Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is everyone doing LFT twice a week?

(105 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 05-Nov-21 20:13:09

I haven't been doing LFTs as I almost never go anywhere.
However, I've been told I should do them twice weekly anyway.

Are you all doing them? And registering the results?

FarNorth Mon 08-Nov-21 23:10:52

Thank you for that info growstuff.

maddyone Thu 11-Nov-21 22:27:09

I’m testing and reporting regularly now. I have to in order to visit my elderly mother in her care home. I’ve been told the new lateral flows are better at picking up positive results than the original ones, I’ve no idea whether this is true or not.

Pepper59 Wed 08-Dec-21 01:58:08

I do an LFT if im visiting people or attending an event. I report the results.

FarNorth Wed 08-Dec-21 02:28:32

When I got my booster I asked the nurse about this.
It took her a few tries to actually understand that there are weeks on end when I go nowhere & see no-one other than the relative who lives with me (who also goes nowhere).
She then said that No, there is no need to do LFT unless I am having contact with others.

Grandma2213 Wed 08-Dec-21 03:06:30

I do LFT before I go to weekly choir to ensure that I am 'unlikely' to infect anyone. I only ever see family apart from that or a quick visit to the supermarket occasionally. This week I did an extra one as a friend came to visit in my house. I always report the negative result online. After filling it in once the information always comes up the same so it's very quick and easy to complete. Also the test is now only nasal so I only suffer from sneezing rather than straining my stomach with the gagging. Nothing is perfect but it seems to be better than nothing.

TopsyIrene06 Wed 08-Dec-21 07:21:15

Yes.

love0c Wed 08-Dec-21 08:52:40

No. Never done one! Had all vaccinations. They either protect or they don't. I am with Theresa May.

Witzend Wed 08-Dec-21 08:56:10

We have done them a few times, before some meet up with friends/family, just to be on the safe side.
They’re no big deal.

Rather more of a PITA are the monthly swab and fingerprick antibody tests we do for the ONS, but at least we get vouchers for doing those.

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 09:08:05

love0c

No. Never done one! Had all vaccinations. They either protect or they don't. I am with Theresa May.

You could be asymptomatic and unwittingly infect others.
We are still testing twice a week.
My daughter had no symptoms and tested positive.
It is no big deal to do it.

Violettham Wed 08-Dec-21 09:09:55

Nonogran My thought exactly. This use of initials is the thing I hate about this site, Maybe I am stupid but sometimes they take longer to work out than it would for me to type them

Elegran Wed 08-Dec-21 09:10:08

love0c

But how will you know whether they have completely protected you, or if you have it in a mild way which can still be passed on to others? You could be one of those that the antivaxxers are saying are a danger!

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 08-Dec-21 09:16:48

Agree Elegran, we triple vaccinated can still catch it and pass it on. There’s just less time to do it, as the antibodies kill ( hopefully), the virus quicker than someone unvaccinated.

I do the new lateral flow test when meeting with someone. Doesn’t involve the throat, just the nose. Much easier and less traumatic.

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 09:25:26

I meant to say that both my daughter and son in law were triple vaccinated and still caught it. The only place they had been in a week was the vaccination hub!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 08-Dec-21 09:56:36

No just when I feel the need

maddyone Wed 08-Dec-21 10:33:09

I do twice weekly, probably more than twice weekly, lateral flow tests, because I need to do them in order to visit my elderly mother in her care home. I always register them too. It’s not difficult to do. On Google type in report a lateral flow test and click on the government site. Then follow the simple directions, it’s easy. I think we should report the test result, even if we don’t need to for care home visits, because it enables the scientists to monitor where the virus is at any time.

Sago Wed 08-Dec-21 10:58:33

The Chinese must be loving this!
Create a virus,spread it and then build an economy on managing it.

wildswan16 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:20:17

I am doing them before I go anywhere that I mix with other people. So before church, before I go to my voluntary job, before visiting anybody in their home etc.

It reassures me that I am not going to be responsible for passing on the virus.

Grandmagrim Wed 08-Dec-21 11:36:01

Yes, to not do them risks the health of other people (incase you have it asymptomaticly)

Two adults in my house who are double jabbed have had it and one double + booster has had it. I haven’t had it but I believe my immunity was boosted by a very very nasty bout of it last year (I’m also double+booster)

Too many people seem to have the attitude that once vaccinated they don’t need to bother and many more are now of the mindset -thanks to boris and his one rule for us one rule for them mentality - that if the government don’t bother to follow rules why should they.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 08-Dec-21 11:45:01

I have ordered a pack of 7 but not used them as I don't really go anywhere - do everything online and stay within my 'bubble' who also don't go far, except my SIL who is Head of Care in a Nursing Home and takes one daily before work .... if I had any symptoms I would take one but otherwise not sure why I would take one really?

Rosalyn69 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:46:57

Usually one a week before I go out. I do report the result. It’s no big deal to do it.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 08-Dec-21 12:24:28

Never done one, never will. Who told you you should?

Oldnproud Wed 08-Dec-21 12:36:32

Free rapid testing is offered to everyone.On the 17 November 2021, there was an update to the asymptomatic testing guidance, where members of the public in England are encouraged to take a rapid test before a period of high risk, replacing the advice to take rapid flow tests twice weekly.

www.somerset.gov.uk/coronavirus/covid-19-lateral-flow-test/

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 19:46:18

For those who do not/ have never tested, as someone who is CEV, I received this text tonight.

GOV.SCOT
We are encouraging everyone to do lateral flow tests before mixing with others this winter. That means going to a bar or restaurant, going to someone's house or even shopping.

This will help reduce the spread of the virus and the pressure on the NHS.

Tests are quick and easy to do and new tests available now only need a nose swab. Free kits can be collected from your local pharmacy or local testsite
https://www.nhsinform.scot/testing has more information on ordering online, as well as where you can collect your testing kits from locally.

It does make sense.

M0nica Wed 08-Dec-21 19:49:37

Did my first one several weeks ago, plus I have had two PCR (?)

I am not a hermet and have been on holiday.

Elegran Wed 08-Dec-21 19:53:08

HowVeryDareYou

Never done one, never will. Who told you you should?

Your own conscience ought to. If you have it without symptoms, you could give it to a lot of others because you don't know to stay away from them.