Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Flu and booster jabs together?

(19 Posts)
grannygranby Sat 25-Sep-21 11:23:32

I have just been informed that when I go for my flu jab appointment I will be also offered booster covid jab. Instinct says don’t overload body but I can see how this helps nhs in appointments what do you think? Do you think side effects might be worse I’m Ok till now on side effects singly. And of course it would be convenient all round to have them both together. All research seems to be on the efficacy of the vaccine when combined not whether side effects are worse. I think I might have them one at a time.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:25:40

I’ve been thinking the same.

Sometimes - not always - I get quite a nasty reaction with the flu jab which last for days.

The thought of reacting at the same time to covid does not fill me with joy.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 11:26:47

I had my flu and shingles jab together a couple of years ago. No side effects from either and it saved time (mine and the nurse’s) and on administration.

Daisend1 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:47:47

My flu vac boost is carried out at my local surgery and booster Covid at the health centre.

Oldwoman70 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:59:06

This question was asked on local radio the other day - the epidemiologist answered that there is no problem with having both at the same time.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 12:57:22

I had my shingles and pneumonia together but I ve read that you need to leave a week between the flu and the booster jab

growstuff Sat 25-Sep-21 14:04:23

BlueBelle

I had my shingles and pneumonia together but I ve read that you need to leave a week between the flu and the booster jab

That was the original NHS advice, but it seems to have changed.

LadyGracie Sat 25-Sep-21 14:11:07

Our health board here in Wales sent out appointment letters saying that the flu and covid booster would be given together, now they've changed their minds.

Deedaa Sat 25-Sep-21 14:19:08

I had my flu jab this morning. Not due the Covid booster for a couple of weeks but I don't think that having both together would be a problem. The clinic I was at this morning had people who were having both.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 14:23:48

Thanks growstuff changing daily by the sound of it
I haven’t been called up for the booster yet but it said six months after and I had my second one end of April so I m guessing end of October
It ll all work out in the end

Kim19 Sat 25-Sep-21 14:24:27

I've decided (with nothing more than personal instinct) to only accept one at a time. I realise that this may put me away to the back of some queue for the second one. That's the downside of my decision which I have to live with.

growstuff Sat 25-Sep-21 19:26:25

I've had my flu vaccine and can't have the Covid booster until mid November, so it doesn't affect me.

3dognight Sat 25-Sep-21 19:31:50

Have a good few weeks between them.
I had flu jab and then Covid first jab within two weeks of each other and was ill for weeks. I would definitely leave a good gap.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:33:31

BlueBelle

They are offering both together at our surgery.
I said I would wait for a while as 6 vaccines within 10 months worries me (I had a pneumonia vaccine last year too).

I was I'll after having a flu vaccine and swine flu vaccine at the same time.

Time will tell if this is the right decision ?

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:34:46

ill not I'll

Witzend Sat 25-Sep-21 20:37:07

I think I’d rather not. A friend had the shingles and the flu jabs at the same time, and had a very painful arm for quite a while.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 20:41:06

Witzend

I think I’d rather not. A friend had the shingles and the flu jabs at the same time, and had a very painful arm for quite a while.

You would normally have them in different arms.

Kate1949 Sun 26-Sep-21 09:57:57

There was a picture of Joan Collins in the paper last week having the flu jab in one arm and the Covid booster in the other. She said she was thrilled to bits. She's 88 and reported no problems afterwards.

grannygranby Sun 26-Sep-21 11:05:22

thanks luckily I don't have to decide till I turn up...(next Saturday) by then there might be more info? inclined just to have the 'flu as it will be 3 weeks short of six months for the booster anyway, might cling on to that. Though very aware it would help them but two achy arms at the best ...rather not.