Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Who is it coming down with the new cases of covid?

(21 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 15:51:01

Has anyone seen any stats on whether vaccination is protecting against the delta variant?

Is it mainly unvaccinated people who are catching it?

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 15:56:37

These are the data for Scotland. Over 65s are about 97% vaccinated. It would suggest that the younger, less vaccinated people are catching Covid.

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 16:03:40

This from the same source, tho, suggests that older people are being infected at a similar rate to younger ones, per 100k population.

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 16:07:15

There are all sorts of variables, of course, about who has to mix with others at work etc.
That's why I wondered if there is any clear info on whether people who have been vaccinated are nevertheless coming down with the delta variant.

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 16:07:26

No, it suggests that older people are being hospitalised at a higher rate than younger ones. Younger ones are less likely to be hospitalised overall because COVID is generally less severe for them, irrespective of their vaccination status.

Also, older people are more likely to be in hospital anyway and potentially test positive while they are there, even though they did not go into hospital with COVID.

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 16:10:52

uk.news.yahoo.com/revealed-fully-vaccinated-died-delta-indian-variant-coronavirus-102623618.html

Yahoo - not the best data source, I grant you smile

FarNorth Sat 19-Jun-21 16:16:12

Thank you.
I admit I'm getting quite confused with the various info around.

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 17:09:52

You're welcome FarNorth

Lucca Sat 19-Jun-21 18:05:04

I caught something on bbc news … wasn’t paying Full attention, but I did see that 47% of those who have recently died from Covid were unvaccinated.

Grannynannywanny Sat 19-Jun-21 18:29:12

My friend’s 40 year old daughter, is a support worker in a community house with 3 learning disabled men. All staff and the residents have been double vaccinated.

One of the men developed a cough and sore throat last week and was tested as a precaution and it was positive. 2 staff also tested positive. One of them with no symptoms and the other, my friend’s daughter, with a mild sore throat, headache and loss of taste for 48hrs.

Headache, sore throat and runny nose are now being reported as main symptoms of the delta variant.

In a mild form it will be difficult to distinguish from hay fever or a common cold without testing. The good news is those who are double vaccinated seem to be experiencing relatively mild symptoms.

OnwardandUpward Sat 19-Jun-21 19:04:48

It's good to know that the vaccinated are experiencing mild symptoms.

I know some elderly people who aren't vaccinated because they have read into some of the conspiracy theories spread around by these conspiracy nuts and I feel sad for them.

JaneJudge Sat 19-Jun-21 19:26:33

Well I know you are all fed up of me. But we are in a high delta area and my friend has it now, 1 vaccination and her husband who has had 2 vaccinations, both in their 40s he has had 2 as he has immune issues. They caught of their teenage son who has been more or less asymptomatic. My friend said her husband has it mild but she feels proper rough.

So I think it is parents of school age children who are catching it off their children

JaneJudge Sat 19-Jun-21 19:27:31

they have all had pcr tests btw as the LFT were negative but they knew their son had been with someone infected at school as he'd bee asked to isolate at home

Alegrias1 Sat 19-Jun-21 19:35:25

Well I for one am not fed up of you JaneJudge flowers, I'm sure nobody else is either.

But if they are, their problem wink

SueDonim Sat 19-Jun-21 21:16:56

Janejudge it was the opposite in the area where my dd works. They had a sudden rise in rates but there didn’t seem to be a focal point. In the end, they think that it had come from youngish adults in their 30/40’s going to the pubs again, spreading it about, then taking it home and giving it to their children, who were often symptomless.

JaneJudge Sat 19-Jun-21 22:53:50

It is spreading in schools here, it was cited by the local authority that it was brought in by individuals travelling from abroad and then started spreading in schools and then into the wider community. I suppose children's parents could've gone to the pub and then given it to their children who went into school, spread it to other pupils and then they took it home to their parents who hadn't been to the pub though.

OnwardandUpward Sat 19-Jun-21 23:07:34

JaneJudge

Well I know you are all fed up of me. But we are in a high delta area and my friend has it now, 1 vaccination and her husband who has had 2 vaccinations, both in their 40s he has had 2 as he has immune issues. They caught of their teenage son who has been more or less asymptomatic. My friend said her husband has it mild but she feels proper rough.

So I think it is parents of school age children who are catching it off their children

So sorry about your friend !
It makes sense that it's parents of school age kids catching it off their kids. I feel sorry for the school staff too.

No one is fed up with you, keep talking flowers

misty34 Sat 19-Jun-21 23:14:38

My local primary school closed as all have to self isolate after being in close contact to a positive case.

SueDonim Sat 19-Jun-21 23:17:34

I’m sure there will be different methods of spread in different areas, Janejudge. This one caught the people trying to track it down by surprise as it wasn’t the usual suspects!

overthehill Sat 19-Jun-21 23:19:00

I met with my old boss who is Deputy Chief Nurse at a London Hospital. She told me they have 6 cases at present, all under 30. Three in ICU. They either haven't had the jab or had one but without time for it to take effect. She says the last 18 months of her long career have been the worst and we do NEED the restrictions.

Teacheranne Sat 19-Jun-21 23:27:46

In my area, the local High School have an outbreak in Years 8 and 9, with many children and bubbles being sent home to isolate.

I personally know two families who are currently affected, both cases where parents who have had two vaccinations contracting it from their adult children, one too young at the time to have been offered the jab ( she’s 21) and the other has had one vaccination. In each family, all those living in the house tested positive and were poorly in varying degrees, from very mild cold like symptoms to quite nasty fever and aches. The worse affected was a mum who has had both vaccinations. But all are better now and did not need to go to hospital.

So I am concerned about how quickly it appears to be transmitted but pleased that the vaccine appears to reduce the symptoms. Hopefully when more younger adults receive their vaccinations, things will ease up.