Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

AIBU

(19 Posts)
ninathenana Thu 28-Oct-21 11:04:01

I know we should all still be being careful but when my son's day centre re opened after lock down and for several weeks after they didn't need a negative test to attend.
They had one attendee with a positive test approx 6 wks ago but they are still having to test each day they attend.
With lots of overseas travel restrictions lifted regarding testing and track and trace in bars cafès seems to have stopped do you think this is necessary ?

Ro60 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:10:06

Of course!

ElderlyPerson Thu 28-Oct-21 11:20:52

> ... do you think this is necessary ?

Yes.

My opinion of the answer is not based at all on what are the rules regarding overseas travel restrictions, or bar and cafés, the answer is about the children and a disease and doing what can be done to try to avoid the children getting infected with it. Better cautious than reckless.

ninathenana Thu 28-Oct-21 11:59:05

ElderlyPerson he's not a child. He is 30 and he attends a centre for adults

ElderlyPerson Thu 28-Oct-21 13:51:51

I did not realise that, I thought the question was referring to pre-school children.

Casdon Thu 28-Oct-21 13:59:24

Yes it’s still necessary as some of the attendees will be immune compromised, and won’t have received a booster jab yet so are vulnerable.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 28-Oct-21 14:33:15

It should still be necessary even if all concerned are fully vaccinated.

JillyJosie2 Thu 28-Oct-21 14:43:35

Several hundred deaths a day, nearly 9000 in intensive care, 40,000 + infections a day. If you look up the ONS (government) statistics you will find that most deaths are in the older sections of society, i.e. those double vaccinated and perhaps even having received a booster.

Yes, of course we should still be testing especially where people are mixing.

ElderlyPerson Thu 28-Oct-21 14:55:08

> 40,000 +

A little over a month ago this was a topical thread.

www.gransnet.com/forums/coronavirus/1301234-Why-are-there-around-thirty-thousand-new-COVID-19-cases-reported-every-day-in-the-UK

So even that level is history now.

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Oct-21 15:00:47

JillyJosie2

Several hundred deaths a day, nearly 9000 in intensive care, 40,000 + infections a day. If you look up the ONS (government) statistics you will find that most deaths are in the older sections of society, i.e. those double vaccinated and perhaps even having received a booster.

Yes, of course we should still be testing especially where people are mixing.

Average 130 deaths a day, 950 in intensive care.

Don't let's exaggerate.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Oct-21 16:24:44

But the level of infection is higher now than last winter according to Zoe.

That isn’t good.

Madgran77 Thu 28-Oct-21 16:29:16

Regardless of rules etc it seems wise to me

Ro60 Fri 29-Oct-21 01:58:21

My DD tested positive today with a sore throat hoping she's going to be ok. The numbers down here are ridiculously high - for some reason....

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 03:33:02

where is down here ?

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 03:33:58

OP, is there a reason you'd prefer them not to be testing at the centre ?

Eviebeanz Fri 29-Oct-21 05:52:37

I am in the process of recovering from covid -in my view it absolutely makes sense to keep testing.

annsixty Fri 29-Oct-21 06:45:38

I can see what nina means.
We are all mixing all the time now, shops are busy, cinemas, theatres, pubs and restaurants are all operating normally with only the minority wearing masks.
I go out very little but can’t recall when I was last asked for contact details, it was months ago.
I am now getting to the point when I feel herd immunity is desirable.

Esspee Fri 29-Oct-21 07:42:09

It can’t be easy having to test your son repeatedly ninathenana. I know I hate doing it to myself as I gag.
Sadly no one has come up with a non intrusive test so, to protect others, it has to be done.

JaneJudge Fri 29-Oct-21 07:48:33

presumably he is vulnerable and the other attendees are vulnerable too? I realise it might be difficult for him to test but the new flex flow LFTs just go up the nose, which might be easier? they are the ones the NHS send out at the moment

follow the instructions here to order some