Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lateral flow guides

(25 Posts)
ShazzaKanazza Wed 15-Dec-21 07:52:02

Good morning
I was just saying to DH as we are doing our lateral flow tests that what a good idea it would be if say at six o’clock before the evening news there was a couple of minutes where they showed the correct way to do a lateral flow test a bit like a party political broadcast. With Christmas coming up it could be a good thing. Maybe a daft suggestion sorry if it is lol. I was thinking aloud.

JaneJudge Wed 15-Dec-21 07:54:06

There are different instructions depending on what brand of kit you receive

Audi10 Wed 15-Dec-21 08:01:55

I read the pamphlet that is inside and do as instructed

MayBeMaw Wed 15-Dec-21 08:41:15

And unlike IKEA instructions, the leaflet is very easy to understand and follow. Just take your time first time.

lemsip Wed 15-Dec-21 08:43:27

there are NHS instructions on you tube......DR Amir Khan show how.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCqo7MhQT6U

I pick my lateral flow tests up from Boots. they are free.....NHS blue and white box....not known of any other Brands!

Witzend Wed 15-Dec-21 08:43:50

TBH if you’re able to read and understand simple instructions, I wouldn’t have thought anything else was necessary.
We’ve never found them a problem at all.

BlueSky Wed 15-Dec-21 12:29:44

Love dr Amir Khan! Seems so approachable and caring.

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Dec-21 12:33:18

I think its a good suggestion ShazzaKanazza. The more information the better.

Esspee Wed 15-Dec-21 14:21:04

The instructions on the ones we have received so far are quite straightforward. Is this suggestion to help those with learning difficulties?

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Dec-21 14:38:56

I beg your pardon?

What a ridiculous comment.

MandL Wed 15-Dec-21 14:57:09

I think this is a really good suggestion. Not everyone reads instructions. If it gets the correct method across to just a few it is worth it

ShazzaKanazza Wed 15-Dec-21 15:02:35

Well Thankyou Alegrias and Mandl you convinced me it wasn’t entirely an absolutely ridiculous post. Cos I was starting to feel really stupid.

Forsythia Wed 15-Dec-21 15:07:59

Read the instructions and watch the video online. But, for those who don’t understand too readily there can be no harm in what is being suggested to be on the safe side. Why not?

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Dec-21 16:30:51

You're welcome ShazzaKanazza.

Having a quick public information film on how the test should be done, and how to register it, will not only help people understand how to do it. It will also remind people that we should be doing it and demonstrate how easy it is. Although so many GNers appear to be entirely up to date with all the information about the testing, and not in need of any assistance at all, some people aren't.

Some advice from me to the detractors, although nobody is obliged to adhere to it: don't ever try for a job in marketing or communications.

Calistemon Wed 15-Dec-21 16:46:46

1. Poke down throat until you gag (or, if you're like me, you start gagging before it gets near your lips)

2 Swirl round nostril, try not to poke too hard.

Does anyone have any tips how to do this without gagging?

Calistemon Wed 15-Dec-21 16:48:50

I thought LFT tests were going to be introduced which required a buccal swab?

MayBee70 Wed 15-Dec-21 16:50:40

lemsip

there are NHS instructions on you tube......DR Amir Khan show how.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCqo7MhQT6U

I pick my lateral flow tests up from Boots. they are free.....NHS blue and white box....not known of any other Brands!

We didn’t realise that you had to get a code to get them from chemists now. DH tried to get one from Boots today but then had to come home to get a code so he could then go back. Last time we just picked one up when we were buying other things.

Smileless2012 Wed 15-Dec-21 16:57:33

It's a good suggestion Shazza. Those who don't need additional information wont need to listen and it would be very beneficial to those who dosmile.

SueDonim Wed 15-Dec-21 17:52:56

Are all types of LFT the same in terms of how to conduct them? We’ve been doing regular PCR’s for research so are used to doing them.

The first packs I had came with a twelve-page leaflet of information! shock I hope it’s been condensed now. You do need to be quite nimble fingered to do them. My Dh has bad arthritis in his hands and would struggle to do it without my help.

paddyann54 Wed 15-Dec-21 18:04:25

The LFT we get is a nasal swab ,no throat swab needed.Its a Green box with 7 tests in it .On the box it states Orient Gene Rapid Covid test .Its very straight forward to use.

kathsue Wed 15-Dec-21 18:27:49

Just watched the dr Kahn video. That LFT shown is different to the ones I do which give you a result in 20 mins. It's very fiddly getting the top off the vial, then putting the liquid in the tube, then squidging the swab in the liquid and getting 2 drops into the little space on the test strip. It must be very difficult for anyone with arthritic hands or poor eyesight.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Dec-21 18:37:31

ShazzaKanazza, when you order online, you're emailed instructions. Still, I think you have a really good idea, in that they could do a lot more to encourage those who have never tested.

Raising the profile of testing, normalising and encouraging regular testing for all, through TV, would reach those who try to ignore the whole pandemic situation.

PamelaJ1 Wed 15-Dec-21 19:37:41

I ran out of the ones that included throat swabbing. Now it’s just noses.
I spent ages looking for the testing liquid? Those of you who have had both types of kit will know what I mean!

Juliet27 Wed 15-Dec-21 19:47:03

Yes I know exactly what you mean PamelaJ1 I was fooled for a while too.

Calistemon Wed 15-Dec-21 19:51:15

paddyann54

The LFT we get is a nasal swab ,no throat swab needed.Its a Green box with 7 tests in it .On the box it states Orient Gene Rapid Covid test .Its very straight forward to use.

I think I need that type, paddyann.