Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New study shows mask wearing can reduce Covid by up to 225 times

(17 Posts)
Juicywords Fri 10-Dec-21 11:42:24

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/face-masks-covid-risk-social-distancing-pandemic-b970541.html

Aveline Fri 10-Dec-21 11:47:45

I wear mine. No problem. Just do it.

Galaxy Fri 10-Dec-21 12:08:45

Oh God dont tell people that social distancing isnt effective, I hate people too close to me grin

maddyone Fri 10-Dec-21 12:55:04

I’ve always believed masks offer protection and so am pleased that it has been proven.

rosie1959 Fri 10-Dec-21 13:18:31

maddyone

I’ve always believed masks offer protection and so am pleased that it has been proven.

My husband is also very pleased with mask wearing it keeps me from shopping as I absolutely hate them
There is always click and send

Iam64 Fri 10-Dec-21 13:26:18

Good. What is needed is this real news being covered more than fake no sense

maddyone Fri 10-Dec-21 13:43:38

Rosiegrin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Dec-21 14:01:47

We’ve more or less used up our store of blue masks, and this time I’ve ordered a high specification, because I’ve become more and more convinced of the protection wearing them gives me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Dec-21 14:12:50

Oh what I should have said is that I bought the highest specification I could to try to mitigate against the selfish b…s who refuse to wear one.

Waterloosunset Fri 10-Dec-21 14:14:45

I too have used up the blue ones and thinking to change…any recommendations on high spec ones?

M0nica Fri 10-Dec-21 14:34:17

I started wearing masks and gloves as soon as lockdown started and stopped wearing both when restrictions were relaxed last summer - unless it was requested, but I returned to wearing them when numbers began rising again.

I started with home made fabric masks, but switched to the disposable, but I find these only acceptable for short term emergency use as I find them very difficult to breath in.

I now have fabric masks, including some that have an inner layer of, I think, a fine foam, all of which I find comfortable to wear and easy to breathe in.

shysal Fri 10-Dec-21 17:39:26

FFP2 masks give the best protection for wearer as well as others (Google it). They can be disposable of re-usable.

Mollygo Fri 10-Dec-21 18:40:59

I’ve just watched a busy Glasgow Street, with masks noticeably missing. Then there was Southampton - again with few masks. I went into town on the way home from work and the message seems to have got through here, though many people never stopped wearing masks in shops. Most impressive here has been the Uni buses, which have students and other passengers wearing masks consistently even before the latest info. As for us, we’ve stocked up with the best we can get.
I tweet shops and cafes regularly about lanyard wearers serving on sandwich or delicatessen counters, especially when I get lectured on peoples’ rights not to wear a mask. I always agree they have that right, but point out that a lanyard protects neither the wearer nor me so I’d like a masked server and some bacon from the bottom of the pile.
Usually, in the shops, once I make my request for a masked assistant to serve my food, someone appears, rather than leaving me to keep reiterating my very polite request.
Am I just being awkward?

MayBee70 Fri 10-Dec-21 18:48:57

I went to the garage to fill up with petrol and I was the only person wearing a mask when I went into the shop to pay.

nandad Fri 10-Dec-21 18:56:00

Personally I would like to see masks as a permanent fixture in restaurants where food is served buffet style.
We are away in Salisbury at the moment and the number of people who are going here there and everywhere to collect their breakfast items in our hotel without masks on is incredible. Watch them and they are talking, coughing and leaning into the food without a care. It’s made me rethink the serve yourself salad bars.
I feel sorry for the lovely staff who are still wearing a smile behind their masks who have to put up with selfish customers.

Casdon Fri 10-Dec-21 19:59:33

I wonder if it’s a cultural thing in different places? In my nearest small town everybody does seem to wear masks, and I was queuing in the post office today, people just automatically stood 6 feet apart. It might be because lots of people know each other and will point out any transgressions, or maybe rural places are just naturally more compliant.

theworriedwell Fri 10-Dec-21 20:10:39

nandad

Personally I would like to see masks as a permanent fixture in restaurants where food is served buffet style.
We are away in Salisbury at the moment and the number of people who are going here there and everywhere to collect their breakfast items in our hotel without masks on is incredible. Watch them and they are talking, coughing and leaning into the food without a care. It’s made me rethink the serve yourself salad bars.
I feel sorry for the lovely staff who are still wearing a smile behind their masks who have to put up with selfish customers.

You don't want to see the analysis of salad bars. I worked for a local council for a couple of years, trading standards would collect samples and the scientific dept would analyse. Let's just say some people clearly hadn't washed their hands after using the loo.

I stopped using salad bars after that.