Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Question

(16 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Dec-21 16:44:43

Does anyone know if someone catches omicron that the immunity you gain from it will also protect you against delta etc?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Dec-21 16:53:24

The reason I ask is that so far I have read that the symptoms are
Flu like aches and pains
Sore throat
Runny nose
Headache.

The point is if these mild symptoms are confirmed, then those not vaccinated can afford to catch it and become immune. Job done?

Hetty58 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:17:14

With Delta, one in three have no symptoms, so I'd expect more to have no symptoms if Omicron is milder.

It's not yet known how effective vaccination (and/or immunity from infection) will be against it, but it's all we have right now. The chances are that it will protect, somewhat.

Immunity may well be very short lived, though, perhaps only two or three months - so no, it's not 'job done' - it's not that simple.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:20:58

I understood that in the long term, there is no immunity from Covid or it’s variants.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:28:46

☹️oh, just hoping that those who are frightened of the vaccine would have a way out of the dilemma.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Dec-21 17:29:10

Thanks for the replies.

ayse Sun 12-Dec-21 17:35:40

Heard something today on LBC that horrified me. It’s said the government is planning to sign a 5 year contract with Pfizer for supplies for 5 years costing huge amounts of money.

I also saw the doctor from South Africa this morning saying that although some had been hospitalised the vast majority only has very mild symptoms.

Surely it’s better to gain natural immunity rather than pumping ourselves with a vaccine every three months providing that most people only have minor symptoms.

I certainly don’t go along with vaccinating 5 year olds as apparently it’s more likely they will suffer more from myocarditis than from the virus. Having the vaccine does not prevent transmission so it’s a spurious argument that it will protect others.

I’ve been jabbed and boosted but unless Omicron is show to be more fatal than Delta I’m not doing it again. I’m not talking about being complacent but data on viruses such as Covid (this includes the common cold) suggests that the virus weakens over time as happened with the Spanish flu.

I’m with Whitewaveon this.

EllanVannin Sun 12-Dec-21 17:48:38

I don't see anything about those who are or have been intolerant to the vaccine. An alternative ? I include myself with a blood-clotting condition. What are we supposed to do ? Hide ? grin

Calistemon Sun 12-Dec-21 17:53:54

Whitewavemark2

Does anyone know if someone catches omicron that the immunity you gain from it will also protect you against delta etc?

No, sorry, I don't know but I'm not sure that deliberately catching it to gain immunity would be a good idea.

There seem to be so many questions but few answers.
Why do some people have no symptoms but others are seriously ill or die even if vaccinated?
What will happen if we've all caught it in the near future - will it die out?
Or will the virus mutate again (probably)

And, to answer the question - possibly not, as cold viruses (coronaviruses) mutate, flu viruses mutate and we catch them again and again.

MerylStreep Sun 12-Dec-21 18:00:31

Did anyone else see the Dispatches program on Pfizer.
They have made $38 billion profit this year.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-Dec-21 18:01:10

I didn't think it through did I?

EllanVannin Sun 12-Dec-21 18:02:49

The 'flu vaccines are "tweaked" each year according to the type of virus around at the time.

As youngsters we were bunged out to play with the " spotty " kids----German measles/ measles/ mumps/ chickenpox etc. and contracted most of these illnesses----on purpose.

Calistemon Sun 12-Dec-21 18:20:25

MerylStreep

Yes.

ayse Sun 12-Dec-21 18:30:55

Calistemon

MerylStreep

Yes.

No, I couldn’t bear to watch. Huge profits and unvaccinated across the world. So cynical and so much for all pulling together!

MerylStreep Sun 12-Dec-21 18:35:12

They didn’t come out smelling of roses, did they? ?

ayse Sun 12-Dec-21 18:36:53

EllanVannin

I don't see anything about those who are or have been intolerant to the vaccine. An alternative ? I include myself with a blood-clotting condition. What are we supposed to do ? Hide ? grin

Side effects: No probably not as any side effects are rarely talked about as it wouldn’t be good publicity but some are advised not to take the vaccine because of their pre-existing conditions.

I don’t hide but I’ve had the vaccines although I thought quite seriously about not having it. It’s worth remembering that the vaccine does not prevent infection but reduces the severity of any infection. It doesn’t stop transmission either.