Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hassle ensuing - PCRs can pick up residual traces for 90 days

(14 Posts)
aonk Wed 19-Jan-22 15:48:59

Thank you. I hadn’t realised this.

Mamgu758 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:20:33

aonk:

If your DD has tested positive on a lateral flow we no longer have to do PCR tests to confirm. The rules changed regarding this on the 11th January, 2022.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:03:12

aonk

I should add that she fully intends to self isolate.

She has done nothing wrong if she just reports her LFT they will follow up with the necessary advice and an Email from track and trace

aonk Wed 19-Jan-22 14:50:23

I should add that she fully intends to self isolate.

aonk Wed 19-Jan-22 14:49:40

My SIL tested positive on an LFT at the weekend so he and my DD went for PCRs. He was positive and my DD negative. She woke up with cold symptoms this morning so did an LFT which was positive. She’s now refusing to go for another PCR. I don’t blame her really but is this wrong?

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:09:39

ElaineI

I don't understand why you are doing PCRs at the end and what does ONS mean?
You do a PCR if you have symptoms and then lateral flows on day 6 and 7 and can go out if negative and you are fully vaccinated. Also on day 5 in England.

Office for national statistics we have been doing monthly PCRs for around a year and a half as part of the study
We have also done blood tests to check for antibodies
This is nothing to do with tests for sickness or symptoms

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 14:05:06

If and when I fly to Australia I shall need a pre flight PCR. Having had covid it could show up still as positive. Apparently I have to get a certificate from doctor to explain….

ElaineI Wed 19-Jan-22 13:26:00

I don't understand why you are doing PCRs at the end and what does ONS mean?
You do a PCR if you have symptoms and then lateral flows on day 6 and 7 and can go out if negative and you are fully vaccinated. Also on day 5 in England.

Jaxjacky Wed 19-Jan-22 12:50:57

Testing after 5 days in with a lateral flow test Greenfinch a PCR measures differently..

Greenfinch Wed 19-Jan-22 12:17:28

My son in law was in hospital with COVID pneumonia in October. Upon release he was told not to do any tests for 90 days as although not infectious he could still test positive because of some remnants of COVID in his system and so I don’t understand all this instruction about testing after 5 days etc.

Elless Wed 19-Jan-22 11:41:54

I'm the same Witzend, I caught Covid after Christmas, after ten days I had three negative LFT's so sent a PCR away which came back positive. Test and Trace phoned me because I didn't input my second code and when I told them it hasn't changed since I put my first code in they just said ignore it. It's a farce.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 09:51:24

Thanks for the information we also do tests for the ONS and we are both have Covid at the moment don’t fancy going through that rigmarole

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Jan-22 09:48:35

I vaguely remember the case of the three young lads stuck in Switzerland (?) last year (could have been 2020) who couldn’t fly home until they had a negative PCR.

They were kept in separate rooms in a quarantine hotel for many weeks/months until the test came back negative.

Witzend Wed 19-Jan-22 09:43:57

Triple jabbed, dh and I had COVID very mildly right after Christmas. PCR positive results were reported.

My final negative LFT test was on 11th Jan.
On the 13th we did the usual regular tests for the ONS - someone comes to the door and tests are sent away, so PCR.

Roll on a couple of days and I’m pinged to say I’m positive, MUST contact test and trace, MUST self isolate, etc.

I knew it had to be a false positive, so didn’t do the online T and T, thing, since wouldn’t be able to explain the circs. But you can’t ring them, you have to wait for them to ring you. I did however do 2 LFTs, to be 100% sure, both clear negatives.

There were more URGENT pings from T and T, until someone finally did ring me, and I was able to explain.
She admitted that PCRs can show false positives for 90 days, so could ignore.

But evidently there’s no joining up of info. The ONS callers ask a zillion questions every time, before we do the tests (swab and fingerprick for antibodies) so they were certainly informed that we’d both only just had, and recovered from, COVID.

Funnily enough, dh’s ONS test was ‘inconclusive’ - first time ever, and we’ve been doing them for nearly 2 years now.

All the MUST! pinging was decidedly stressful though!