Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Zero deaths!

(173 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:07:59

Since covid began. Of course there are caveats, but thank you, thank you, to all the scientists, and nhs staff whose tireless work has got us to this position..

A wonderful day

JosephAMendenhall Mon 19-Jul-21 07:22:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lincslass Mon 19-Jul-21 06:52:44

nanna8

Boris has had Covid and the vaccinations . Do they actually make a difference with this delta strain ? Just wondering , it would be nice to get some truth because they sure as hell don’t tell you here. I know the disease is supposed to be milder if you have had a vaccine but is it really? Can you still spread it ? They are saying it is the be all and end all here but can you believe them or not ? We have had ours but still don’t feel at all confident to live a normal life. Not that that is possible here.

I don’t know whether you listen to Dr John Campbell, on You tube. Gives very clear advice and discusses peer reviewed research on Covid from a world view perspective, here is a piece on research from Israel about Covid following vaccination.
youtu.be/pCdTHgRSs3o

Blinko Mon 19-Jul-21 06:39:13

I'm feeling far more wary now that people may choose whether or not to wear masks and keep a reasonable distance from me. I was beginning to venture back on to public transport, trying to pick quiet times. But after a tram journey to meet friends in Birmingham just under a fortnight ago, I was pinged and had to isolate for ten days. This is surely going to be more likely now that masks and SD are no longer enshrined in law.

Whiff Mon 19-Jul-21 05:35:56

I for one won't be giving up my mask anytime soon. I will still social distance and use hand gel on shopping carts . Things will not get better until next year. The rules aren't hard to follow to be honest for me it's just become a way of life.

As for delivery drivers not wearing masks I was told by Sainsbury's you can ask the driver to wear a mask.

All through the pandemic I have had to go too hospital on several occasions and the care I got was wonderful. To be honest it was so much better people having to go on their own unless they needed a carer with them. Queues where shorter and it was quiet. You could hear your name called.

Going on a train today with be masked and hand gelled as soon as I board and alight.

Just because we can do more things doesn't mean we through caution to the wind. But I can see another lockdown before winter.

Enjoy yourselves but still be careful.

nanna8 Mon 19-Jul-21 02:25:25

Boris has had Covid and the vaccinations . Do they actually make a difference with this delta strain ? Just wondering , it would be nice to get some truth because they sure as hell don’t tell you here. I know the disease is supposed to be milder if you have had a vaccine but is it really? Can you still spread it ? They are saying it is the be all and end all here but can you believe them or not ? We have had ours but still don’t feel at all confident to live a normal life. Not that that is possible here.

MayBee70 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:52:51

It’s all happening so quickly as well. I mean, having got up really early to walk the dog before it got hot I have a quick nap and the PM’s self isolating has gone from will he, no he won’t, yes he will (behind you!) in the time I was having my forty winks…..I can’t keep up with it confused

MayBee70 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:48:26

He really has excelled himself this time hasn’t he! I noticed the Tesco’s delivery man didn’t bother to wear a mask this morning and that’s even before 19th…..

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:09:18

MayBee70

Bet you didn’t expect it to go sh** quite so quickly though….

No I didn’t maybe. But it clearly emanates from one of many Johnson’s disastrous decisions.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Jul-21 10:06:19

It also guess it depends on your definition of s*** and from where you are looking. And whether you think we are ever going to get to zero COVID.

Scotland, yesterday.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:29:37

Sensible way to proceed, Ellianne ??

Ellianne Sun 18-Jul-21 09:11:43

I am concerned and disappointed, but I will remain hopeful and do what I personally can using my best judgment.
It is important not to be dragged down by others' revelling in the worst possible scenario. I will happily commiserate with those who are concerned, but won't be rejoicing in a "told you so" chorus.

rosie1959 Sun 18-Jul-21 09:04:37

MaizieD I am sure drs do not make out death certificates in a haphazard way that wasn't even a suggestion
My question was if Covid is on the death certificate and I happen to die from something else is it counted in the daily totals if I also test positive for Covid

MaizieD Sun 18-Jul-21 08:49:22

rosie1959

Often wonder how many actually die from Covid now as opposed to die with it. One of the best places to catch anything is in hospital

I think you'd be best asking a doctor about that and they could explain how they make out death certificates. It's not as casually haphazard as the conspiracy theorists think, apparently.

You could look at it this way, how many of them would still be alive if they hadn't contracted covid?

rosie1959 Sun 18-Jul-21 08:20:14

Often wonder how many actually die from Covid now as opposed to die with it. One of the best places to catch anything is in hospital

MayBee70 Sun 18-Jul-21 08:12:06

Bet you didn’t expect it to go sh** quite so quickly though….

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Jul-21 07:20:46

growstuff

Alegrias1

growstuff

I'm fed up with being infantilised and having facts withheld because it's considered I couldn't deal with them. Face the facts and deal with them.

The facts are that things are improving. Maybe it will all go to sh** again. Me, I'll look to better times. You can do what you like.

This didn't age well. hmm

Maybe it will all go to sh**

Sorry, did I show a glint of optimism tempered with reality?

Triumphalism suits you growstuff.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 18-Jul-21 06:43:26

The place we are now in is entirely due to Johnson’s decision in April.

MayBee70 Sun 18-Jul-21 06:25:30

But things are great. Tomorrow is freedom day. Johnson is supposed to be giving a Churchillian Freedom Day speech. Or, at least he was until a) people advised him not to and b) he couldn’t anyway because he’s having to self isolate due to his health minister catching covid (I’m just assuming the last bit but as he had a meeting with Javid on Friday I can’t see why he won’t be). You couldn’t make it up could you!

growstuff Sun 18-Jul-21 05:14:44

Alegrias1

growstuff

I'm fed up with being infantilised and having facts withheld because it's considered I couldn't deal with them. Face the facts and deal with them.

The facts are that things are improving. Maybe it will all go to sh** again. Me, I'll look to better times. You can do what you like.

This didn't age well. hmm

B9exchange Mon 07-Jun-21 18:29:17

Only one death today. I know it is a Monday, but it is still reassuring.

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 22:12:30

maddyone

I think prices have risen because there is no competition because families are choosing to not go abroad this year, and indeed last year. This gives the British providers carte blanche to charge whatever they like. Contrary to losing money over the Covid period, providers are often fully booked, as they were last year, simply due to larger numbers of people choosing to holiday at home.

They couldn't have holiday makers for months. In my town they normally do Tinsel and Turkey in November/December - nothing last year. People stay at Christmas - nothing last year. Big New Year Do's - again nothing. Easter - nothing. Early May bank holiday - nothing. They need numbers in winter to tick over, summer is when they make up the difference and hopefully a profit. They really didn't have full bookings last year, they did for part of the year.

I went shopping yesterday and the number of empty shops/bars/cafes is just shocking.

Ellianne Sun 06-Jun-21 20:47:21

As an example we let our house in France for 3 times the price in July and August because we could sell it those weeks 20 times over.
It is tempting to be greedy, but that isn't really fair

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 20:38:16

Franbern

The costs of holidays at seasides in Uk has risen tremendously. And, of course, as usual -so much higher costs during school holidays. So, many parents will just have to be taken some advantage, when and where they can, and can afford to get themselves and their young children away for a few days.

Until some sort of regulations are brought about to stop prices inreasing, often doubling or more, as schools break up, it is not going to be possible to prevent many children being take out of schools for a few days. Even when schools were told to fine parents doing this, the cost of the fines were very much less than trying to book same places in holiday times.

Holiday businesses can't make enough money out of season to survive. All regulations will do is reduce supply, who is going to bother investing in a loss making business?

I live in a seaside town, businesses are lucky if they are making some money to pay costs through winter, they break even in summer, make a profit at the height of the season.

theworriedwell Sun 06-Jun-21 20:35:22

Supply and demand. Demand is up, supply is the same so prices rise. It's business.

maddyone Sun 06-Jun-21 19:54:42

I think prices have risen because there is no competition because families are choosing to not go abroad this year, and indeed last year. This gives the British providers carte blanche to charge whatever they like. Contrary to losing money over the Covid period, providers are often fully booked, as they were last year, simply due to larger numbers of people choosing to holiday at home.