Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lock up your hamsters- they may have Covid!

(14 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 18-Jan-22 10:31:04

That’s it really??‍♀️

MayBeMaw Tue 18-Jan-22 11:26:34

I hope you are being ironic, but there have been numerous scare stories about animals spreading Covid and I dare say some owners have been very frightened., possibly even to the extent of giving up their much loved pet because of the paranoia regarding infection.
There was a thread a while back and I found this on it
The RSPCA say :
" In most cases we don't know why pets are abandoned but it's really important to remind people that there is no evidence to suggest that Covid-19 can be passed from pets to people ."

PamelaJ1 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:43:16

Yes I am.
Not sure what to make of the news in the SCMP. It is probably just an excuse for tightening their draconian rules even further.
My niece sent it. She is living there and working as a vet.

Callistemon21 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:57:49

Sadly, all our hamsters were buried in the garden many years ago ?

Oh dear, PamelaJ1 I hope your niece is not called on to euthanise thousands of hamsters.

PamelaJ1 Tue 18-Jan-22 12:09:36

Shouldn’t think so callistemon that would be too kind.

MayBee70 Thu 20-Jan-22 00:23:31

I need to re listen to it but I’m sure DrJohn said in one of his blogs that they used hamsters for testing because their bodies reacted to covid in a more similar way than other animals. He wasn’t, by the way, condoning testing on animals. So when I read about hamsters being culled I remembered the blog .

MayBeMaw Fri 21-Jan-22 18:26:12

Listening to the 6 o clock news I was devastated to hear a 10 year old child sobbing because he was forced to hand over his hamster to be destroyed.
There’s no way I’d let them take Rosie - can you imagine what these poor children are feeling? ???????

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 21-Jan-22 18:31:42

Not funny OP.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 18:31:54

Can you believe this

www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/china/2022/01/why-hong-kong-is-culling-its-hamsters-and-how-citizens-are-fighting-back
???????

PamelaJ1 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:12:45

Oopsadaisy1

Not funny OP.

Didn’t say it was funny did I?

VioletSky Fri 21-Jan-22 19:21:27

That's so sad, it doesn't seem at all logical

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:51:41

They would have to get past myself, DH, DD and the GC to get anywhere near our Hamster (we would bring in reinforcements)…

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 20:14:02

PamelaJ1

Oopsadaisy1

Not funny OP.

Didn’t say it was funny did I?

No, you didn't, PamelaJ1.

If they'd threatened DD's hamster they'd have to have got past her first!
And that hamster had 9 lives.

mokryna Fri 21-Jan-22 20:25:28

Pamela1 It is probably just an excuse for tightening their draconian rules even further
I think you are correct here, the government wants to show everyone even the little ones that they are in charge and can do what they wish, they own you and your mind.