Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is it just me who is terrified of the way this country and the whole world is turning out

(167 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Sun 25-Jul-21 10:07:33

Over a year into this pandemic with no end in sight, in fact things have gotten worse than ever before. Now they have mandated that care home workers need to have the covid vaccine in order to continue working in care, which is already under staffed and under paid. I am from England but currently live in Wales, I also work in care (tested every single week and I worked my backside off when we had covid outbreak as we was extremely short staffed), and I am in fear of losing my job and my livelihood.

I am almost 30 years old, I have no health conditions, I eat a healthy diet and keep very fit. I have made an informed choice by myself that I do not want to have the vaccine, based on my research but also because I really don't need it. The vaccine does not stop transmission or catching the virus so what's the point me having an experimental vaccine for? I am feeling very on edge about all of this. Slowly I feel like I will no longer be allowed to go on holiday, go abroad, go to pubs, clubs, or any other venues, maybe even supermarkets - unless I am forced to get the vaccine. Is anyone not seriously worried about this? It's not about the virus at all.. Its all about coercion and control by this government and politicians. David Icke predicted this was going to happen and he was absolutely right. They're not talking about cashless and staff less society and in supermarkets where cameras will follow you everywhere... What the hell is this? I never thought to say this but I am really frightened. sad I have yet to see a lot more in this world but please someone must see that there is something very sinister going on?

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 19:53:15

H1N1 (swine flu) is now included in the annual flu jab. Swine flu has a low case fatality rate.

Callistemon Tue 27-Jul-21 19:42:24

Lincslass

Was it swine flu I wonder. As a Nurse was given that one.

Yes, probably.
I was ill afterwards, in bed for two or three days as I had a bad reaction to it.

Callistemon Tue 27-Jul-21 19:41:09

Summerlove

PurpleStar

Am I the only one who remembers the bad Sars outbreak in 2002-2004? I remember being told to take my younger children,then aged around 11&12,to a church hall at a certain time where they were doing mass vaccinations.I got asked if I had an egg allergy,I don't,then I got promptly jabbed with pretty much no choice! Aparently this helped prevent a huge outbreak that potentially could have become a Pandemic.No one questioned the vaccines etc.Covid 19 is a form of Sars,and over the years there has and will be other strains breaking through.I don't live in uk but I'm British and don't live too far away.It is a personal choice whether to have the vaccine,I jumped at the chance and thankfully all my children who are now aged between 22-32 happily got vaccinated through thier jobs.I for one sleep a little easier knowing they are protected.Even if you've decided not to have the jab for now,you have the free will to change your mind at any time.Please read information from NHS websites only.Stay safe x

But there wasn’t a SARS vaccine? They started working on one around then which is the one that has become the vaccine for COVID-19 , but there was no vaccine given during that time frame for SARS

No, there wasn't.
We were in Hong Kong during the SARS outbreak in 2003, only for relatively short while, but had our temperatures taken at HKIA, not at the hotel, some wore masks, some did not.

Lincslass Tue 27-Jul-21 19:39:45

Was it swine flu I wonder. As a Nurse was given that one.

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 19:11:18

There were just four cases of SARS in the UK. I certainly don't remember being offered any vaccine.

"During the period of infection, there were 8,098 reported cases of SARS and 774 deaths. This means the virus killed about 1 in 10 people who were infected."

www.nhs.uk/conditions/sars/

Although the mortality rate was high, there nowhere near so many cases of SARS as there have been of Covid-19 and the UK was almost unaffected.

Summerlove Tue 27-Jul-21 18:47:13

PurpleStar

Am I the only one who remembers the bad Sars outbreak in 2002-2004? I remember being told to take my younger children,then aged around 11&12,to a church hall at a certain time where they were doing mass vaccinations.I got asked if I had an egg allergy,I don't,then I got promptly jabbed with pretty much no choice! Aparently this helped prevent a huge outbreak that potentially could have become a Pandemic.No one questioned the vaccines etc.Covid 19 is a form of Sars,and over the years there has and will be other strains breaking through.I don't live in uk but I'm British and don't live too far away.It is a personal choice whether to have the vaccine,I jumped at the chance and thankfully all my children who are now aged between 22-32 happily got vaccinated through thier jobs.I for one sleep a little easier knowing they are protected.Even if you've decided not to have the jab for now,you have the free will to change your mind at any time.Please read information from NHS websites only.Stay safe x

But there wasn’t a SARS vaccine? They started working on one around then which is the one that has become the vaccine for COVID-19 , but there was no vaccine given during that time frame for SARS

Gossamerbeynon1945 Mon 26-Jul-21 20:32:12

I am very sorry if she is (having issues in another part of her life). What I wrote is just my opinion, that people can take or leave, up to them. No-one could have been more frightened of the vaccine, than I was, as I seem to have every allergy in the book but I listened to what my daughter said, bit the bullet and had both.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Jul-21 20:24:13

But they have the right to put carers at risk, it seems.

Newatthis Mon 26-Jul-21 20:22:52

Seriously, you believe him?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Yes you do have the right to choose but you do not have the right to put vulnerable people at risk. If you don't like the fact that you might lose your job then work somewhere where your not coming into contact with people....ever. There were thousands of people who also felt as you do, that as they were fit and healthy that they didn't need it also - they (or a loved one) are now dead. But hey ...it's your choice!

MissAdventure Mon 26-Jul-21 20:22:16

You may do if you were having issues elsewhere in your life, as it seems itsawelshthing is.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Mon 26-Jul-21 20:08:20

My daughter is a nurse, who has worked her rear end off right through this pandemic. She caught Covid off a patient, but because she had had both vaccines, she got off lightly, and was ill for only one or two days. She has watched people die from this horrible virus.

I don't think I would take opinions from the likes of Katie Hopkins and David Icke and that nurse,who has been struck off and is, in my opinion, a disgrace to her profession.

varian Mon 26-Jul-21 18:53:06

I am glad that Iitsaweshthing . although she is a young person, has chosen to come on Gransnet, because she has received excellent advice which I hope she is paying heed to.

Pammie1 Mon 26-Jul-21 18:49:56

You sound very anxious and it’s very concerning that you think something sinister is going on behind the vaccine programme. Please don’t listen to anything David Icke says. He’s a racist, he thinks we’re all lizards, and he holds the belief that all people born with a disability are being punished for something terrible they did in a former life. Why would you give any of his opinions credence to the point where you would cause yourself this level of anxiety ? If people like him had their way, smallpox, measles and polio would still be rife - the Covid vaccine is no different from the ones keeping other dreadful diseases at bay.

Start by talking to your GP and get some proper balanced advice. No, the vaccine won’t stop you getting or passing on Covid, but it will likely stop you being seriously affected and it will definitely help to protect the vulnerable among the population. Knowledge is power, so arm yourself with some and stop listening to crackpot conspiracy theorists.

mymadeupname Mon 26-Jul-21 18:46:26

Itsawelshthing

I understand what you are all saying but I still think it is wrong to mandate vaccines. I've no idea why my post has been reported for?

It has been reported for the same reasons that David Icke has been removed from Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

In a nutshell, for spreading dangerous misinformation, ie promoting controversial unproven claims about the coronavirus pandemic.

The sooner we are all double-jabbed the better. The scientists are the people to listen to, not David Icke. The person you are putting most at risk is yourself, as well as the people you care for. Please stop listening to conspiracy theorists. Instead, listen to the scientists. They aren't controversial and while they lack glamour and showmanship, they, uniquely, know what they're talking about.

varian Mon 26-Jul-21 18:35:58

My teenage grandchildren who are lucky enough to live in the EU have had their jabs but my teenage grandchildren in the UK have not had the opportunity to to be vaccinated.

If there are folk in the 18-30 age group who refuse the jabs, please offer them to teenagers, which will reduce transmissiom when they go back to school/

Lincslass Mon 26-Jul-21 17:41:46

Excellent and puts relevant points over clearly. Very sad to hear of fit young people succumbing to this virus, when vaccination could have saved them.

PurpleStar Mon 26-Jul-21 16:53:50

Welshwife Mon 26-Jul-21 16:38:29

I don’t think it’s a Welsh thing can wake up and get over it. If she is still reading these threads I think she needs kind medical help and be signed off work for a while. She is working very hard looking after people and must be worn out physically as well as mentally. She is about 50 years younger than me and firstly needs to get herself well and in a better frame of mind before she can be expected to evaluate the position we are in and make a decision.
Look after yourself itsawelshthing you have much of your life before you and you need to be generally healthy in mind and body to live a full and happy life. Please talk to someone and look after yourself.

Gwyneth Mon 26-Jul-21 16:28:26

I don’t agree with your views re vaccinationitsawelshthing but after reading more of your posts I am concerned about you and your mental health. As other posters have said please contact mental health services or ring your doctor sooner rather than later.

SueDonim Mon 26-Jul-21 15:17:53

This guy also refused the vaccine, indeed, he made fun of it. He’s dead now.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57958358

Shelflife Mon 26-Jul-21 15:01:44

Itsawelshthing , please please visit your GP. You need mental health care. I am sorry if you loose your job, but what do you expect? You are caring for vulnerable people who deserve safe care. Do you really believe that being young , eating well and being fit will protect you from Covid!? If we were all vaccination refusers where would lots of us be now - in coffins I imagine. We know the vaccine is not 100% but we must take advantage of it. I sincerely hope you do not catch Covid but if you are unfortunate enough to do so you will no doubt be grateful for the expert care you receive and if hospitalized you will be discharged a well woman. However many patients are now dealing with Long Covid which will probably affect the rest of their lives.
Many of us sound harsh on this thread but that is out of pure exasperation !! Please rethink your decision, I fail to understand why you are prepared to put yourself and others at risk. THIS IS A KILLER. For goodness sake wake up , get real . I have no patience at all with your decision. I respect your right to refuse but don't moan about loosing your job . You are clearly very distressed and need help and support, please seek that help. All your anxiety about vaccination will disappear once you have had it. Simple solution get vaccinated asap.

Polarbear2 Mon 26-Jul-21 13:10:17

Jaxjacky

Antonia if you’d read all my posts I reported it because of the OP’s espousing of David Icke, who is, amongst other things, a racist. Not because of her vaccine reluctance.

Actually Jax I was within a hairs breadth of reporting it too. On the basis of the tone and the conspiracy theories mentioned. I didn’t because I wasn’t sure it was reportable but I don’t blame you. I read it as a very sinister posting.

M0nica Mon 26-Jul-21 08:54:29

Lucca I think almost everyone has views that others consider irrational, and I fully respect the OP's right not to have the vaccination, although I do think there is more honour and self respect in doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, ie facing the evidence for the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine and then turning it down rather than, as it seems at present, having an instinctive response of not wanting the vaccine and then justifying it with fallacious reasoning.

On her wider fears, she sounds to me as if she is depressed, and she does speak of being on the edge of a breakdown, and that I think is the nub of the matter. I do think she should seek medical help for her mental issues.

Antonia Mon 26-Jul-21 08:47:28

Antonia if you’d read all my posts I reported it because of the OP’s espousing of David Icke, who is, amongst other things, a racist. Not because of her vaccine reluctance.
So, you don't agree with the posters opinion of someone else? To me, that still sounds like a normal discussion and not a valid reason to get a thread taken down. People have opinions of other people. There are some people whose views I don't agree with, but I don't try to silence anyone who mentions them.

Jaxjacky Mon 26-Jul-21 08:34:40