Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Ineffictiveness of Covid vaccines for the immunocompromised.

(112 Posts)
Marydoll Sun 21-Nov-21 19:40:12

There have been a few discussions recently, where some posters insisted that there was no such thing as a Third Primary Vaccine for those who are immunosuppressed, it was just the same as a booster. It isn't.

I have just read an article in the Sunday papers, which reported that a number of immunosuppressed patients in England and Wales are seriously ill in hospital with Covid, because their GP had no knowledge of the requirement to get a third primary dose, nor the urgency of needing one, rather than a booster.
Some patients were found to have had little resistance to Covid, despite having had two vaccinations. In other words, for them the vaccine was ineffective.
As someone, who is immunocompromised, I was horrified to read this.

Marydoll Wed 15-Dec-21 14:10:54

Thank you for posting this, JillyJosie

JillyJosie2 Wed 15-Dec-21 13:58:50

In case anyone hasn't seen this, it's a useful article about the muddle and misunderstanding around 3rd primary and booster jabs.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/15/booster-jabs-vulnerable-people-covid-vaccine

Iam64 Tue 14-Dec-21 08:15:37

Good to hear things are ok Helen657

I’m having a word with myself about keeping positive. I’m finding the continued concern about variants trying. We took two of our grandchildren to the theatre this week. The production was fantastic, we were all enthralled, the audience of families clearly enjoyed it as much as we did. Most people complied with mask wearing but not all. I questioned what level of risk I was taking but it was such a joyous thing to do.

It’s that balance between life affirming experiences and hiding away

nanna8 Tue 14-Dec-21 05:38:20

I just wandered into the local chemist and got a booster shot. No waiting, no appointment. Funny because at the GP clinic I would have had to wait until January. They also asked which type of vaccine I wanted. Better service than the docs, I have to say.

Calistemon Sat 11-Dec-21 13:24:39

DH also managed to pass covid to his 86 & 87 year old parents who fortunately were both asymptomatic (only had PCRs due to hospital procedures so wouldn’t have known they’d had it otherwise).

It's strange, isn't it Helen657.
I do hope you feel better soon.

I tried to speak to someone about the third vaccine/booster query as I couldn't attend the appointment at a large centre miles away anyway, but could only leave a message (three times) and no-one got back to me.
So I decided to go for the booster at the surgery today ? that will suffice.

Helen657 Sat 11-Dec-21 11:52:13

Iam64

Helen657 - hope you recover well, please let us know

Hi Iam64 & Marydoll
I’m surviving! Still got hacking cough and most cold symptoms plus very, very tired. Funnily enough I’ve just read the thread about the “non covid hacking cough” and it sounds very similar (apart from my positive pcr!). Makes me wonder if I was unfortunate enough to get both covid AND a bad cold - who knows!!!
DH also managed to pass covid to his 86 & 87 year old parents who fortunately were both asymptomatic (only had PCRs due to hospital procedures so wouldn’t have known they’d had it otherwise).
Hope everyone is keeping well x

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 13:42:02

Goodluck!Its such a worry!

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 13:38:53

I don't really want to have either, Marydoll but I know it's sensible.

However, I'd prefer to have the Pfizer one, if it's Moderna I may refuse it having heard about a number of adverse reactions o it.
I'm booked with the GP, she may know more.

Marydoll Tue 07-Dec-21 13:30:58

Calistemon, my letter invited me for a 'flu vaccination and a booster if I was eligible. When I got to the appointment, I mentioned I was immunocompromised and that I was due a third primary. After checking my records, they agreed and offered me AZ, which I refused. After explaining my reasons, I had the Pfizer.

Missedout Tue 07-Dec-21 11:09:19

I should have posted the link to the source of my information:-
BloodCancer UK

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 10:47:19

I've been invited for a vaccine at a large centre a distance from here but cannot find out if it's a 3rd vaccine or a booster.

I also have an appointment for a booster at the GP surgery!

Yet still no-one who is administering these can tell me the difference. I'm going for the booster but can't cancel the other appointment, have phoned 3 times, hung on for 15 minutes each time and left messages but still the letters/texts/emails keep coming!

Missedout Tue 07-Dec-21 10:42:39

I have been taking part in a study of vaccine efficacy in the immunocompromised. I don't wish to be critical but there have been glitches and I had reason to query why I had not been expected to supply a blood spot test after my 3rd Primary vaccine.

After a flurry of emails, I had a phone call from the team confirming that I needed to carry out blood tests now and just before my booster and four weeks after it.

The only problem was that the immunology team understood that my booster would be 6 months after the 3rd Primary.

It is not - the booster following the 3rd Primary will be 3 months afterwards. Even my team were not aware of this and it wasn't until I sent them a link to the Cancer UK website that my 'instructions' were revised.

Apparently the government website has not been updated recently and suitable guidance is not available.

There is a maze of misinformation out there.

Grannynannywanny Tue 07-Dec-21 10:14:11

I just caught the end of Morning Live this morning and apparently they’d had a vaccine and covid discussion earlier in the programme. They squeezed in one last question that a caller had texted in to the show.

She stated she’d had 3 vaccines and asked the resident doctor Rupy Aujila if and when she requires a booster. The doctor burst out laughing along with the other 2 presenters and said if she’s had 3 then she’s obviously had her booster.

He is an NHS GP and he laughed off the woman’s question as if she was clueless when in fact he’s the clueless expert. It’s no wonder people who are CEV are finding it difficult to access clear information when the BBC are paying NHS doctors a fee to sit there broadcasting misinformation ?

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 19:13:03

Marydoll no-one seems to have any idea here. I was invited for a booster but asked some questions about having that and the flu vaccination at the same time and think I've been crossed off the list now.

Perhaps just as well as I may need the third vaccine anyway. Until I saw your thread I hadn't heard of it and my consultant has never mentioned it. Another point to clarify when speak to him next week when we have another telephone consultation.

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 18:10:58

You couldn't do it two weeks ago in Scotland. Vaccination helpline agents hadn't a clue and had never heard of a Third Primary.Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough, Lizzie.

That's great news for those who have still to get a Third Primary Vaccine.
Shame it wasn't so easy for some of us.

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 18:01:10

www.mygov.scot/covid-highest-risk/covid-vaccinations

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 17:37:33

Thanks, that's helpful Lizzie

I have already said previously that in Scotland the NHS Inform website had no information about this, until a couple of weeks ago and I am already aware of that information. However, people here, are still struggling to get a third Primary dose. I have that information from a friend who is a GP.

Here are the correct hyperlinks you provided, to save anyone having to cut and paste into your browser.

www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/the-vaccines/coronavirus-covid-19-third-dose-vaccination

www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/get-covid-19-vaccination-northern-ireland#toc-4

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-3rd-dose

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 17:30:26

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-3rd-dose/

www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/the-vaccines/coronavirus-covid-19-third-dose-vaccination

www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/get-covid-19-vaccination-northern-ireland

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 17:27:39

https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/the-vaccines/coronavirus-covid-19-third-dose-vaccination

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/get-covid-19-vaccination-northern-ireland#toc-4

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-3rd-dose/

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 16:40:14

Lizzie72

^https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/10/nhs-delivers-more-than-850000-top-up-jabs-to-most-at-risk/^

The link didn't work, so here it is again.
www.england.nhs.uk/2021/10/nhs-delivers-more-than-850000-top-up-jabs-to-most-at-risk

That's great news if you live in England.

NHS England
A total of 863,460 people have already had their top up jab, including boosters and some third doses, since the NHS launched its booster programme.

There are over 500,000 immunosuppressed people in England alone. The figure above includes boosters as well as a third vaccine, so still many patients still to get it.

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:26:42

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/10/nhs-delivers-more-than-850000-top-up-jabs-to-most-at-risk/

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 15:01:58

Thanks for that, Lizzie. However, a few weeks ago, there was little or no information available and it hasn't been disseminated to all those who should be informed.

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 14:58:30

www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-for-people-with-a-weakened-immune-system/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-people-with-a-weakened-immune-system

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine-3rd-dose/

Seems to be a fair bit of information about this online. My neighbour, currently undergoing chemo treatment, was routinely offered a third dose.

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 14:39:01

Fanny, I explained to the vaccinator about not having the AZ and she called for the person in charge. It was easily resolved.
However, you must make it clear that it is a third primary, not a booster, so that it will be noted on your Community Health Index that you will be called for a booster in six months time.
Assume nothing!

I checked with the vaccination helpline a week later, as suggested by the vaccinator and it is on my record that I will be called again in six months.

You certainly need to be on the ball!!!

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 14:08:42

Thank you. I am certainly not claiming to be an expert, but some knowledge is better than none! This difficulty has got my mushy brain working again, that can only be a good thing!
We need to support each other.