Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Novak Djokovic

(428 Posts)
Germanshepherdsmum Wed 05-Jan-22 11:07:28

Do you think his exemption from covid vaccination is a bit odd? I understand Australians are not happy about letting him into the country and the likelihood is that he will be booed when he plays according to Andrew Castle.

Rosalyn69 Mon 21-Feb-22 22:26:54

I’d like to know how he’s playing in Dubai. I’ve just returned from holiday there and needed proof of 3 jabs plus a PCR test to enter the country.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 22-Jan-22 10:49:30

I have no idea. The Scottish legal system is different.

annodomini Sat 22-Jan-22 10:10:12

I may be out of date, but when I was young, in Scotland what we call a solicitor in England was usually referred to as a lawyer. A Scots barrister is an advocate.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 22-Jan-22 09:43:33

You are absolutely correct maddy. I don't know where the term 'lawyer' originated but it's used as a general catch-all for solicitors, barristers and legal executives (who used to be called solicitors' clerks).
A Registered Foreign Lawyer is a person who qualified as lawyer anywhere outside England and Wales but who has passed the transfer test meaning that they are qualified to practise not only in the country where they originally qualified, but also in England and Wales.

LauraNorderr Fri 21-Jan-22 21:56:47

The terms Registered Foreign Lawyer and Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test are those used by the Law Society of England and Wales Maddy but yes I agree we use the term solicitor here.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 18:46:26

I’m not sure what a qualified lawyer is in the UK. We have solicitors and we have barristers. Both have training in order to qualify. The jobs are not interchangeable as I understand it. Solicitors can work on the local high street dealing with divorces, being the duty solicitor, conveyancing, etc but they can also be working for top law firms, often in London or other cities, and are involved in complicated commercial law. Barristers on the other hand are engaged by solicitors and work in various areas of law and in various courts up to and including The Royal Courts of Justice. Sometimes they become QC and sometimes both solicitors and barristers become judges and work so many days a year making judgments. That’s why I don’t understand the use of the word lawyer in the UK. I tend to think of it as an American word. I’m sure GSM will correct me if I’m wrong.

LauraNorderr Fri 21-Jan-22 18:39:11

I agree GSM I’m another who loves that can do attitude of many Australians. That dinky di no nonsense way.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 21-Jan-22 17:38:20

Those that I knew all worked under supervision Laura, as assistant solicitors in local authorities. I found them brilliant to work with. A real ‘can do’ attitude, very refreshing.

LauraNorderr Fri 21-Jan-22 17:31:47

GSM Australian lawyers wishing to manage or own a law firm in the U.K. must register with the Law Society of England and Wales as a Registered Foreign Lawyer and sit the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test.
If they choose not to register they are legally permitted to carry out litigation under supervision under LSA rules.

007shafiq Fri 21-Jan-22 16:50:42

shrinke.me/wQ04PsU

007shafiq Fri 21-Jan-22 16:49:51

Stay at home, and enjoy Danish foodshttps://shrinke.me/wQ04PsU

Agedp1953 Fri 21-Jan-22 16:48:59

I've just had another thought. Because he was deported, without special consideration, he can have any future visa applications refused for 3 years.

If he tries to sue to Australian government, he may well find he wont be able to play in the Aus. Open until 2026!!

Mollygo Fri 21-Jan-22 16:41:01

Agedp1953

He obviously hasn't heard the old saying that when you're in a hole, you should stop digging.

Well put!???

Agedp1953 Fri 21-Jan-22 16:35:49

He obviously hasn't heard the old saying that when you're in a hole, you should stop digging.

Visgir1 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:14:17

This man needs to employ a decent PR team, what is he thinking?
He's not doing himself any favours.

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Jan-22 12:26:37

I wouldn't want to try to break Australian immigration law but then again, I'd be allowed in!

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Jan-22 12:24:53

maddyone

Anyway, this is my thought, not my son’s, but would international law cover this kind of thing? Isn’t it down to Australian law?

Australian immigration law, I would think (not being a lawyer, don't quote me grin

Just imagine if he’d caught Covid, that would have been poetic justice
And I thought he'd had Covid (did he, didn't he?) so could have been post-Covid and not quite up to scratch.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 20-Jan-22 12:20:07

Yes he could launch proceedings in Australia despite not living there. After all Virginia Guiffre usually lives in Australia but is suing Prince Andrew in the US.

maddyone Thu 20-Jan-22 10:44:32

Can he sue from outside the country? I don’t know about that.
Good point about him being self employed. I shall speak to dear son when he’s down for the weekend on Saturday.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 20-Jan-22 10:38:24

And he wasn’t in a job, he’s self employed. I believe Australian law is very similar to our own as I remember quite a lot of Australian lawyers coming here to work.

maddyone Thu 20-Jan-22 10:37:01

Just imagine if he’d caught Covid, that would have been poetic justice grin

maddyone Thu 20-Jan-22 10:34:20

Anyway, this is my thought, not my son’s, but would international law cover this kind of thing? Isn’t it down to Australian law?

maddyone Thu 20-Jan-22 10:32:45

I think, from what he’s said, if you’re unfairly dismissed from a job, you can get an amount to compensate for loss of earnings. But Djokovic wasn’t unfairly dismissed because he broke the rules. My son’s specialty is employment and commercial law. As I understand it if you break the rules you won’t get anything.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 20-Jan-22 10:21:59

Thanks Maddy. I’m not totally out of date then! He might be No 1 in the world but anyone can get injured in their first match - or even catch covid!

maddyone Thu 20-Jan-22 10:17:08

Yes, my son’s a barrister and he says you can only sue for loss, it must be an actual loss as I understand it from him. Not a possible loss as we don’t know how far that he would have gone if he’d played.