Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dominic Cummings

(613 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 26-May-21 10:42:09

Anyone watching live? Wow, just wow.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Jun-21 12:22:46

Would his bumbling still be accepted from this person?
twitter.com/yourfavisbald2/status/1205475225288228865?s=20

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Jun-21 12:18:03

No. I think Johnson would be way less popular bald.
I think we are overly obsessed with looks, and think many young men start shaving their heads as an alternative to losing hair gradually.

I know three young men who have started shaving their heads when they started developing a bald patch. Two of them have specifically told me that's why they did it.

lemongrove Tue 01-Jun-21 21:23:59

I don’t think that having hair/ not having any affects the character, persona.I think Johnson would be as popular if he was bald, in fact many young men are bald today ( he isn’t young obviously.) It’s fashionable now to shave off hair which has receded badly.
Looks do matter though, for those in the public eye.

Callistemon Tue 01-Jun-21 21:02:50

His father has more hair, Boris's is getting rather thin.

Iam64 Tue 01-Jun-21 19:01:09

MayBee70

I often think that, if Johnson had lost his hair he would never have become so popular. Can’t do a cheeky happy little boy impersonation with no hair. Course of U.K. might have been completely different. (Nothing against follically challenged men by the way).

There is definitely something about Johnson’s persona and the ruffled hair.
He also had the ability to make people laugh and warm to him. Terry Savalas was great as a bald Kojak, maybe Johnson could succeed without his hair. I see his (awful) father still has hair.
I’m rambling MayBee - Accepting he has a way but irritated by his politics, personal and professional

Greeneyedgirl Tue 01-Jun-21 15:39:44

I’m holding on for a bald female PM ?

MayBee70 Tue 01-Jun-21 15:10:53

Even joke hair like Trumps seems to be better than no hair. When it comes to politics that is.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 01-Jun-21 14:39:28

It’s a fact that a bald man has little chance of ever becoming Prime Minister since the dawn of the TV age. Just goes to show how important physical appearance is to the electorate.

FarNorth Tue 01-Jun-21 14:31:08

Why anyone wants to vote for a 'cheeky happy little boy' or even an easy-going Tim Nice-but-Dim as PM, anyway, I have no idea.

(Even if either of those things were true, which they aren't)

Talullah Tue 01-Jun-21 14:30:48

MayBee70

I often think that, if Johnson had lost his hair he would never have become so popular. Can’t do a cheeky happy little boy impersonation with no hair. Course of U.K. might have been completely different. (Nothing against follically challenged men by the way).

Interesting point, MayBee70. I think William Hague lost the battle to be PM due to his lack of hair. We definitely have changed as a society when it comes to expecting politicians to look a certain way. Not that Boris's hair is particularly attractive. I do think Wilf's hair looks rather sweet though.

Talullah Tue 01-Jun-21 14:28:48

Thank you, PippaZ!

MayBee70 Tue 01-Jun-21 14:00:49

GillT57 Tue 01-Jun-21 12:57:38

Meanwhile, Gove is lurking in the shadows as Cummings puts the knife in for his master. Too many people like Johnson, forgive him any of his many faults, metaphorically ruffle his hair and say " oh, he is doing his best". The problem that the Tories have is that Gove is repellent, even to the most devout Tory apologist. He is also a liar, but that is no longer a problem it would seem in this new Britain that I find myself living in.

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Jun-21 12:35:15

Pippa and Talullah - He is definitely a detail man.
I wonder if there's ^any^ subject BJ could talk about for 13 minutes without bumbling and repetition?

What would it be?

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 11:40:00

Back to Domonic Cummings. This is from an article in the Guardian on Saturday

This was the generation that rebuilt our country after the second world war. You don’t have to believe Dominic Cummings to see that what happened was a betrayal. Care homes and care workers were left exposed and unsupported.

We may never know whether Boris Johnson said Covid “was only killing 80-year-olds” when he delayed a second lockdown. What we do know is that the man charged with keeping them safe showed callous disregard for our elderly, as he overlooked the incompetence of his health secretary.

This isn’t just an argument about decisions taken (or not taken). It’s about leadership.

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 11:29:18

Talullah, you can can relive that moment here

I have to agree with the first comment below it.

Talullah Tue 01-Jun-21 10:56:20

I like Rory.

He did a marvellous speech in the House of Commons about my favourite wee beasts, hedgehogs.

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 10:53:50

Whatdayisit

Rory Stewart waa thrown out and if anyone would call Johnson a liar it would be him.

It would, but very politely and reasonably smile

MayBee70 Tue 01-Jun-21 10:41:01

I lose track of the events leading up to everything these days. I know Johnson did everything he could to undermine May. Strange that a party can oust someone like Rory Stewart but embrace the likes of Peter Bone and yet be hugely popular confused.

Whatdayisit Tue 01-Jun-21 09:34:55

They had the Conservative Party whip withdrawn and were brutallytold they wouldn't be allowed to serve as Conservative Party MPs and were left with no option to resign. Boris and Cummings even booted out Sir Winston's Grandson in their bloody coup.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 21:39:31

Whatdayisit

Rory Stewart waa thrown out and if anyone would call Johnson a liar it would be him.

He said he would never serve under Johnson as PM. And Anna Soubry told us what she thought of Johnson years ago.

varian Mon 31-May-21 20:24:41

Is there anyone who would honestly assert that Boris Johnson is not a liar?

No of course not. He has been caught out for lying many times and sacked at least twice for lying.

The problem is that, just like Trump, he always gets away with it because his sycophantic fans just don't care.

Remember Trump saying that he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot someone and they would still vote for him? That was one of the very few occasions when he told the truth.

Boris doesn't need to shoot anyone. He has, as Cummings reminded us, been responsible for many unnecessary deaths.

Whatdayisit Mon 31-May-21 20:15:59

JaneJudge Mon 31-May-21 19:47:15

Alistair Burt too

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 19:22:28

Just look at the decent Conservative MP’s that wouldn’t serve under him eg Rory Stewart and Anna Soubry. I doubt that Kenneth Clark wouldn’t have stayed had he not retired either. I don’t think that Dominic Grieve would have remained if he hadn’t been effectively thrown out. I’m disappointed that Tobias Elwood is so loyal to Johnson. I thought better of him.