Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid in Glasgow - what's the situation?

(89 Posts)
Sparklefizz Thu 27-May-21 09:23:08

Can any of our Scottish members shed light on the Covid situation in Glasgow please? A close relative has flown to Glasgow to spend a few days with a friend. I thought this wasn't allowed? She has not been vaccinated yet.

Rufus2 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:38:26

However, he promised me he would be good
Marydoll Of course he did! You also beseeched me not to be booooring! grin
So how does one reconcile those without being sued for breach of promise?
Good Health
OoRoo

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 19:48:40

I was surprised Rufus mentioned it again. However Aveline, if Rufus is anything like my husband, he needs to be told off reminded more than once! ?
Rufus, I am joking!

Aveline Wed 09-Jun-21 19:35:49

Oh don't worry about that Marydoll I was just surprised at you mentioning it again.

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 15:51:25

I know Aveline, please give me some credit. However, he promised me he would be good! ?

Rufus2 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:42:18

Erm! Well that puts me in the picture or maybe the frame.
Who wears the trews in their house, I wonder?
I'll be looking at her in a different light next time!
Strewth! hmm

Aveline Wed 09-Jun-21 15:29:47

Erm Marydoll does it occur to you that his use of 'Glasgie' is a wind up?

Marydoll Wed 09-Jun-21 15:16:31

No!!! Rufus, no-one ever says Glasg ie.
Happy to hear Aveline has put you right about Susan!

Aveline Wed 09-Jun-21 14:54:24

Erm Rufus2 sorry to break this to you but Susan Calman is very happily married to her wife

Rufus2 Wed 09-Jun-21 14:52:29

I don't think you're quite Susan Calman's cup of tea Rufus2
Aveline. Good Evening!
What's going on here? Have you moved to Glasgie!?
You seem to have joined forces whilst my back was turned!
Seems to me she could handle something stronger than tea!
How about a bottle of Singleton's single malt whiskey!?
We get royalties! Good stuff so I'm told!

Btw Have I posted something like this earlier, only we're having some very wild weather, at 11.47pm and a series of short sharp power cuts just as if a tree branch keeps swiping a power line. and wiping my messages.
Oh well can't be helped. hmm
OoRoo

Alegrias1 Wed 02-Jun-21 17:11:46

Me too wink. I like Aveline's phrasing grin

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 17:09:52

You put it very well, Aveline! I was trying to find a way to enlighten Rufus. wink

I must say, I do enjoy her sorties around Britain!

Aveline Wed 02-Jun-21 17:06:24

I don't think you're quite Susan Calman's cup of tea Rufus2...

Rufus2 Wed 02-Jun-21 16:10:41

you need your ears re-tuned
FarNorh You can say that again!
I said "YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN"
Unfortunately I have occasional bouts of BPPV and Susan is so pretty I fail to concentrate on her pronunciation!
Perhaps I should take more stimulant, or maybe less, for her next in the series! grin
OoRoo

FarNorth Wed 02-Jun-21 14:48:46

Btw I learned recently the Gaelic name for Burns Night is Oidche na Taigeise - Night of the Haggises.

FarNorth Wed 02-Jun-21 14:45:13

Rufus it's unfortunate you seem to have been asleep during the Susan Calman programme, where she clearly said Glasgow, pronounced Glaz-go.
If you hear that as Glasgie, you need your ears re-tuned.

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 13:56:12

Rufus, I'm a reformed character and anyway, I no longer have the energy, nor inclination to do battle!

PS, Information Technology is my forte, but I don't wish to brag about my prowess! As for haggis, I cant stand the stuff! ?

Rufus2 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:45:15

you are so wrong about the shorthand
Marydoll You're slow to-day!
Has that compliment upset your rhythm!?
I left you an opening for you to retort that shorthand went out with the haggis and you all use hi-tech electronic gizmos in Scotland! grin
I'll keep off the compliments seeing as how they cramp your style; is that Maw I can hear? hmm

Think I may have solved my problem with "Glasgie"
Due to dialect and indistinct articulation not spoken with BBC pronunciation!
But there again, I could be so wrong, again
Good health
OoRoo

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 12:56:16

Maw ?

I suspect that unsubstantiated assumptions may be the reason, Rufus and I will never be best pals! wink

MawBe Wed 02-Jun-21 12:52:54

How wrong can you be Rufus
This shows the danger of unsubstantiated assumptions.
“Assume”, as you my remember” makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 12:48:42

Rufus, you are so wrong about the shorthand, and I have never learned to touch type, much to my annoyance! grin
Also, since I talk too much and a great speed, my brain goes faster than I can speak (my Glesca accent becomes more noticeable), I am the one who is usually called to order! wink

Are you paying me a compliment? If so, you have just made my day!!! OoRoo!

Rufus2 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:40:31

member of the Scottish Government Shielding Research panel
Marydoll Very commendable!
I've always imagined you as a dedicated "Committee Person" always as Secretary with your undoubted knowledge of committee procedures, points of order and the like!: probably good at shorthand too, reminiscent of my dear Vera!
On a lighter note; this topic reminded me of that recent Zoom video of the Handforth Parish committee meeting that went viral when the secretary (Jackie Weaver) sacked the Chairman! grin
But I'm sure your meetings would be called to order, quick smart!
OoRoo

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 12:36:20

Good to see you are still about, Megs, not seen you about recently.

Megs36 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:17:37

Mt husband was ‘shielding ‘ for most of last year and part of this, consequently so was I . He was in hospital at the beginning of the pandemic,very scary, and extremely vulnerable,and when home we followed the Advice from government, didn’t sleep together for months, took care with social distancing etc. Didn’t go out or meet anyone.Back in the beginning this was decried by some posters but we survived the criticism and took care as much as possible. Like many things there were some people who took the ‘rules’ to extremes and some who ignored them, who knows in the end who was right.

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 09:48:02

Katek, I totally agree with your post. I too do not like the term. shielding and it's
connotations. With the support of my clinicians, I make my own decisions. However, one of my consultants did put the fear of death into me, which consequently influenced my behaviour.
In my opinion, the Scottish Govt has made mistakes in dealing with extremely, clinically vulnerable patients, but considering we have never previously had to deal with something like this, it's not surprising. That is one of the reasons I contribute on a regular basis to the research panel.
Katek, I hope you are on the mend after your surgery.

Aveline Wed 02-Jun-21 09:20:41

Ooo gaun yersel' Katek!