Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

101 yrs not had 2nd jab - should we bother?

(37 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 10:11:30

This could be very controversial. An elderly lady I know of (age 101) had her first jab 13 weeks ago. GP dragging feet re second one saying they’ve run out of vaccine. Her family are up in arms but I’m looking on thinking ... she’s 101! Shouldn’t a younger person get priority? She could die any day just of old age. I know she has the same rights as everyone else but...??

Polarbear2 Sun 09-May-21 19:16:43

You know you’re right. Why should I let one ‘offended’ person stop me contributing. Thank you Calendargirl. X

Calendargirl Sun 09-May-21 14:27:41

Polarbear2

I didn’t think your OP was wrong, I could see where you were coming from. If there were a vaccine shortage, it makes sense for younger people to get it really, but that is upsetting to many on here.

Don’t leave, you can’t suit everyone .

Polarbear2 Sun 09-May-21 14:13:52

It was tongue in cheek. For gods sake can’t anybody be light here. I already accepted sackcloth and ashes for asking the original question. You know I joined GN to have chats, get support, have a laugh, general interest. Initially it was fine but I find it increasingly negative. Think it’s time I retired from here. Thank you to all who supported my recent trials. MOnica - thank you for applying the final straw. Hope you’re happy in your offended little world.

M0nica Sun 09-May-21 12:44:16

*You’re right! Wow. It’s such a big place I assumed it was a care home. Loadsa money

Am I alone in finding the last comment offensive, with its tone of jeering envy.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 10:02:30

13 weeks since first vaccine! This is disgraceful.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 09:58:46

The very elderly lady should of course be offered the vaccine , there are lots of vaccine refusers who are entitled to make that choice, I am sure they would give up their vaccine for her ! If she catches Covid she will possibly die a very uncomfortable death . She is alive and wearing her high heels - good for her .Life at any age is so precious . I hope her family are fighting for her right to be vaccinated.

Chardy Sun 09-May-21 07:53:07

CalendarGirl if they'd run out before me, I don't think I'd question who'd been in front of me.

Callistemon Sat 08-May-21 17:59:10

Of course she should.

I have a friend who is having trouble getting the GP to come to the house to give her DH his 2nd vaccine. We all told her to keep asking/insisting but apparently the surgery has to have several patients in the same small area before they will open a vial!
I hope he doesn't have to start the course again.

(I'd love to be able to wear high heels.)

Kim19 Sat 08-May-21 17:49:06

I think she should certainly have the second jab but it may be a little more difficult if the mountain has to go to Mohammed. However, presumably that's what happened for her first jab and the powers that be should have factored this in. Don't know. Also didn't know that first jab became totally ineffective after the twelve weeks. I feel that seconding people to the rubbish tip because of age is outrageous. If I have to die anyway, I'd certainly try to avoid the Covid method. Sounds harrowing and awful. I fully hope to plod on actively to the best age I can and sincerely hope not to be disregarded on age grounds alone. Sad attitude that.

BlueBelle Sat 08-May-21 17:48:26

I thought I read that Capt Tom walked round the care home gardens too polar and I know what you mean about the high heels my 95 year old cousin had her eyebrows tattooed on last year I couldn’t be bothered with that palava 20 years younger
??

Calendargirl Sat 08-May-21 17:42:34

Just to throw into the mix.

The GP says they have run out of vaccine.

So if you were told your surgery or vaccination centre had ‘run out’ when your second vaccination was due, would you be willing for the 101 year old to get their jab before you?

Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 17:34:53

Loislovesstewie

Capt Sir Tom lived with his daughter, I believe.

You’re right! Wow. It’s such a big place I assumed it was a care home. Loadsa money ?

Gannygangan Sat 08-May-21 16:47:22

Loislovesstewie

True, Captain Tom wasn't in a care home. He lived with his family.

The 101 year old lady should get the jab. It's her right. And she's certainly in the vulnerable group.

Loislovesstewie Sat 08-May-21 16:42:44

Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 16:35:45

Namsnanny

Capt sir Tom?

I guess it depends how much money you have. He looked like he lived in a very expensive care home. Beautiful house in beautiful gardens. Try being in a council care home and it’s a different experience. But that’s for another thread. Am sure the person I know will get sorted soon as her family are pulling all the stops out.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 15:18:36

My father lived to be 92 and enjoyed evry bit except the last three months. 2 of my aunts are in their late 90s and both are still enjoying their lives and living independentlyas did my father.

I look forward, quite unworried to my 101 birthday. After my daily walk I will drink a champagne cocktail and bask in the admiration of my extended family. I might even be a great grandmother by then.

25Avalon Sat 08-May-21 14:23:45

No point in her having the first jab if they aren’t going to do the second, which is a different formation, so she is not robbing anyone. Not only that should she contact Covid she hopefully will be protected enough not to die in a horrible way. Furthermore, the more of us who are vaccinated the better for defeating the virus. Research is showing having the vaccine could lower transmissions.

So yes she should have the second vaccine.

Fleur20 Sat 08-May-21 13:33:35

Dont go away Polarbear!! Different ideas, opinions and topics are what we come to Gransnet for!!
And we can all be crabbit sometimes!!blush

Namsnanny Sat 08-May-21 13:24:28

Capt sir Tom?

Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 13:09:07

Yep we’re all different. Sorry I think I’m in a prickly mood today. I’ll shut up and go away.

Elegran Sat 08-May-21 13:07:23

Not all centenarians feel that way. Some enjoy life right up to the line, despite their infirmities of (which floor many at a far younger people at a much less advanced age)

Old age is a number. Being tired of life can strike at any number, or never.

Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 12:19:59

God I hope I don’t live that long! I’ve seen 4 family members now live beyond 100 and it’s not pleasant. Extreme old age is not a happy place to be. ALL have said they wanted to die much earlier.

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 12:16:16

Yes, yes, yes, she should get the jab.

I think it is outrageous that someone should just dismiss the idea of proper medical for someone just because they are 101 and might die at any moment. It is the most blatant ageism, this lady could have 10 years of life ahead of her, which she enjoy.

If anyone tries to short change me in this way when I am 101, I will really tell them where to go and what to do to themselves.

Chardy Sat 08-May-21 11:29:27

We are all trying to beat this disease into submission by everyone being vaccinated

Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 11:16:12

Guess so. I stand corrected ?. I’ll go beat myself with a brush ??