Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So far only a hypothetical situation, but what would you do?

(115 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:55:16

A delightful young woman does the same job as me, but usually at a different site so we only work together occasionally depending on staffing problems and timetable issues. She is lovely, clever, charming and good at her job. Normally I enjoy working with her. But, she is a Covid non believer! Neither she, her husband or her son have been vaccinated. She won't wear a mask. ( During earlier mask wearing instructions she had a " Covid exempt" lanyard. I had presumed it was a medical reason, but apparently not). She doesn't even believe in or does any testing. Back when the vaccinations first came out, as we were furloughed, we were sent to help at the vax centres. I absolutely loved doing it, but she refused as she didn't believe or approve of them.
I have really worked hard to stay safe and have always worn a mask at work all day, on public transport and in shops and public places. I have had all my vaccinations.
Staffing at work at the moment is really bad and we are being moved all over the place. The chances are that sooner or later, I will be sent to work with her or she will have to come to my location. Do you think I would be entitled or justified to refuse to work with her?

welbeck Mon 06-Dec-21 02:11:02

OP, if not already, i think you should join a trade union.
if any dispute arises re employment law, health and safety duty on employer etc, they would be a useful source of information/support.
it also helps to see the wider picture.
what is happening in other settings, best practice etc.
good luck.

nanna8 Mon 06-Dec-21 00:28:48

Good job for her she doesn’t live here in Australia because she would quite likely lose her job. You can’t even go into a dress shop or K mart without a vaccination certificate.

Lizbethann55 Sun 05-Dec-21 23:57:50

Thank you all for your comments. I have checked the timetable and I am not working with her. However, my good friend is, and she certainly won't hold back with her opinions. We do not work in an office so I can keep clear of her, but we do work with the public, very often in close proximity , such as when we are helping them use computers which means being right with them and learning over them. I wonder if she should actually be allowed to be in work at all. But that is another question entirely.

pigsmayfly. Wed 01-Dec-21 10:23:42

As your work colleague isn’t vaccinated she brings risk to the workplace that you don’t bring. ( otherwise unvaccinated care workers wouldn’t have been sacked). I suggest that you ask your manager if reasonable adjustment can be made in the workplace to mitigate this risk. I would write that request. Say how much you enjoy working with her etc and how you respect but don’t share her views on this. Your employer then holds responsibility. This may look like having your own work space away from hers for example. I would not ignore it. This is your life and well being.

onedayatatime Wed 01-Dec-21 09:59:20

BlueRuby 100% agree

Baggs Wed 01-Dec-21 08:15:06

That was replying to the post about the risks of driving. Thought I had quoted it.

Baggs Wed 01-Dec-21 08:13:47

Absolutely true. I was imparting positive information to counteract, just a little, the constant doom-mongering. Sorry for having a positive outlook ?

onedayatatime Wed 01-Dec-21 06:50:39

the MAJORITY of COVID patients in ICU are unvaccinated, SHAME on them, no wonder the medical staff are so frustrated

BlueRuby Wed 01-Dec-21 05:14:01

No. I wouldn't work with her. I don't let anyone I don't know into my house without a mask, which has annoyed some workmen but hey ho! I'm paying them, they are not doing me a favour. I haven't protected myself and my husband for nearly two years to be infected by some numpty who thinks not believing in Covid will protect them. There is no freedom in being dead.

FarNorth Tue 30-Nov-21 22:28:33

now you are letting this 'fear' change the way you react to her, just because of her personal views.

No.
Because of her choice to endanger others.

f77ms Tue 30-Nov-21 19:44:03

Luckygirl3

My friend has just come back from France. The rules are clear and tight and people obey them.

What is the matter with some people here that they cannot just bite the bullet and get on with it? It is pathetic.

I am sorry to sound like an old Grandma (!?) but we all have some concept of what people during two world wars tolerated and they just got on with it - blackouts, gas masks, rationing etc.

I am getting tired of hearing these snowflakes thinking they are hard done by when really so little is being asked of them under the current rules.

Disgruntled of Great Britain smile

I agree with you! Its pathetic. I would likevto know what medical issue prevents someone from wearing a mask. I have lung cancer and am quite breathless but can wear a mask, my son is Autisic but wears a mask, my dil has asthma but wears a mask. Friend has Copd but can wear a mask. What possible reason can there be! People need to man or woman up and stop being so selfish.

growstuff Tue 30-Nov-21 19:23:16

I know several people who have had Covid, most caught from school age children. Two people in my extended family have died. Both deaths could have been avoided.

growstuff Tue 30-Nov-21 19:20:53

naughtynanny There is robust evidence that people who have been vaccinated aren't so severely affected. The evidence is at population level, so admittedly can't predict the outcome for individuals, but it is not correct to claim that vaccination makes no difference. There is some emerging evidence that vaccinated people carry less viral load.

Personally, I would be more concerned about whether this person respects social distancing and good ventilation and tests herself regularly, as everyone should be.

I don't really understand the obsession with vaccine passports, but it's no surprise that the public over-emphasise the importance of vaccinations as a public health measure. Personally, I think they're daft not to try and protect themselves, but that's their problem.

GreyKnitter Tue 30-Nov-21 19:16:36

I knows several people who have had COVID, some mildly and some much more seriously. My daughter and her ex have both had it, he had it twice, in spite of them both being double vaccinated. Currently 3 of our grandchildren are infected. Luckily we’ve not had it and we’re hoping it stays that way. If I was working, then I think I would speak to my line manager about my concerns. People who do the right thing shouldn’t be out at risk by those who chose not to.

naughtynanny Tue 30-Nov-21 19:07:32

As it stands right now, both you, and the unvaxed lady, are on a level playing field. Despite your jabs, you can still get C19 and pass it on, and so can she. There is no validity at all in, ' but the vaccinated won't get it so bad', how are you ever going to know if you've had it worse, or not so bad as anyone else. There's no score sheet with marks out of 10.
This is SO divisive. You liked working with the lady, you found her lovely, clever and charming, and now you are letting this 'fear' change the way you react to her, just because of her personal views.

That is grossly unfair of you, and you are actually discriminating against her.
Wear your mask, protect yourself if you feel more comfortable, you do you, and let her do her, and carry on your lovely working relationship. Don't forget she will remember this in time to come...... then you'll be the one feeling awkward.

growstuff Tue 30-Nov-21 19:02:35

Baggs

Most people who get it recover from covid.

Most people can go for a drive and not get killed. That doesn't mean that there are no traffic accidents or that people are less likely to die in their car if they drive safely and watch out for people who drive badly.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 18:55:19

Most people who get it recover from covid.

FarNorth Tue 30-Nov-21 17:54:44

Kimi64 Your point is??

Kimi64 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:48:12

I know about 5 or 6 of my colleagues that have had Covid and although some were very ill all recovered ?

Kimi64 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:45:34

It does rile me when people wear exempt badges when they are not exempt ,and is it really awful to wear a mask when popping into a store ? They should think about those that have to wear them all day every day in their jobs.

VeeScott Tue 30-Nov-21 17:37:14

Personally I would assure her she is entitled to her opinion and then insist I sit double the distance from her.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:01:54

I don't know anyone whose had Covid or is anti the vaccination either Baggs.

I am a worrier though and became really anxious during the first lock down and don't want to get like that again. We're jabbed. Mr. S. x 3, me x 2 but should get my booster next week and we've continued to take sensible precautions throughout.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:51:53

I don’t know any COVID deniers. I don’t know anyone who has had COVID either.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:47:55

Asymptomatic

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:47:25

Though for some people it is even less than a touch of flu or cold otherwise there wouldn’t be a symptomatic cases.