Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Does the Astra Zeneca vaccine work?

(203 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 02-Jul-21 09:32:32

I am asking this because there is a lot of resistance to it here and many say it just doesn’t work. I am sure they do not know this but have just heard rumours. I figured in the uk people might know as they are way ahead of us in vaccine rates.
I have had two doses myself as have many of my friends and acquaintances so I really hope we haven’t wasted our time.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:44:16

Somebody needs to tell the Spanish then. And the Greeks. etc.

Funnily enough, those of us who said that being an EU member didn't mean that you had to apply with all the central directive,s seem to have been correct.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:44:42

Terrible punctuation, sorry.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 15:47:21

nanna8

I am asking this because there is a lot of resistance to it here and many say it just doesn’t work. I am sure they do not know this but have just heard rumours. I figured in the uk people might know as they are way ahead of us in vaccine rates.
I have had two doses myself as have many of my friends and acquaintances so I really hope we haven’t wasted our time.

It will have worked, nanna8, you will be well protected.

That isn't what is causing the reluctance amongst younger people, especially young women.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 15:51:35

Their vaccination programmes seems very hit and miss, not ordered enough from the sound of it.

As far as I remember, the Australian government had ordered 100m doses and were going to provide some free to poorer S Pacific nations but I believe there is a supply problem.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 15:52:08

That was in response to Calendargirl, sorry

Kali2 Fri 02-Jul-21 16:04:19

greenlady102

25Avalon

Alegrias it’s in all the papers. It is because some batches of the Indian manufacture have not yet been approved by the EMA.

as I understand it, the EU is only approving batches that they have received a part of. As they didn't get any part of those batches, they won't approve them. I voted to stay but I think the EU have made a spiteful dog's breakfast of the vaccine roll out.

Where do you get that info from? Please explain.

It is not approved because it has not gone through proper chanels for approval- so how it the EU responsible for this?

Someone I know is NOT happy as he has had both jabs and thought he would be OK to travel soon but

''So my Astra Zeneca jab batch numbers are different. One begins PV466 (Good) and the other batch number is 4120Z003 (notsogood) which is a batch from an AZ plant in India rather than UK/EU. Means its NOT approved for travel into the EU as not approved by the EMA.
GRRR!
This is where you all run off to find your vaccine card to see if you too have a jab from a batch number 4120Z001, 4120Z002 or 4120Z003.''

Wonder how many will find themselves in this trick situation.

Kali2 Fri 02-Jul-21 16:08:17

A reminder that we used to have huge inlfuence on the EMA, based in London UK- which 'we' chose to withdraw from

''On 20 November 2017, European Union (EU) Member States decided to relocate the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to Amsterdam, the Netherlands, as a result of the United Kingdom's (UK) withdrawal from the EU.''

that was certainly not the choice of the EU!

greenlady102 Fri 02-Jul-21 16:09:50

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57695835

Its not a different vaccine, but it does have a different name.

Callistemon Fri 02-Jul-21 17:14:32

So many of the world's medicines and vaccines are manufactured in India and all have to conform to the same rigorous procedures

Why did they not receive part of the batch for testing?

nanna8 Sat 03-Jul-21 14:04:11

The international borders are clanging shut again here until more are vaccinated. Some can get through but it will be a bit of a lottery and depends who you know in sporting circles or high places it seems!

BlueBelle Sat 03-Jul-21 14:12:23

Both my jabs are the non Indian AZ both PV so presumably I ll be acceptable to travel although I don’t intend going anywhere yet

greenlady102 Sat 03-Jul-21 23:11:22

Callistemon

So many of the world's medicines and vaccines are manufactured in India and all have to conform to the same rigorous procedures

Why did they not receive part of the batch for testing?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-57665765

"Why is Covishield not EU-approved?
The Indian product - widely used in poorer countries via the Covax vaccine programme - is identical to the one made in Europe.
But the EMA hasn't needed to approve it because the EU isn't receiving any doses from the site in India where it's manufactured.
However, the World Health Organization has approved Covishield for emergency use, and the European Commission says individual member states may agree to let in travellers fully-vaccinated with Covishield.
Some countries already accept other vaccines - for example, Greece accepts China's Sinovac, Russia's Sputnik V and several others.
The Serum Institute is understood to be seeking emergency EU authorisation for Covishield.
AstraZeneca also says it's working with the EMA on the "inclusion of Covishield as a recognised vaccine for immunisation passports" - although the EMA says there is currently no application for market authorisation."

MayBee70 Sat 03-Jul-21 23:23:18

If Australia doesn’t get on top of their vaccination programme and the Delta variant takes hold I dread to think what will happen as so few people have any immunity to the virus. Vaccine hesitancy in Australia could result in the continent being where we were 18 months ago. I’d advise anyone in Australia to watch DrJohn Campbells utube blogs because he does a regular web chat with two Australian doctors, both of whom are desperate to get themselves doubly vaccinated.

Callistemon Sat 03-Jul-21 23:50:44

Thank you greenlady

greenlady102 Sat 03-Jul-21 23:56:58

Callistemon

Thank you greenlady

you are welcome

Cold Sun 04-Jul-21 00:26:13

The Astra Zeneca vaccine is effective but for some reason gives better protection to older people and less to younger

I live in Sweden and according to information here from the Swedish Public Health Agency
Pfizer - 95% effective after 2 shots
Moderna - 94% effective after 2 shots
Astra Zeneca 76% effective after 2 shots BUT 85% effective in over 65s
Johnson and -johnson single shot vaccine 72%

It is believed that the Astra Zeneca vaccine is a bit less effective against the Delta variants and also many countries have not licenced it for people under 65 because of the rare blood clotting side effects

Marydoll Sun 04-Jul-21 00:33:56

Of course it working! I too am immunosuppressed and have had both doses of the AZ vaccine. My RA consultant told me yesterday that they have being doing research on patients who are immunosuporessed, to find evidence of the efficacy of this vaccine.
The figure they have come up with is 86% efficacy for people like me, whose immune system is compromised. I'm delighted with that figure as I had been told my protection levels would be much lower.
What he also said was that I will definitely have a booster in the autumn, but it will probably be a different vaccine.

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:34:44

I personally wouldn't get AstraZeneca. Not because I don't think it works but for other reasons. As far as the figures Cold posted above - 76% efficacy isn't good enough for me in light of my other concerns.

Casdon Sun 04-Jul-21 07:44:56

Cold has given an inaccurate picture of the relative efficacy of the vaccines. You have to look at protection against severe disease resulting in hospitalisation and death.
Here is the full picture from trials to date.
pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/feature/everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-vaccines

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 07:52:08

Maybe Cold can give a source for her figures. I won't be receiving AstraZeneca myself, but it's good to have sources so anyone considering their options can make a choice based on correct information.

growstuff Sun 04-Jul-21 07:57:28

Apart from efficacy, what is your objection to the AstraZeneca vaccine?

M0nica Sun 04-Jul-21 08:01:18

There is actually very little to choose between Pfizer and Astra Zenica. As I read it the 76% is after the first dose only, notafter havng both. It is also effective against the Delta variant www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1088/peer-review.

Personally 76% efficacy is alot better than the 0% that goes with delaying having any vaccine.

The flu vaccine has only 40-60% efficacy www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm but most people have that without question every winter.

Marydoll Sun 04-Jul-21 08:02:20

W all have our reasons for not taking certain named vaccines, and that should be respected, but I have to say, that although I had severe side effects, (not unsual for me and was expected), I am delighted that the AZ has done the job it was supposed to do for me. I really thought I would have to shield for much longer. (or forever)

As for the figures Cold has quoted, some people may be influenced by the low number, which is why we should always state our source.
Unfortunately I can't physically produce my consultant to prove my 86 % is accurate! wink

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 08:03:09

The risk of blood clots (family history) and those I know who have had it have tended to have strong side effects. It's also not being given to my age group anyway.

CafeAuLait Sun 04-Jul-21 08:03:56

That was for growstuff.