Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

India-made AZ vaccines not being recognised?

(7 Posts)
maddyone Sun 04-Jul-21 11:29:19

We had Pfizer, but the rest of my family had AZ. My son and his wife are hoping to go to one of the Greek islands at the same time as us, in late September. Thank you for the information Mawbe and also Alegrias as they were wondering if they would be affected by this. They’re dropping by later today, I’ll tell them.

Lin52 Fri 02-Jul-21 09:53:12

Unfortunately my DSIL in Northern Cyprus only had access to the Sinopharm vaccine, only recognised by WHO as an emergency vaccine, still not recognised worldwide, nearly back to normal there, unfortunately unable to travel due to Turkey being on UK red list, now, yes loop hole was finally closed.

Riverwalk Fri 02-Jul-21 09:39:23

I was half listening to the radio on this - something along the lines of the Indian company that produced some batches not having yet applied for the licence, or whatever, for the EU to approve?

I stand to be corrected.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 09:26:49

Conversely...

Seven EU countries have approved India's vaccines for arriving travellers, sources told the BBC.

Covishield is now eligible for travel to Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Ireland and Spain.

Iceland and Switzerland too have made the jab eligible for travel to the countries, sources said.

Separately, Estonia has confirmed that it will recognise all the vaccines authorised by India for incoming travellers, sources said.
The move had come amid reports that Covishield was not yet eligible for EU's digital green certificate set to launch on Thursday. The certificate is currently for EU citizens only.

The original report is from the Telegraph, who have put their own spin on it. An anti-EU spin, unsurprisingly.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57628123

lavenderzen Fri 02-Jul-21 09:25:29

Thank you Mawbe, just heard this on the news, but no batch numbers mentioned. Many thanks.

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 02-Jul-21 08:50:52

Thank you for this information Mawbe, Gransnet is so useful with posters keeping us updated. It is appreciated.

MawBe Fri 02-Jul-21 08:32:03

UP TO five million Britons face being prevented from going on European holidays because their AstraZeneca vaccinations are not recognised by the EU’s passport scheme it seems.
Millions of doses administered in this country but made in India do not qualify for the EU vaccine passport scheme, as they are not yet authorised by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The EMA-approved vaccines are Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, and the version of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab manufactured in the UK or Europe, which is sold under the brand name Vaxzevria.
The EU Digital Covid Certificate, which went into operation yesterday, is designed to allow Covid-secure travel across the bloc but does not recognise a version of the AstraZeneca vaccine called Covishield, produced by the Serum Institute of India (SII).
Up to five million Covishield doses have been administered in Britain and are identifiable by batch numbers 4120Z001, 4120Z002 and 4120Z003, which are noted on recipients’ vaccine cards and in the Covid travel pass available via the NHS app.
They also feature in the worldwide vaccination plans especially for Third World countries.
Big question - How do you exclude the majority of the world’s population from Europe on the basis of their vaccine?’