Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Indian variant

(168 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 13-May-21 17:48:08

Getting a little concerned about the mood music that seems to be in the air regarding this variant. There are over 700 confirmed cases, it seems to spread 60% more rapidly. I notice that in some areas well over 50% of new cases are of this variant and SAGE are having an emergency meeting this afternoon to discuss. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water??

tidyskatemum Thu 13-May-21 20:39:29

A woman of Indian origin in Blackburn was blaming Boris for not stopping people from coming back from India. Does nobody have any sense of personal responsibility?

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 20:41:24

Sarnia

That's the risk the Government took when they gave travellers several days notice about flights from India and invited an Indian delegation to the G7 summit. Extremely risky and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Would that be the Indian delegates that tested positive for the virus by any chance? That didn’t even sneak in via Turkey but were invited here....

GrandmaKT Thu 13-May-21 20:45:48

I started a thread here on the 8th April when I noticed that New Zealand had suspended all flights from India asking why we weren't doing the same.
It took until the 23rd for India to be added to the red list (with lots of warnings beforehand letting people in). I am not surprised at all that the Indian variant is now looking 'concerning'!

PaperMonster Thu 13-May-21 20:54:44

The Over 18 vaccination programme in Blackburn has now been halted sadly.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-May-21 21:00:17

tidyskatemum

A woman of Indian origin in Blackburn was blaming Boris for not stopping people from coming back from India. Does nobody have any sense of personal responsibility?

Why is it relevant that the lady was of Indian origin?

Doodledog Thu 13-May-21 21:06:29

I was just about to say the same, Alegrias.

I don't know if tidyskatemum intended her post to come across as it did - a lot can get lost in translation when we post quickly - but it is very offensive.

Atqui Thu 13-May-21 21:33:04

Wasn’t Tidyskatemum just trying to say that some Indian people living in UK are in agreement with stopping their kin from entering the country instead of saying they haven’t seen their families for a year?( which someone used as a reason for relatives travelling to and from India)

Atqui Thu 13-May-21 21:33:55

May have misinterpreted it of course.

Doodledog Thu 13-May-21 21:36:10

I'd like to think so. It doesn't really read that way (to me), but as I say, it's so easy to accidentally say the wrong thing when typing in a hurry.

Alegrias1 Thu 13-May-21 21:41:44

Well maybe tidyskstemum will tell us. There's no obligation on her to do so of course, in which case we'll all have to make our own minds up.

Daisymae Thu 13-May-21 22:18:02

Rates here are low, but the percentage increase is worrying. Plus there's a high level of the Indian variant mixed in. Why were the government so slow to take the appropriate action with regards to travel restrictions? We are all familiar with the way this pans out.

MayBee70 Thu 13-May-21 22:36:32

It’s like Groundhog Day isn’t it.

EllanVannin Thu 13-May-21 22:39:02

I'm past caring now, as guidelines haven't been followed. I give up.

Bobbysgirl19 Thu 13-May-21 23:35:20

Flights coming in from India should definitely have been stopped earlier! What on earth is going on, don't we ever learn from our previous mistakes?

maddyone Thu 13-May-21 23:42:24

Sarnia

That's the risk the Government took when they gave travellers several days notice about flights from India and invited an Indian delegation to the G7 summit. Extremely risky and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Quite!

Daisymae Fri 14-May-21 07:28:55

So Monday in England thousands of venues including pubs will reopen. The vast percentage of young people turning up will have yet to be vaccinated. The Times today are leading with an article about bringing forward 10 million second vaccinations. Brewing up another perfect storm. You really don't need a crystal ball.

Daisymae Fri 14-May-21 07:29:33

Plus if course we can hug who we want.

Lin52 Fri 14-May-21 09:20:43

Absolutely, no travel, unless for freight, less people to chalk and quarantine. Personally I feel there has been no change to International travel, let all in seems to have been the go to. Even writing to my MP she said travels brings people together, yes along with the variants. Not good.

Lin52 Fri 14-May-21 09:21:19

Should say check, ?

Sago Fri 14-May-21 09:28:25

Why are you looking to be offended?
It is quite clear why tidyskatemum has used the lady’s nationality.
I avoid threads now where certain posters have commented as some of you are clearly looking for an argument.
It’s like being back at school.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 09:31:10

It is quite clear why tidyskatemum has used the lady’s nationality.

Is it? Can you tell us why? Is the lady responsible for everybody who happens to have the same background as she does?

Anyway, her nationality seems to be British....

donnab31 Fri 14-May-21 09:39:02

If the Indian variant was that dangerous, surely they would have closed the borders to India sooner?? Just because it spreads fast, doesn't make it more deadly or cause more hospital admissions. We were told from the very beginning that there would always be variants - it's the very nature of viruses that they mutate.
I've honestly stopped believing anything in the news now, other than that actual figures.
These show that for over a month now, the new cases sit at around 2000 a day and the new deaths sit at around 10-20.
The numbers have plateaued, they're not increasing and the deaths per day are below average for a normal year.
A large percentage of our country has now been vaccinated and the programme is ongoing.
We have allowed ourselves to be controlled very quickly because we're scared but this is setting a dangerous precedent and it scares me the way our country is going.

Doodledog Fri 14-May-21 09:44:44

Comments about ‘certain posters’ are very school-like. If you want to call someone on what they have said, please do so, instead of having sly digs?

I don’t know how to avoid threads where ‘certain posters have commented’ without reading the thread first. Am I missing something, as it would sometimes be handy, I suppose.

I don’t know if I am a ‘certain poster’, but I commented because to me it looked very like a racist remark. I was very careful to give the poster the benefit of any doubt, though, as I’m sure we have all posted things that we haven’t realised could be taken differently.

Doodledog Fri 14-May-21 09:52:09

My comment was to sago.

donnab32, I don’t know what to think about the virility of the Indian variant. I do think that assuming that this government would have closed the borders if the variant were dangerous is not borne out by experience of the way the pandemic has been handled so far, though.

On balance I think we should probably wait a bit longer to open everything up.

donnab31 Fri 14-May-21 10:02:54

I think if we wait much longer, there won't be a country left to open!
If everyone who wants the vaccine gets it, they are protecting themselves a great deal.
Those (mainly younger) who don't want the jab are at a much lower risk of serious infection anyway, the risk to young healthy children is virtually non-existent and all the vulnerable and older generations have been offered it already.
If anyone really is concerned about restaurants etc opening too soon, we all have the option to avoid them.
We also have the option of wearing masks and socially distancing at the moment, as well as working from home and not mixing socially.
It scares the hell out of me much more than the virus that having any options is potentially being eroded.
The governments handling of the whole thing has been a sh@*show but I do think it's time to get back to as normal as we can now before we have an even greater problem with mental health and poverty than we already do.