Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Had both jabs but caught Covid

(32 Posts)
Buffybee Wed 09-Jun-21 11:38:30

I'm worried as I now know I was in slight contact with someone three days ago, who has tested positive for Covid.
I've had both vaccinations, last one in March but i know you can still get infected.
I'm wondering has anyone caught Covid after having both jabs and how ill were they, I'm worried as I have Asthma and breathing can be difficult at times anyway.

AGAA4 Sat 19-Jun-21 15:40:54

I was with my D the day before she had covid. I had my second dose a month earlier. I didn't get it even though I was with her for hours. She was quite ill as unvaccinated at the time.

calvin21 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:17:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GillT57 Mon 14-Jun-21 12:29:00

That's interesting Peasblossom and as I suspected, covid is being diagnosed as a 'side' illness, not the reason for hospitalisation which is very different.

Nannashirlz Mon 14-Jun-21 12:21:37

I think you supposed to be safe after 3 weeks after second dose. That’s what I saw on tv. So I’m hoping it’s right because I’ve a few health conditions. But if you pop to boots you can pick up a test over counter but if you can’t if you go on nhs app you can get out in the post and it will be here tomorrow if you order today. It’s super quick I’ve done it lol

Witzend Mon 14-Jun-21 10:47:16

Should have added, he’s mid 80s.

Witzend Mon 14-Jun-21 10:46:40

I’m not saying this is necessarily typical, OP, but in case it helps to reassure you, a frail elderly neighbour of ours was admitted to hospital after a fall - nothing to do with Covid, but he’d had the first jab - caught Covid in hospital, but was entirely symptomless. It just meant he had to stay in hospital a lot longer than he would have otherwise.

annodomini Mon 14-Jun-21 10:45:42

Hearing that local residents had been told to get tested, because of the raised incidence of the virus last week, I probably over-reacted by getting a Lateral Flow pack from Tesco Pharmacy (free of charge). I've had my two vaccinations and plenty of time has elapsed since the second. Anyway, I did the test and, of course, it proved negative. If you are at all worried, do get hold of the pack, free from any pharmacy, and test yourself.

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 10:42:01

Biscuitmuncher I am sure you wear a seatbelt whenever you are out in the car, and have a a lot of faith in its ability to lessen the injuries you would receive in a crash. Do you trust it so blindly that you would rev up to 150 miles an hour on a twisty road, do three-point turns on a narrow mountain road with a cliff inches from the edge, or drive while falling-down drunk?

JaneJudge Mon 14-Jun-21 09:58:34

Lucca

Biscuitmuncher

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in your vaccination

Who is that addressed to ?

Bill Gates?

Chestnut Mon 14-Jun-21 09:44:58

I consider myself at risk of serious illness with covid, but I've had two vaccinations, I'm only mixing with my family, and washing hands, wearing masks in public places etc. There is always going to be the chance I make contact with the virus, but I am not going to fret any more!!
Keep calm and carry on as they say. ?

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 08:40:24

A question mark in the title would have made the meaning clearer, Buffy. As it is, it states that you HAVE caught it, not that you want to know whether you may have done. Yes, I know that makes me a pedant, but I did genuinely think is what you meant, and those who read just the title will add you to their mental statistics, under people-can-and-do-still-get-it-after-vaccination-so-why-bother.

MawBe Mon 14-Jun-21 08:28:30

Your thread title suggests you have contracted Covid but as I understand you are asking if anybody has and worrying about it. You can get a box of lateral flow tests free from the NHS website to put your mind at rest. It’s a good idea if you know you have been in contact with a positive case , depends what “slight contact” involved.
But my eldest grandson tested positive before Christmas and none of the rest of his family (a younger brother and sister as well as his parents) caught it from him despite living in the same house.
Testing is the thing to do.

Lucca Mon 14-Jun-21 08:12:53

Biscuitmuncher

Who is that addressed to ?

Biscuitmuncher Mon 14-Jun-21 07:57:27

maddyone Sun 13-Jun-21 23:44:03

Buffybee just to try to put your mind at rest, use the lateral flow tests as someone suggested, but I also have asthma and I caught Covid in the winter. I was hospitalised for twelve days, but the positive thing, I’m still here! The hospitals know how to manage Covid very well now so people recover. In all likelihood you will not have caught Covid, but you’ll get better if you have. So don’t worry.

Sago Wed 09-Jun-21 21:56:09

I have had both jabs ( Pfizer) I had very close contact with someone who had tested positive.
I have had three negative tests.

growstuff Wed 09-Jun-21 18:38:52

mumofmadboys

I read of all the people in hospital with the Indian variant only 2 % of them had had 2 vaccines.

It's slightly higher than that in Manchester, but it's still a percentage in single figures.

mumofmadboys Wed 09-Jun-21 16:31:40

I read of all the people in hospital with the Indian variant only 2 % of them had had 2 vaccines.

Buffybee Wed 09-Jun-21 16:08:02

Thanks so much everyone! I feel a lot better about it now.
What I needed was some lovely Gransnetters telling me to stop worrying so much and that by the law of averages, I should be fine.

M0nica Wed 09-Jun-21 15:30:37

Everything I have heard says a) if vaccinated the chances of getting it are very low indeed b) in the unlikely case you do get it, it is likely to be mild and not require hospital admission, even if you have had reason to shield.

Peasblossom Wed 09-Jun-21 14:49:34

If it’s any comfort, my nephew who is a doctor in one of the hotspot hospitals, has had no admissions for Covid after a three week period from the second vaccination.

He has had patients admitted for other emergencies, who test positive for Covid on admission. The hospital then has to register them as a patient with Covid as well as their emergency problem. But they are not ill with Covid, even though they have it.

So even that small percentage of those in hospital after two vaccinations doesn’t mean they are in hospital because of Covid, if you see what I mean.

Having worked through the desperate months of the pandemic he thinks the vaccine is a miracle?

BlueBelle Wed 09-Jun-21 14:25:44

Buffybee worrying so much is only going to make you more open to the virus as stress and worry causes your immune system to take a beating you also said slight conntact
The changes of you getting it after being injected are small and the chances of you being very ill if you were one of the tiny few are very light
greenlady I don’t think there are any stats to show how long before catching it those unlucky few had had their jabs I believe for three weeks after, you aren’t fully covered

MayBee70 Wed 09-Jun-21 13:35:23

I very much doubt that, having been vaccinated you would become seriously ill with covid but it’s really good that you are aware that you might still catch it and possibly pass it on to others or be ill yourself. I wish more people were so aware and thoughtful.

Buffybee Wed 09-Jun-21 13:13:46

Thank you all, that makes me feel better.
If I am unlucky enough to have caught it, it will be a good test of how well the vaccinations work and I'm so thankful to the brilliant scientists who have worked so tirelessly, to protect us all, because without it, I think I may have been in trouble.

greenlady102 Wed 09-Jun-21 12:46:30

Ilovecheese

The news this morning said that there are 163 people in hospital in Greater Manchester due to the virus. Of those, 6 people have had both vaccinations. So a very low incidence.

and of that incidence, there may have been people who were incubating it before second dose