Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New isolation rules for England

(14 Posts)
rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 05:20:16

For information I noticed that England will be having new isolation rules. Isolation will be reduced from 10 days to 7 if symptoms have gone you will be able to test on day 6 and 7 and a negative test will release you from isolation

Marydoll Wed 22-Dec-21 06:21:34

Here is a link to the guardian.

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/covid-self-isolation-cut-to-seven-days-for-jabbed-people-in-england

rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 06:39:07

Thank you for link Marydoll

Lincslass Wed 22-Dec-21 07:41:26

My SIL after contact, has been told by NHS to test daily for 7 days. Notice the BBC were giving wrong advice this morning re this. No wonder people get confused. Asking two experts, who after discussing the science, agreed with this reduction, then after the break asking another expert. It is as is they’re really trying hard to discredit this, which will stop people, if negative test, from having to stay at home uneccesarily. Surely a good thing for mental health, and the economy.

rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 07:57:02

Also confusingly the guardian report seems to say that this new isolation rule does not apply to the unvaccinated which is incorrect.
Unvaccinated still have to isolate 10 days if they are in contact but not if infected themselves

Lincslass Wed 22-Dec-21 09:06:22

rosie1959

Also confusingly the guardian report seems to say that this new isolation rule does not apply to the unvaccinated which is incorrect.
Unvaccinated still have to isolate 10 days if they are in contact but not if infected themselves

Yes the BBC didn’t say this either, hope people don’t take their advice!!

lemongrove Wed 22-Dec-21 09:10:04

Speaking to a GP, she didn’t place much faith in the lateral flow tests, says only a accurate about 50% of the time, which is worrying.Only the PCR test accurate according to her.

rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:15:09

Guardian have now changed their news item

rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:16:37

lemongrove

Speaking to a GP, she didn’t place much faith in the lateral flow tests, says only a accurate about 50% of the time, which is worrying.Only the PCR test accurate according to her.

You couldn’t use a PCR test for this purpose apparently it could show residue from the virus for weeks

Josieann Wed 22-Dec-21 09:33:09

Lincslass

rosie1959

Yes the BBC didn’t say this either, hope people don’t take their advice!!

And people wonder why we get confused?
So where do young children stand on this one?
For parents with young children, any reduction in days would be welcome. 7 days isolation seems more reasonable in their case.

lemongrove Wed 22-Dec-21 09:37:37

Yes rosie I think my GP was speaking generally about the tests.

GagaJo Wed 22-Dec-21 09:45:50

I don't trust the 7 day isolation. The standard elsewhere is 10 days. I'm avoiding Covid positive friends / family for 10 days regardless.

rosie1959 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:51:20

Josieann as it’s both vaccinated and unvaccinated that can release after 7 days children will be the same
Gagajo I believe France already has changed to 7 days science moves on

Lincslass Wed 22-Dec-21 11:16:41

GPS really need to keep up with the research, again poor information is not helping . Even I and my friends had read this report, being retired RGN we like to keep informed.
www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999