Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Unvaccinated Young Hairdresser: what would you do?

(62 Posts)
Northernlass Mon 29-Nov-21 10:48:10

Perhaps the subject says it all?!

At the hairdressers' last week my hairdresser (early 30s, single), in passing, said she'd not been vaccinated as "it's not been tested enough". She had covid (mild symptoms) last year during lockdown and thinks she'll have natural immunity. She says she does regular LF tests...
None of the hairdressers in the salon have been wearing masks since they stopped being mandatory.

I feel stupid that I'd not thought to ask her if she'd been vaccinated; I'd assumed so for a variety of reasons.

My DIL says people aren't allowed into her salon unless they're wearing a mask (it's very trendy) and was told off once when she took off her mask a little longer than expected to have a drink!

What have you been doing about going back to hair salons? Those with mobile hairdressers need not reply! :-)

MayBeMaw Mon 29-Nov-21 12:58:56

Now that face coverings are legally required in shops, I assume the same applies to hairdressers.

TillyTrotter Mon 29-Nov-21 13:02:00

I’m unsure on that but will read up MawBeMaw.
I’ve been to The Range shop this morning - it was very busy - and over 50% of the shoppers and assistants, who will be required to wear a mask from tomorrow are not doing so from today.
You couldn’t make it up could you?

TillyTrotter Mon 29-Nov-21 13:05:26

Face coverings .
Just looked it up: this is from today’s Mirror newspaper…..

rosie1959 Mon 29-Nov-21 13:09:43

MayBeMaw

Now that face coverings are legally required in shops, I assume the same applies to hairdressers.

According to gov.uk masks will be required in hairdressers banks and post offices

TerriBull Mon 29-Nov-21 13:22:13

The hairdressers I go to are evangelical about mask wearing, happy to comply with, although rather annoyingly they stipulate that clients must buy from them a bog standard medical mask for which they charge £3.50. These can be obtained all over the place for a fraction of the price. In fact they were the ones that I bought on line, at the beginning of the first lock down. I still have some unused ones left, but, no the client must purchase the mask from them which slightly pisses me off irritates me.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 29-Nov-21 13:24:50

I wouldn’t go there. I’ve actually stopped going to the hairdresser altogether, letting it go grey and as it’s long it’s easy for my husband to trim a bit off the ends. My bank balance is much healthier!

Zoejory Mon 29-Nov-21 13:27:23

the hairdressers I go to are evangelical about mask wearing, happy to comply with, although rather annoyingly they stipulate that clients must buy from them a bog standard medical mask for which they charge £3.50

TerriBull!

That has absolutely shocked me. And I don't shock easily

Take your custom elsewhere.

Northernlass Mon 29-Nov-21 13:27:39

Thanks everyone!

Reading through your replies has helped me crystalise my thoughts: I think being in the hairdresser's company for an hour, in close proximity, especially as she talks non-stop and loudly to be heard above the hairdryers, is too much of a risk.

I feel we should ditch any reserve and ask those in 'service' industries if they've been vaccinated; we're then able to come to an informed decision.

Stay safe & well, and thanks once again.

MiniMoon Mon 29-Nov-21 13:38:13

At my hairdressers shop all the stylists wear masks and visors, and are all double vaccinated. I wear my mask throughout the visit. They provide hand sanitiser as you arrive, and the salon is laid out to provide social distancing.
None of this has changed since coming out of the first lockdown,
I feel very safe going there.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 14:08:16

Kali2

The thing is, you are not really allowed to ask, and if you do, they have not forced to tell the truth. Same in hsopitals, same in care homes, etc!!!

No, that's true. Is it an intrusion of privacy to ask? Should we be allowed to ask so as to make an informed decision?

And she could just answer 'Yes, of course' even if she hasn't been.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 14:10:27

Calistemon

Kali2

The thing is, you are not really allowed to ask, and if you do, they have not forced to tell the truth. Same in hsopitals, same in care homes, etc!!!

No, that's true. Is it an intrusion of privacy to ask? Should we be allowed to ask so as to make an informed decision?

And she could just answer 'Yes, of course' even if she hasn't been.

I think care home staff have to be vaccinated now, Kali, even those just visiting for other purposes.

TerriBull Mon 29-Nov-21 15:45:31

Zoejory

*the hairdressers I go to are evangelical about mask wearing, happy to comply with, although rather annoyingly they stipulate that clients must buy from them a bog standard medical mask for which they charge £3.50*

TerriBull!

That has absolutely shocked me. And I don't shock easily

Take your custom elsewhere.

Yes I have thought about that, we only moved to where we are living now this year, so it's not as if I'm a long standing loyal client. So far, no one else on this thread has posted that they are expected to purchase a mask from their hairdresser hmm

Granniesunite Mon 29-Nov-21 15:53:08

We’ve always worm masks here in Scotland In public places and my hairdresser is very good at social distance etc and wears a mask all day herself as do her colleagues. I feel safe

I’d be changing hairdressers Zoejory would they refuse you entry if you brought your own mask I wonder.

Kate1949 Mon 29-Nov-21 15:55:04

At my hair clinic (I have a hair system) they wear masks, visors, plastic aprons, plastic gloves. The reception girls are behind perspex. I am expected to wear a mask, which I do. Each stylist has her own room so I only have contact with her. They use disposable towels and capes. I feel as safe as I could be.

Marydoll Mon 29-Nov-21 16:03:01

My hairdresser provides masks, free of charge.

FarNorth Mon 29-Nov-21 17:02:03

Northernlass I wouldn't be going there anyway, if masks aren't used.
That seems more of a risk than anyone's vax status, since anyone can be a carrier.

Northernlass Tue 30-Nov-21 11:22:37

Good point FarNorth!

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:29:13

She'll have to wear a mask now (good) - and any natural immunity she had will have faded over time.

I don't understand the 'not been tested enough yet' excuse. It's just not logical. We've seen the dangers of Covid and the lasting illness/disability of Long Covid - surely far more alarming than any potential risk from the vaccine.

Galaxy Tue 30-Nov-21 12:19:33

The poor service industry. They cant win really. If I went to places where customers were routinely demanding peoples medical information I wouldnt go back in order to avoid those customers!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 30-Nov-21 13:08:03

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if someone such as a hairdresser who is in close proximity to you for a lengthy period if they are vaccinated. It’s not my idea of asking for personal medical information. You’re hardly enquiring if they have an STD!

Northernlass Fri 03-Dec-21 20:12:42

Galaxy: I have to agree with Germanshepherdsmum. The consequences of catching covid may have far reaching effects - not just on me but my family too, not to mention the NHS. Why wouldn't I do everything I can to keep myself and the wider population safe and well?

JaneJudge Fri 03-Dec-21 20:17:09

At least the hairdresser is in work doing her job under government guidelines and not breaking those guidelines like they did in No 10 last Christmas whilst having a boozy party whilst everyone else was in lockdown or under restrictions

Galaxy Fri 03-Dec-21 20:36:56

How does asking that question in anyway keep you safe. They say yes and that magically makes you safer?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 09:19:47

Isn’t she breaking guidelines about vaccination Jane?

Galaxy Sat 04-Dec-21 12:22:08

No.