Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid, not a cold

(23 Posts)
rosie1959 Thu 04-Nov-21 17:22:02

You are correct Lucca you are supposed to isolate until you receive results for obvious reasons

welbeck Thu 04-Nov-21 17:20:36

glammanana

I have been double jabbed and waiting to go for my booster,these past 2 weeks I have been very poorly/coughing/tired/no appetite I have taken lateral flow and PCR tests all negative so god only knows how people with C19 feel .

you have to wait for 28 days from first symptom i believe, til you can get the booster jab.

Lucca Thu 04-Nov-21 17:14:34

LilyoftheValley

I felt unwell last week and so drove to a testing centre on Friday. It was not until Tuesday that I was told, by text, from my surgery that I have the virus. I was told at the time, that i would be contacted , by phone, with the result. I did not have a call . Over the weekend I didn't travel because of feelin rough but did a little local shopping. If I had been notified officially, I would not have gone out. Masked and used hand sanitation every time I was out. Has anyone else missed o ut on a notification?

I thought you were supposed to isolate whilst waiting for the result,

tickingbird Thu 04-Nov-21 14:27:59

Just to add to all the above, it shows the effectiveness of the vaccine. I know an anti vaxxer, conspiracy theorist who is clinically vulnerable and had to stay indoors and have food left during the lockdowns. She is out and about everywhere and doesn’t catch it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone but it must only be a matter of time.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Nov-21 14:27:35

My grandsons covid was picked up on a LFT before he developed symptoms. The PCR test then confirmed it. DD was routinely testing him which is why she was able to isolate him and prevent him from infecting others.

ElaineI Thu 04-Nov-21 14:22:37

We haven't tested positive but had PCRs and the result comes within 24 hours on your mobile and by email.

Lincslass Thu 04-Nov-21 14:16:30

If you use the ZOE app, symptoms have been changed as they have been note. Why the scientists advising the Government have not changed their directive, goodness only knows, and is rather criminal of them.Perhaps they think they know best, but I always follow Tim Spector for up to date advice.
Lateral flow tests are more effective than first thought, and should be everyone’s first choice, if positive, then a PCR Test. Lateral flow tests are free, so no reason not to do one. Unless of course you think you know better, and can tell a cold from Covid without one!!
www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

Calmlocket Thu 04-Nov-21 13:40:53

Being in lockdown, isolating, mask wearing, hand sanitisers have all had an effect on our immune system over the last 20 months. Also the stress added, its lowered our immune system so whilst we may get a cold or other illness its a lot worse than it would have been and harder to fight off.

LilyoftheValley Thu 04-Nov-21 13:29:50

I felt unwell last week and so drove to a testing centre on Friday. It was not until Tuesday that I was told, by text, from my surgery that I have the virus. I was told at the time, that i would be contacted , by phone, with the result. I did not have a call . Over the weekend I didn't travel because of feelin rough but did a little local shopping. If I had been notified officially, I would not have gone out. Masked and used hand sanitation every time I was out. Has anyone else missed o ut on a notification?

Alegrias1 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:22:12

That's not the whole story MaizieD

If you think you have the symptoms of Covid you're meant to self isolate and book a PCR Test. If you are already infected an LFT will not tell you with enough accuracy whether or not you have the disease.

So if the 21+ symptoms are made "official" symptoms, that means everyone with a bit of a rash or a headache has to self isolate and get a PCR test. IMO, that's unsustainable.

This is the story in Scotland of course. rUK might be different.

MaizieD Thu 04-Nov-21 13:05:31

There are 21 symptoms and nandad says her symptoms aren't even on the list. Are we now to treat any little ache, pain, upset tummy or sneezing fit as a sign we might have Covid and instantly self isolate and use up resources getting a PCR?

I thought the idea was that you did an LFT and only went for a PCR if the LFT came out positive? What's wrong with that?

glammanana Thu 04-Nov-21 13:00:08

I have been double jabbed and waiting to go for my booster,these past 2 weeks I have been very poorly/coughing/tired/no appetite I have taken lateral flow and PCR tests all negative so god only knows how people with C19 feel .

Calmlocket Thu 04-Nov-21 09:49:00

@ nandad, I personally think they are just covering their backs, from the onset theyve screwed everything up and are still doing so!

nandad Thu 04-Nov-21 09:43:11

Alegrias, thank you. I agree that we shouldn’t be worrying about every twinge we get as it being Covid. I only did the first test to appease my son because I had never done one. It wasn’t until I lost my sense of taste on day 3 that I did another one and tested positive.
Calmlocket - it does seem that way but I do think that the government should be making us more aware that there are other symptoms we should perhaps be aware of.

Calmlocket Thu 04-Nov-21 09:24:28

Its coming across that any ailment is being added to this extensive list! even the covid tests are far from being accurate.

Lucca Thu 04-Nov-21 09:19:06

I’m with you on that but I was just reporting what an actual medical person said to me !

Nortsat Thu 04-Nov-21 09:18:30

A friend who has been ultra careful because her partner is Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, was shocked to do a test and find she had it.
She felt unwell for a couple of days and didn’t have the obvious symptoms.

She was double jabbed, too.

She has no idea how she picked it up ...

Alegrias1 Thu 04-Nov-21 09:15:42

Oh dear, I'm going to make myself unpopular.

So first, sorry to hear you've tested positive nandad and I hope your symptoms don't get any worse. flowers. Lucca, you too with your stomach pains

There are 21 symptoms and nandad says her symptoms aren't even on the list. Are we now to treat any little ache, pain, upset tummy or sneezing fit as a sign we might have Covid and instantly self isolate and use up resources getting a PCR? When will this end?

Lucca Thu 04-Nov-21 09:10:35

I was on a phone consultation with gastro consultant and talking about stomach pains…he actually said “are you sure you haven’t got Covid?”

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Nov-21 08:48:30

The government has failed to update the most common symptoms that is the problem.

So the most common symptoms now could well be mistaken for a cold, which is a real issue.

Lucca Thu 04-Nov-21 08:47:58

Sorry I ve found the list

Lucca Thu 04-Nov-21 08:47:10

There are now 21 symptoms to watch out for

What are they ?

nandad Thu 04-Nov-21 08:41:36

Just a warning to people.
Today I tested positive for Covid. I don’t have a cough or a high temperature, in fact it’s the most comfortable I’ve felt for ages (menopause)! My symptoms were consistent with sinusitis, which I have experienced a number of times and I only lost my sense of taste on day 3.
We have continued to wear masks when inside, use hand sanitizer going in and out of places, washed our hands regularly and kept our distance but I still managed to get it. If I can then anyone can. Thankfully I’m double vaccinated, my husband triple, and I’m not feeling too bad.
My point is don’t assume that because you don’t have any of the three common symptoms that it’s not Covid. There are now 21 symptoms to watch out for, not all of my symptoms are on that list and they are very mild. Doing a lateral flow test takes minutes, don’t only do one if your symptoms continue or change - I tested negative 24 hours previously and don’t think it won’t happen to you.