Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

10 days isolation - random really

(10 Posts)
ElaineI Sat 01-Jan-22 13:00:04

So DGS1 tested positive - no symptoms before school finished. Whole family then had to isolate for 10 days. About 4 days after DD1 and SiL tested positive so 10 days started again. They were both ill - flu like but able to look after kids and clean/cook etc. That 10 days ended Thursday so yesterday were able to collect new car. Yesterday - day 11 DGD (4) was negative on lateral flow. Today she is positive - day 12. She has sobbed for an hour as she can't come and see us, her cousin and exchange presents though we are going to drop them off. And another 10 days of isolation and one parent will have to stay off work with her. My main point is why was 10 days the chosen period of isolation or is it just a probability that you are not infectious? DGD has been with no one apart from her parents and brother as she is only 4 or out anywhere at all. I do realise that she could have picked it up from her parents 2 days ago but that would have been day 9 for them and government are saying cut isolation to 7 or 5 days. That makes sense - not. Other point no one I know has tested negative on day 7 or day 8 after having Covid so is that also random to placate employers and the economy?

Kamiso Sat 01-Jan-22 13:05:29

Obviously the govt should have given you special exemption!

Aveline Sat 01-Jan-22 13:19:08

DD and DS were very happy to test negative on day 7.

Jaxjacky Sat 01-Jan-22 13:31:34

Our friend tested negative on days 6&7.

GreyKnitter Sat 01-Jan-22 13:38:15

I think there are still many unknowns. My granddaughter (14) and her family do rapid flow tests very regularly and have been exceptionally careful about going out and meeting people. Yesterday granddaughter was admitted to hospital for hip issues and tested positive - no symptoms, so was send home with minimal treatment. This morning her mother tested positive - again no symptoms. It’s so hard to be safe when the guidance changes and presumably lots of people not testing regularly and without symptoms are out and about spreading it. They know of no one in their small friendship groups who has tested positive and they haven’t seen anyone else.

Ilovecheese Sat 01-Jan-22 14:20:51

I suppose it must vary from person to person, so best go err on the cautious side I think, upsetting as it can be.

winterwhite Sat 01-Jan-22 16:38:24

I think we're being scared senseless unnecessarily.

Early Dec I thought the sort of bad cold that they now say is prob Omicron. Tested neg. DH never even sneezed.

Then DGD (21), double jabbed and waiting for booster, tested positive on the 23rd. Bit sniffly and coldy, no other symptoms. Her parents (both double jabbed & boosted) decided they would mix normally at home rather than isolate her in her room. No visiting or visitors. Neither of them even sneezed either, nor did her brother (19), also double jabbed and waiting for booster.

So seems to me that the risk of catching it is much, much lower for vaccinated persons.

GagaJo Sat 01-Jan-22 17:09:29

I had a student earlier this year who was still testing positive after a month. Whether he was still infectious I don't know.

Mattsmum2 Sat 01-Jan-22 20:30:35

With 1 in 40 people potentially with covid its going to happen more and more even if we’re careful.

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jan-22 21:01:11

We are on this long road too. I was really hoping that I would test positive today to ensure I could go on a Warners break the week after next. Was in contact with someone (L) who tested positive last Tuesday. It seems very hit and miss, my DS tested positive today but L’s wife is still negative.
I would like to go for a PCR but they are over run and you are only supposed to go for one if you have symptoms and I don’t.
So another day tomorrow, another LFT.
Good luck everyone.