recliner armchair for myself. Have had a couple (very expensive ones) wbo do home visits, etc. But, next week, I can actually go to look at some in shops that sell mobility aids

loopyloo Fri 09-Apr-21 09:24:49

The Oxfam book Shop!

Trisha57 Fri 09-Apr-21 09:35:40

Sewing machine repair shop - my super duper machine packed up after 17 months (manufacturer won't repair under guarantee as I bought it online!) and I am bereft! I've been using a 38 year old Jones machine in the meantime but that has just stopped working as well......sad

Franbern Fri 09-Apr-21 16:24:31

Rosiebee, whenever I visit my son and DiL in Warrington I schedule in a good long trip to Black Sheep. Wonderful place.

Curlygirl Fri 09-Apr-21 18:18:33

Hairdressers!!! Haberdashery Shops just to look at knitting wools and fabrics. Would have said our John Lewis at Home store but it has now been closed forever. Will really miss it as often popped in to browse at the China, towels and bed linen. I did also occasionally buy things! Best of all from Monday we can travel into Wales, only 30 minutes drive away, to visit our daughter and son in law and see the farmhouse they have bought!

helgawills Sun 11-Apr-21 10:47:26

Book shops, lots of vouchers to use.

Naesodaft Sun 11-Apr-21 11:09:41

Charity shops and TKMaxx. I love a good browse.

Twig14 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:35:06

Had to have online shopping because told must shield. Asda deliver my order every week. I pay £36 for 6 months weekly delivery. I look online n decide what’s required. My local butcher delivers meat. A fishmonger delivers fish and I’m really fortunate our milkman supplies milk, eggs n cream. I have missed going into M n S and purchasing certain food items. Other than that it’s been excellent n have been fortunate plus even supported local businesses.