Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

self isolating

(10 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 19:22:21

In answer to flax yes you can get pinged through the wall my friend was …the reason none of us have put the app on our phones

I heard one of the radio presenters say he had a ping congratulating him on his last day of isolation however he hadn’t been isolating as no idea he should have been ?

flaxwoven Sun 25-Jul-21 18:57:01

Any ideas, anyone? My husband and myself were pinged last Sunday evening 18th July saying we had to isolate for 10 days as we had been in contact with someone who had Covid. I realise this means for 15 mins or more. Looking into the settings on the App it says the contact was on Friday 16th July but it doesn't say where. My husband was at home all day. I was having a coffee outdoors with 2 friends. The two friends have not been "pinged". Our next-door neighbour is a divorced man in his 40's who doesn't speak to us, but we noticed he hasn't been out for about a week and his car hasn't moved. Can the "ping" come from a near neighbour? We are puzzled.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 23-Jul-21 20:43:24

You don't have to answer your phone to them, just saying

JaneJudge Fri 23-Jul-21 19:20:48

no one contacts you
my son tested positive and was in the same house as us and we were never told via the app or otherwise
we were just responsible, isolated, tested etc sought advice, isolated
no end of people just wont bother

ginny Fri 23-Jul-21 19:11:32

The problem with the ‘ping’ is that the person who has Covid may have been at the same venue as you but not necessarily at the same time.

Kate1949 Fri 23-Jul-21 18:08:18

My husband was 'pinged' and told to 'isolate for one day'. We couldn't understand this and investigated further. It turned out that he had been in contact 9 days before with someone who had tested positive. They only contacted him on what should have been his 9th day of isolation. So he could have been spreading it to all and sundry because he didn't know. Fortunately he hadn't really been anywhere.

Teacheranne Fri 23-Jul-21 17:48:14

Riverwalk

^It would only be following you registering your presence at a venue^

This is incorrect.

If someone tests positive they are contacted by Track & Trace and have to provide details of people they've been in contact with.

So if you have lunch with a neighbour and she tests positive, you may be contacted.

Very true Riverwalk, I had an outside lunch with a group of friends, one felt ill that night and tested positive in a PCR test. She was contacted by Track and Trace and had to tell them the names of the host and those sitting beside her. - luckily she also knew their phone numbers. These three people were then contacted and told to self isolate. Track and trace said that everyone else was fine as we were sitting further away. The process was very thorough with follow up phones calls to check they were isolating - only the household of my friend with Covid had to isolate, the other households were fine as they were not first degree contacts.

Incidentally my friend is in her forties and double jabbed with no underlying health conditions but was still very poorly and spent 24 hours in hospital being monitored for breathing problems. Her breathing is still affected six weeks later.

Riverwalk Fri 23-Jul-21 16:26:05

It would only be following you registering your presence at a venue

This is incorrect.

If someone tests positive they are contacted by Track & Trace and have to provide details of people they've been in contact with.

So if you have lunch with a neighbour and she tests positive, you may be contacted.

shysal Fri 23-Jul-21 15:40:53

I heard on TV that you can get a phone call asking you to isolate, which is legally binding. It would only be following you registering your presence at a venue. Self isolating following a ping from the app is recommended, but only from the phone call is it mandatory.
I know a lot of people have uninstalled the app because of too many pings.

Fennel Fri 23-Jul-21 15:27:56

Is there a thread about this? If so I can't find it.
My question is, if you haven't got the App you can't be contacted?