Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will a removal of COVID legal restrictions be taken by some businesses as meaning we are obliged not to take precautions?

(14 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 05-Jul-21 21:05:52

rosie1959 What do you need to say? Surely you just sign and take the parcel.
You know that masks mainly protect the person not wearing them?
So you're happy to endanger the postie, in order to convey a few clichéd comments?

Lin52 Mon 05-Jul-21 20:03:04

rosie1959

Far North have been taking parcels from drivers for ages it's just not concerning to me If I wore a mask my postman would know what I was saying he is deaf

Know what you mean, one of the workers in my local Butchers is hearing impaired, and do I forget to write a list, of course I do!

Smileless2012 Mon 05-Jul-21 19:57:49

MayBee if you're worried about the engineer not wearing a mask, contact the company before hand saying you require him to do so or you'll have to go else where.

AGAA4 Mon 05-Jul-21 19:48:33

I am glad I live in Wales as there is a more cautious approach

Nanderin Mon 05-Jul-21 18:38:56

I totally agree with you.

aonk Sun 06-Jun-21 13:58:29

The point about deliveries is an interesting one. The number of items delivered had risen greatly since the pandemic and it’s so much more convenient and safer to leave the parcels on the doorstep. I doubt this will change.
Change is much more likely in other areas. We go shopping more frequently now rather than only occasionally and we’re happy to go to cafes, restaurants and hotels. We also visit family and friends and invite them to visit us. We are keeping within the guidelines as they currently stand. I don’t feel that it’s right to have a further relaxation in restrictions.

rosie1959 Sun 06-Jun-21 13:50:12

Far North have been taking parcels from drivers for ages it's just not concerning to me If I wore a mask my postman would know what I was saying he is deaf

MayBee70 Sun 06-Jun-21 13:47:41

Interesting point. I can’t help but feel that I’m going to end up like those Japanese soldiers that continued to fight WWII years after it ended. It took ages before people started to wear masks when entering other people’s houses (eg the carers that visit my neighbour twice a day didn’t wear masks or the delivery men that delivered to us). I feel a lot safer now that people do wear masks. I’m having my boiler serviced in a couple of weeks time and I hope the engineer will wear a mask as I’m too cowardly to ask him to do so if he doesn’t. We’re still not having people in the house and that includes family.

Galaxy Sun 06-Jun-21 13:44:25

I am sure that kind of thing will continue. Much easier for the delivery people I would have thought.

greenlady102 Sun 06-Jun-21 13:43:43

I think they will keep the alternate proof of delivery systems because it speeds up deliveries unless its something that needs proof of age in which case they will still need to see it. Even before lockdown 1 its ages, maybe years, since I signed for anything and I shop online a LOT

FarNorth Sun 06-Jun-21 13:41:24

rosie1959 signing also involves standing facing the delivery person, possibly without masks.

Why could deliveries not continue as they have been doing? If photos have been acceptable all this time, why not continue like that?

I hope businesses realise that making people abandon safeguards will not be a good move.

rosie1959 Sun 06-Jun-21 13:36:20

Not sure we have quite a few deliveries driver usually just passes me the parcel after knocking at the door If a signature is required have no problem with signing for it Can always wash hands after delivery

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jun-21 13:17:48

People who've been double-vaccinated in hospital with Covid.

ElderlyPerson Sun 06-Jun-21 13:12:59

Will a removal of all COVID legal restrictions be taken by some businesses as meaning we are obliged not to take precautions?

It is possible that all COVID legal restrictions will be removed soon.

Yet the threat level will still be above level 1.

I hope that some businesses will not take the line that no precautions are allowed.

For example, couriers making deliveries pre-pandemic would often ask for a signature.

Now, for example, DPD have two options. Either open your front door a bit and stand back and the parcel placed on the step in front of the open door and photographed. Or keep the door shut and before the delivery arrives put a note on the door authorising leaving the parcel on the doorstep or somewhere else, the note and the placed parcel being photographed.

I did the latter option recently adding on the note to please knock just before going, which the delivery man did.

But if all legal restrictions are lifted, will that system continue, or will people be expected to open the door and sign again, even though removal of legal restrictions does not oblige one to not take precautions if one wishes to do so?

DPD is just an example. In general too.

I have no intention of going out of lockdown until the threat level is down to level 1, and then only cautiously.

Do other people have the same attitude? I know that the media tries to make out that everybody is champing at the bit to get out and about, but is that true - I accept that some people may be.